Help me calm down...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vsl89

Help me calm down...

Postby vsl89 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:22 pm

So I am currently pissed off at a professor of mine who is writing a LOR. He has not yet written my letter despite ample notice and he doesn't seem likely to do it for AT LEAST a week. My entire is complete and sent in; all of my other letters are in as well. This one guy is keeping my application hostage. W/ 169 &4.0, I'm taking a risk and applying early to CLS and I feel like an early app is gonna boost my chances. (The same holds true for my top choices for RD, NYU & UPenn.) So, is this guy screwing my chances as much as I think he is by not letting me go complete in September?

Also, what's considered really early? I've heard anytime before halloween, but that can't be accurate since ED deadline is only two weeks after that and I'm sure most people submit in advance. Does anyone know at what rate apps go in? (Prefer a data set that is not self-selected like LSN)

Finally, how long will it take me to go complete if this professor submits so that his letter reaches LSAC on Oct 10 in the mail? Will they need 3 days at that point to process due to increasing volume? Once they process, how long until my schools receive? Will each school need 2-3 days to declare me complete then?

EDIT: Thanks for reading through this semi-rant, semi-freaked out post..I'm just irritated at my professor for being so irresponsible given all the lead up time I've given him.

artichoke

Re: Help me calm down...

Postby artichoke » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:28 pm

My Columbia app was received (along w. CLS email) very quickly - a couple days after I submitted it on LSAC. However, I'm still waiting for it to go complete over a week later.

Having said that, I would say early is any time in September, but I think you will be OK submitting in early October.

Sorry about the LOR thing, that can be really frustrating, and good luck with your apps!

Postby 005618502 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:31 pm

one of my professor's overnighted it, it got there monday and was processed by tuesday (yes, less then one day processing time.) My earlier professors sent it and from time sent to time processed by LSAC was about 5-7 days. just FYI, with your numbers i think you will be okay early october. Are you going to apply ED to columbia?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:33 pm

Is there another professor that you can ask to write a letter of recommendation? Any chance that the current professor is hesistant to write less than a 100% positive recommendation ? Could this professor be stalling so that you might be prompted to ask another to write the recommendation ?

vsl89

Postby vsl89 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:35 pm

jt1341 wrote:one of my professor's overnighted it, it got there monday and was processed by tuesday (yes, less then one day processing time.) My earlier professors sent it and from time sent to time processed by LSAC was about 5-7 days. just FYI, with your numbers i think you will be okay early october. Are you going to apply ED to columbia?

Yessir, ED.

vsl89

Postby vsl89 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:36 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Is there another professor that you can ask to write a letter of recommendation? Any chance that the current professor is hesistant to write less than a 100% positive recommendation ? Could this professor be stalling so that you might be prompted to ask another to write the recommendation ?

No, I doubt this is the reason. He has asked me to take his graduate seminars even though I'm an undergrad. He and I are on very good terms. I think the reason for his delay is that he is a big guy in his field and so he has a lot of publications to write and conferences coming up, etc.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:38 pm

Chill. Realize it is your fault because you chose him on top of the fact that you did not have a backup.

If you are complete before Halloween that is plenty early as you are in before the wave of October test takers.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:40 pm

bk1 wrote:Chill. Realize it is your fault because you chose him on top of the fact that you did not have a backup.

If you are complete before Halloween that is plenty early as you are in before the wave of October test takers.

+1. I made sure I asked an extra prof just in case a different one fell through.

Your prof can fax btw. It's quicker than mail.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:41 pm

bk1 wrote:Chill. Realize it is your fault because you chose him on top of the fact that you did not have a backup.

Ahh. This October test taker will have his applications in on October 29th. The second that theres a reportable score, Im hitting submit application.

Thats assuming that the October scores will be on on the 29th and not on Nov 1st like LSAC says. They always come out the weekend before though.

vsl89

Postby vsl89 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:43 pm

CastleRock wrote:

+1. I made sure I asked an extra prof just in case a different one fell through.

He's a little too old for fax. As for an extra prof, this guy knows me incredibly well and I don't want to sacrifice the quality of my letter, even if it means going complete a little later.

Also, you hardly know the situation, so I don't think it's appropriate for you to comment on whose "fault" it is. Given that I first asked him back in May and the story is very complicated, I'd appreciate it if you could try to measure your words more carefully.
Last edited by vsl89 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:43 pm

gdane5 wrote:

Ahh. This October test taker will have his applications in on October 29th. The second that theres a reportable score, Im hitting submit application.

Thats assuming that the October scores will be on on the 29th and not on Nov 1st like LSAC says. They always come out the weekend before though.

True, I meant Halloween as "end of October" rather than specifically the 31st. But yes, being in before the October LSAT gets released is ideal.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:45 pm

vsl89 wrote:He's a little too old for fax. As for an extra prof, this guy knows me incredibly well and I don't want to sacrifice the quality of my letter, even if it means going complete a little later.

Also, you hardly know the situation, so I don't think it's appropriate for you to comment on whose "fault" it is. Given that I first asked him back in May and the story is very complicated, I'd appreciate it if you could try to measure your words more carefully.

I did "measure my words" carefully. This is for you, he gains nothing from it. Therefore it falls entirely within your realm of responsibility.

You've accepted going complete a littler later for a higher quality LOR. That's your choice, not something your prof forced upon you.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:45 pm

vsl89 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

He's a little too old for fax. As for an extra prof, this guy knows me incredibly well and I don't want to sacrifice the quality of my letter, even if it means going complete a little later.

Don't get your panties in a knot. You just said that you are willing to wait, so why are you bitching to us?

Edit: A little too old for fax? WTF? Is he dead?

Second Edit: Doesn't he have a secretary or a friend who was born in the last century who knows how to use a fax machine?
Last edited by WestOfTheRest on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:48 pm

vsl89 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

He's a little too old for fax.

Uh fax machines have been around for over 30 years. Is this guy 80?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”