Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:28 pm

kalvano wrote:
artichoke88 wrote:
kalvano wrote:For the most part, faculty at the T50 schools will all be pretty brilliant.


The same however, cannot be said of the students (IMHO).


What's your point? Most people in a T50 program are going to be fairly smart. Just because someone is going to Berkley doesn't make them intelligent, interesting to be around, or anyone you'd want to be around.


Edit: I can't read well.
Last edited by Mike12188 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:29 pm

artichoke88 wrote:
rad law wrote:
artichoke88 wrote:Well, while I am somewhat of a rankings snob,


Generally, this attitude is moronic.


I thought I should probably qualify that statement while I was typing it, and now I see my inclination was correct. The reason I would prefer to attend a top-ranked school is to be among top-ranked students and top-ranked faculty. This is what the rankings mean to me, and this is what makes me a ranking snob - I'm not sure I would classify that as moronic, but to each her/his own.


Top ranked faculty and students are all fine and good, but it's mainly about teh jorbz, which rankings don't correlate too well depending in where you want to end up.

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby artichoke » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:30 pm

kalvano wrote:
artichoke88 wrote:
kalvano wrote:For the most part, faculty at the T50 schools will all be pretty brilliant.


The same however, cannot be said of the students (IMHO).


What's your point? Most people in a T50 program are going to be fairly smart. Just because someone is going to Berkley doesn't make them intelligent, interesting to be around, or anyone you'd want to be around.


People described the students at my UG as being "fairly smart" and that really didn't do it for me.

User avatar
OrdinarilySkilled
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:22 am

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:34 pm

artichoke88 wrote:People described the students at my UG as being "fairly smart" and that really didn't do it for me.

This statement boggles my mind.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby kalvano » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:35 pm

It seems as if you're looking for a reason to justify being a rankings snob.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:37 pm

kalvano wrote:It seems as if you're looking for a reason to justify being a rankings snob.


As usual, Kal is probably right.

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:39 pm

kalvano wrote:It seems as if you're looking for a reason to justify being a rankings snob.


You wouldn't have gone to a T14 if you got in?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:42 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
kalvano wrote:It seems as if you're looking for a reason to justify being a rankings snob.


You wouldn't have gone to a T14 if you got in?


My T14 chances were GULC, Cornell, and Mich. Which I would have had to pay sticker for in all likelihood. Over where I am now? With money? No.

User avatar
Shaggier1
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 am

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby Shaggier1 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:42 pm

OP, to answer your original question

I got into Berkeley with a slightly higher GPA and had a similar upward trend (4.0 in final 5 semester). I only scored 167, though. So, from a purely numerical perspective, it is obviously a possibility.

I highly recommend addressing the upward trend in your PS. Mine was directly connected to my upward trend and I think it really helped.

Just blanket the T14 (and maybe throw an app at USC/UCLA/TX/Vandy for $$$). You should have a good cycle

kalvano wrote:
It seems as if you're looking for a reason to justify being a rankings snob.


This is TOP-law-schools.com. We are here because we are all rankings snobs. And the reasons are so many that most of us don't even bother looking for any particular justification.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby kalvano » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:44 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
kalvano wrote:It seems as if you're looking for a reason to justify being a rankings snob.


You wouldn't have gone to a T14 if you got in?



I absolutely would have, except for a few. But I would be straight up about it, instead of trying to couch it in terms of "faculty and students".

Those don't really vary much from school to school.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:45 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
It seems as if you're looking for a reason to justify being a rankings snob.


This is TOP-law-schools.com. We are here because we are all rankings snobs. And the reasons are so many that most of us don't even bother looking for any particular justification.


Doesn't mean I can't call pretentious douchebags when I see 'em.

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby SilverE2 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:46 pm

artichoke88 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
artichoke88 wrote:
kalvano wrote:For the most part, faculty at the T50 schools will all be pretty brilliant.


The same however, cannot be said of the students (IMHO).


What's your point? Most people in a T50 program are going to be fairly smart. Just because someone is going to Berkley doesn't make them intelligent, interesting to be around, or anyone you'd want to be around.


People described the students at my UG as being "fairly smart" and that really didn't do it for me.


