No Professors to write LOR :(

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gutterl

No Professors to write LOR :(

Postby gutterl » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:11 am

I went to a large UC, where almost all of my classes were composed of about 100-300 students...so I never really established any relationships with any of my professors. I would have tried harder to get to know some of my teachers in order to get LORs, but I was never really serious about going to law school until I graduated in June. So my question is...is it a good idea to ask for a LOR from a teacher that I have taken about 4 courses with? I have talked to her a few times outside of class...and we corresponded through email a lot for my last class during Spring. I was thinking I could explain to her my desperation for an LOR, and email her a transcript that shows I've gotten all A's in her class, and maybe she could base a letter off of that? Has anyone done anything like this? Or is it just an overall bad idea....?

I have worked for 2 years in a law firm and interned at an Assemblyman's office...both of which I could get LOR's from my boss/supervisor...but isn't it important to have an academic letter? Help pleeease thank you!

Knock

Re: No Professors to write LOR :(

Postby Knock » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:16 am

gutterl wrote:I went to a large UC, where almost all of my classes were composed of about 100-300 students...so I never really established any relationships with any of my professors. I would have tried harder to get to know some of my teachers in order to get LORs, but I was never really serious about going to law school until I graduated in June. So my question is...is it a good idea to ask for a LOR from a teacher that I have taken about 4 courses with? I have talked to her a few times outside of class...and we corresponded through email a lot for my last class during Spring. I was thinking I could explain to her my desperation for an LOR, and email her a transcript that shows I've gotten all A's in her class, and maybe she could base a letter off of that? Has anyone done anything like this? Or is it just an overall bad idea....?

I have worked for 2 years in a law firm and interned at an Assemblyman's office...both of which I could get LOR's from my boss/supervisor...but isn't it important to have an academic letter? Help pleeease thank you!

Yeah, you really need at least 1 academic letter if you just graduated in June. Talk to the teacher and ease into the topic of LOR's and Law School if you can and try and gauge how receptive she is to the idea of helping you out.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:21 am

Knockglock wrote:
gutterl wrote:I went to a large UC, where almost all of my classes were composed of about 100-300 students...so I never really established any relationships with any of my professors. I would have tried harder to get to know some of my teachers in order to get LORs, but I was never really serious about going to law school until I graduated in June. So my question is...is it a good idea to ask for a LOR from a teacher that I have taken about 4 courses with? I have talked to her a few times outside of class...and we corresponded through email a lot for my last class during Spring. I was thinking I could explain to her my desperation for an LOR, and email her a transcript that shows I've gotten all A's in her class, and maybe she could base a letter off of that? Has anyone done anything like this? Or is it just an overall bad idea....?

Yeah, you really need at least 1 academic letter if you just graduated in June. Talk to the teacher and ease into the topic of LOR's and Law School if you can and try and gauge how receptive she is to the idea of helping you out.

If that teacher is all you got, then go for it.
+1 So the point of LORs, esp. at places like Yale, is to gauge what kind of student you are in the class room. Do you participate and add to discussion? Do you make a favorable impression on professors? Are you intellectually curious enough to seek them out outside of class? etc. This is difficult in large lectures where you're more likely to detract rather than add to class discussion if you raise your hand to do more than ask a quick question and are unlikely to make an impression and honestly not everyone who is intellectually curious demonstrates it through office hours. But, it is what it is, and how it worked out, so you should get the best that you can, even if it is mediocre. Take heart, though, LORs are a small part of the application at most schools.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:28 am

You sound like me.

I'm just hoping that having straight A's in 4 of their classes will work out ok.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”