University of Washington – underrated?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Zeile

University of Washington – underrated?

Postby Zeile » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:13 pm

Is it just me, or does UDub go a bit under the radar? It is the only T1 school in the entire Pacific Northwest and is affordable. GWU is my number one choice and I’m probably not even going to apply to UDub because I’m an east coast guy, but as I search through schools, it seems to me that UDub might be a great non-T14+UT+Vandy+UCLA option for a lot of people. Thoughts?

tea_drinker

Re: University of Washington – underrated?

Postby tea_drinker » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:25 pm

Zeile wrote: It is the only T1 school in the entire Pacific Northwest and is affordable.

This is absolutely true, but if you really consider it, the Northwest market is not too prominent, and states like Idaho, ND, SD, etc. would recruit grads from in-state law school even though these schools are not T1.

With that being said, I think UW is an awesome school, and it is one of my top choices since I am a west coast person.

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:26 pm

Zeile wrote:Is it just me, or does UDub go a bit under the radar? It is the only T1 school in the entire Pacific Northwest and is affordable. GWU is my number one choice and I’m probably not even going to apply to UDub because I’m an east coast guy, but as I search through schools, it seems to me that UDub might be a great non-T14+UT+Vandy+UCLA option for a lot of people. Thoughts?

Its underrated in the sense that it doesnt get enough respect for what it does in its market. However, this school is by no means a "national" school that will get you a job everywhere. It seems limited to that pacific northwest region.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:27 pm

Seattle/PacNW doesn't have much of a legal market and CA schools compete for the jobs that do exist

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:27 pm

Zeile wrote:Is it just me, or does UDub go a bit under the radar? It is the only T1 school in the entire Pacific Northwest and is affordable. GWU is my number one choice and I’m probably not even going to apply to UDub because I’m an east coast guy, but as I search through schools, it seems to me that UDub might be a great non-T14+UT+Vandy+UCLA option for a lot of people. Thoughts?

I completely agree. I think this board definitely has its focus more on East Coast schools, and so sometimes the West Coast gets overlooked to some degree.

U. Washington has a great reputation, even down here in California, let alone in the Pacific Northwest.

Hajek

Postby Hajek » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:53 pm

regional, albeit good, school in a city with a VERY small market. Without stellar grades/credentials, the probability that you'll get a firm job in Seattle is low.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”