I really feel for you, it must be extremely frustrating for someone as intelligent as yourself to be surrounded by people intellectually below you. Poor guy.

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:48 pm

rad law wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:
kalvano wrote:It seems as if you're looking for a reason to justify being a rankings snob.


You wouldn't have gone to a T14 if you got in?


My T14 chances were GULC, Cornell, and Mich. Which I would have had to pay sticker for in all likelihood. Over where I am now? With money? No.

:roll: I wasn't talking to you lol.

I would also take money in a market I wanted to practice in over those too.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby clintonius » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:48 pm

artichoke88 wrote:As far as Berkeley, my softs are definitely not going to help me there, though I did work pretty extensive hours while in UG.
That's unfortunate, given the unimpeachable fact that it's among the two most holistic schools in the t15.

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:50 pm

rad law wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
It seems as if you're looking for a reason to justify being a rankings snob.


This is TOP-law-schools.com. We are here because we are all rankings snobs. And the reasons are so many that most of us don't even bother looking for any particular justification.


Doesn't mean I can't call pretentious douchebags when I see 'em.


Maybe he got confused and thought it would make him a douchebag if he just said, "better job prospects"

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:50 pm

clintonius wrote:
artichoke88 wrote:As far as Berkeley, my softs are definitely not going to help me there, though I did work pretty extensive hours while in UG.
That's unfortunate, given the unimpeachable fact that it's among the two most holistic schools in the t15.

Clintonius brings teh lulz

User avatar
RussianGirl
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:06 pm

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby RussianGirl » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:50 pm

OP, I like you. I got into Boalt with 3.64/172 with a very similar STRONG upward trend (3.9/4.0/3.9 last 3 years of college). Also, don't be dumb and BLANKET. Find the money; steal if you have to. You need as many offers as you can get so you can negotiate schollies and such. Best of luck.

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:51 pm

rad law wrote:
clintonius wrote:
artichoke88 wrote:As far as Berkeley, my softs are definitely not going to help me there, though I did work pretty extensive hours while in UG.
That's unfortunate, given the unimpeachable fact that it's among the two most holistic schools in the t15.

Clintonius brings teh lulz


I chuckled :lol:

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:51 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
rad law wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
It seems as if you're looking for a reason to justify being a rankings snob.


This is TOP-law-schools.com. We are here because we are all rankings snobs. And the reasons are so many that most of us don't even bother looking for any particular justification.


Doesn't mean I can't call pretentious douchebags when I see 'em.


Maybe he got confused and thought it would make him a douchebag if he just said, "better job prospects"


But he didn't say that and also said some pretty moronic things so I stand by my statement.

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby artichoke » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:52 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
rad law wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
It seems as if you're looking for a reason to justify being a rankings snob.


This is TOP-law-schools.com. We are here because we are all rankings snobs. And the reasons are so many that most of us don't even bother looking for any particular justification.


Doesn't mean I can't call pretentious douchebags when I see 'em.


Maybe he got confused and thought it would make him a douchebag if he just said, "better job prospects"


*she

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby 2014 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:53 pm

If you have a paycheck coming just agree to pay your parents back. If they haven't disowned you, surely they would agree to give you like a one month loan...

Or just pick a couple of apps, namely at safety schools, to send in late if you have to after you get money.

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:54 pm

artichoke88 wrote:
*she


RadLaw I'm with you, SHE's a Dbag

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby clintonius » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:55 pm

2014 wrote:Or just pick a couple of apps, namely at safety schools, to send in late if you have to after you get money.
Credited response, though they don't need to be at safety schools so much as places that have large enough classes or admissions policies such that applying a little later won't hurt. That list does not include Berkeley (or Michigan).

User avatar
RussianGirl
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:06 pm

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby RussianGirl » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:56 pm

Mike12188 wrote:RadLaw I'm with you, SHE's a Dbag

ranking snobs FTW :wink:

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Chances at Boalt with low GPA but significant upward trend?

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:56 pm

artichoke88 wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:
Maybe he got confused and thought it would make him a douchebag if he just said, "better job prospects"


*she


a/s/l?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests