Question about softs

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ivan91
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:17 pm

Question about softs

Postby Ivan91 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:41 pm

Do you think being on some leadership positions such as student representative of some college committee, being a senator or a president of the SG help when applying to law schools? I know these are most useful when comes to B-schools and law schools are all about numbers, but still ?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Question about softs

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:46 pm

Not really.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Question about softs

Postby 2014 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:59 pm

It's better than being a normal member of said organizations...
Still not particularly useful though.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Question about softs

Postby 005618502 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:06 pm

Exec board for professional org. 2 summers interning for DA. helped with judicial campaign (side by side with candidate, small district election), 4 years collegiate lacrosse, and 2 years SG. 100+ hours community service (Susan G Komen mainly, mom beat cancer so very involved).

Would this be considered excellent, good, average, or weak softs?

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: Question about softs

Postby WestOfTheRest » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:28 pm

jt1341 wrote:Exec board for professional org. 2 summers interning for DA. helped with judicial campaign (side by side with candidate, small district election), 4 years collegiate lacrosse, and 2 years SG. 100+ hours community service (Susan G Komen mainly, mom beat cancer so very involved).

Would this be considered excellent, good, average, or weak softs?

Average to better than average. On this site however and at t14, probably average.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Question about softs

Postby 005618502 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:34 pm

CastleRock wrote:
jt1341 wrote:Exec board for professional org. 2 summers interning for DA. helped with judicial campaign (side by side with candidate, small district election), 4 years collegiate lacrosse, and 2 years SG. 100+ hours community service (Susan G Komen mainly, mom beat cancer so very involved).

Would this be considered excellent, good, average, or weak softs?

Average to better than average. On this site however and at t14, probably average.


Yea your probably right.

User avatar
robotclubmember
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:53 am

Re: Question about softs

Postby robotclubmember » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:35 pm

I can make a mean cheese and bean dip, does that count as a good soft?
Last edited by robotclubmember on Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Question about softs

Postby kalvano » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:10 am

ITT - people brag about how awesome they think they are before the cold hard truth that it doesn't make a bit of difference sets in.

User avatar
Jack Smirks
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Question about softs

Postby Jack Smirks » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:14 am

kalvano wrote:ITT - people brag about how awesome they think they are before the cold hard truth that it doesn't make a bit of difference sets in.

President of Pre-Law Society or GTFO.

User avatar
$1.99
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:49 am

Re: Question about softs

Postby $1.99 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:27 am

for the t14, if you have these kinds of average softs it makes you the standard applicant, but if you lack them, you stick out

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Question about softs

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:53 am

$1.99 wrote:for the t14, if you have these kinds of average softs it makes you the standard applicant, but if you lack them, you stick out

how bad is sticking out?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Question about softs

Postby kalvano » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:54 am

Depends on how high your numbers are.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Question about softs

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:57 am

kalvano wrote:Depends on how high your numbers are.

around median? above for gpa maybe at or below for lsat.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Question about softs

Postby kalvano » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:00 am

It's my understanding that Yale and Berkley and Stanford are the three schools most interested in softs; the others are more numbers-driven, to a point. Having above-median numbers can compensate for a lack of awesomeness.

Barring high number or very good softs, you just get thrown in with everyone else...luck of the draw.

User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Re: Question about softs

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:24 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
kalvano wrote:Depends on how high your numbers are.

around median? above for gpa maybe at or below for lsat.


Not good. So many applicants have the softs factor that without really high numbers (for the school you're applying to), the school will not have a problem finding someone else who has your numbers + the softs. If you don't have softs (and I did not btw) you should have good numbers and even then you'll be out at some schools (see my profile).

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Question about softs

Postby 005618502 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:29 am

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
kalvano wrote:Depends on how high your numbers are.

around median? above for gpa maybe at or below for lsat.


Not good. So many applicants have the softs factor that without really high numbers (for the school you're applying to), the school will not have a problem finding someone else who has your numbers + the softs. If you don't have softs (and I did not btw) you should have good numbers and even then you'll be out at some schools (see my profile).


What were your numbers? your cycle was awsome...

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Question about softs

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:34 am

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
kalvano wrote:Depends on how high your numbers are.

around median? above for gpa maybe at or below for lsat.


Not good. So many applicants have the softs factor that without really high numbers (for the school you're applying to), the school will not have a problem finding someone else who has your numbers + the softs. If you don't have softs (and I did not btw) you should have good numbers and even then you'll be out at some schools (see my profile).


What were your numbers?

Also I'm referring to mid to low t14 schools.

I know for schools like HYS softs are critical since everyone who has a chance to get in already has epic numbers.

User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Re: Question about softs

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:40 am

jt1341 wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
kalvano wrote:Depends on how high your numbers are.

around median? above for gpa maybe at or below for lsat.


Not good. So many applicants have the softs factor that without really high numbers (for the school you're applying to), the school will not have a problem finding someone else who has your numbers + the softs. If you don't have softs (and I did not btw) you should have good numbers and even then you'll be out at some schools (see my profile).


What were your numbers? your cycle was awsome...


I am happy with the cycle but my point was that w/o at least decent softs, a school like Stanford is a no go. Great softs don't help much but weak softs can hurt. Until I actually started school, I had no idea how accomplished most applicants are. Pretty much every person that I have met so far has a more interesting life story than mine.
177/3.9

Edit: just to clarify "decent softs", I don't mean just president of this or that club or normal community service stuff. I mean teaching English in Tibet, building water purifying facilities in Africa, speaking 5-6 languages, etc.

Ivan91
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:17 pm

Re: Question about softs

Postby Ivan91 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:55 am

OK, let me be a senator and then a president of the SG, score 176 on the LSAT, get a 3.95 GPA and see who gets in - the one who teaches English in Tiber or me :D

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Question about softs

Postby 005618502 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:52 pm

Ivan91 wrote:OK, let me be a senator and then a president of the SG, score 176 on the LSAT, get a 3.95 GPA and see who gets in - the one who teaches English in Tiber or me :D


With the same numbers you will both likely be accepted everywhere

User avatar
Excellence = a Habit
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: Question about softs

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:09 pm

After reading this thread I'm suddenly a lot more worried about admissions... I thought my softs were moderately strong but now they sound average/weak. Damn you overachievers... Do people think that having a parttime job throughout UG (15-25 hours/week) can in anyway compensate for, or at least explain, a lack of amazing softs?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Question about softs

Postby IAFG » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:11 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:After reading this thread I'm suddenly a lot more worried about admissions... I thought my softs were moderately strong but now they sound average/weak. Damn you overachievers... Do people think that having a parttime job throughout UG (15-25 hours/week) can in anyway compensate for, or at least explain, a lack of amazing softs?

the point is, it just won't give you an edge beyond your numbers. no, the fact you worked won't excuse bc you still won't seem as impressive as Mr. Impressive Softs.

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: Question about softs

Postby SilverE2 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:26 pm

Ivan91 wrote:OK, let me be a senator and then a president of the SG, score 176 on the LSAT, get a 3.95 GPA and see who gets in - the one who teaches English in Tiber or me :D


You just invented a country.

Ivan91
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:17 pm

Re: Question about softs

Postby Ivan91 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:46 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
Ivan91 wrote:OK, let me be a senator and then a president of the SG, score 176 on the LSAT, get a 3.95 GPA and see who gets in - the one who teaches English in Tiber or me :D


You just invented a country.


Yeah, right ?Who has such a soft ?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests