Nudge Along my Recommender?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kayljsh
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 3:11 pm

Nudge Along my Recommender?

Postby kayljsh » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:29 am

I asked the two professors who are writing me recommendations for them on the same day, way back in August at the start of school. (To be precise, August 27th) They both gave me about the same time estimate. One of them mailed hers two weeks later, and it got processed by the LSAC relatively quickly.

The other I'm having issues with. She told me she'd have it done by Sept 15th. I emailed her on that day because she'd asked me to, just as a reminder. She indicated that she wasn't quite done, but she'd finish and mail it soon. I emailed her this Tues (Sept 21) with something like, "just double checking, blah blah" and she hasn't emailed me back. What should I do? Wait around and hope she's mailed it and that the LSAC just hasn't processed yet? Email again? Go to her office?

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12422
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Nudge Along my Recommender?

Postby gdane » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:34 am

Go to her office. Emailing is very ineffective. You get better results when you do things in person.

Stop by as if though youre in a hurry. Stick your head in, greet her, be nice, etc etc and say "Im applying to my schools, but I noticed your letter isnt in yet. Did you mail it out?" If she responds affirmitively then thank her and be on your way out. If she says she hasnt sent it out say in a lighthearted,but not serious manner "Id really appreciate it if you could get it out right away. I need your recommendation in order to send out my applications. Please dont forget". That way you let her know that you need this done, but you dont do it in a dillholish way.

Good luck!

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Nudge Along my Recommender?

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:36 pm

kayljsh wrote:I asked the two professors who are writing me recommendations for them on the same day, way back in August at the start of school. (To be precise, August 27th) They both gave me about the same time estimate. One of them mailed hers two weeks later, and it got processed by the LSAC relatively quickly.

The other I'm having issues with. She told me she'd have it done by Sept 15th. I emailed her on that day because she'd asked me to, just as a reminder. She indicated that she wasn't quite done, but she'd finish and mail it soon. I emailed her this Tues (Sept 21) with something like, "just double checking, blah blah" and she hasn't emailed me back. What should I do? Wait around and hope she's mailed it and that the LSAC just hasn't processed yet? Email again? Go to her office?


Faxing >>>> Mailing. In your next e-mail, just indicate that you've recently learned that faxing is more effective, and provide the fax number.

User avatar
hncsarge34
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Nudge Along my Recommender?

Postby hncsarge34 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:34 pm

I'm getting really worried about a faxed LOR. It was allegedly sent in last Wednesday and still hasn't been processed by LSAC...

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Nudge Along my Recommender?

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:34 pm

hncsarge34 wrote:I'm getting really worried about a faxed LOR. It was allegedly sent in last Wednesday and still hasn't been processed by LSAC...


That needs to be re-done then. All of mine were posted same day.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7970
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Nudge Along my Recommender?

Postby Pleasye » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:39 pm

I'd say go to her office but not just yet. You just emailed her on Tuesday. That was two days ago.

I emailed one of my recommenders and mentioned that there was another way to get the letters in faster (fax) and it took him like 4 or 5 days to write back, but when he did he said my letter would be in by October 1st (the "deadline" I mentioned). Give her some time before you show up...give her till like Monday.

User avatar
hncsarge34
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Nudge Along my Recommender?

Postby hncsarge34 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:43 pm

I've called LSAC asking about it and they said that it takes 7-10 days to process a faxed letter. Don't know whether to believe that or not, but I guess I'll just ask the recommender to resend and hope for the best.

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Nudge Along my Recommender?

Postby oldhippie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:46 pm

hncsarge34 wrote:I've called LSAC asking about it and they said that it takes 7-10 days to process a faxed letter. Don't know whether to believe that or not, but I guess I'll just ask the recommender to resend and hope for the best.


mine was faxed on tuesday, i called yesterday and they told me the same thing (5-7 days actually) but it posted at 4AM - so you may want to consider re-sending if it has been a long time...i don't imagine it could hurt...

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7970
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Nudge Along my Recommender?

Postby Pleasye » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:55 pm

hncsarge34 wrote:I've called LSAC asking about it and they said that it takes 7-10 days to process a faxed letter. Don't know whether to believe that or not, but I guess I'll just ask the recommender to resend and hope for the best.


It could possibly take that long but there's no harm in resending it just in case.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: QuentonCassidy and 8 guests