Write an Addendum for Large Difference in LSAT Scores?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should I Write an LSAT Addendum?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 10

AVBucks4239

Write an Addendum for Large Difference in LSAT Scores?

Postby AVBucks4239 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:39 am

I took my first LSAT in September 2009 and got a 152. It was about six points below my average.

I then took the LSAT again in February of 2010. Thinking that it was the absolute last chance that I could take the LSAT, I did not sleep for one second the night before and got a combined 18 questions right on the last two sections and got a 146 (absolutely awful, I know).

I took the LSAT once again in June just to try and get scholarship money. I ended up getting a 158, despite the fact that the proctor screwed up and gave the five-minute warning at the ten-minute mark TWICE during the admission of the test (notorious Columbus location).

There were obvious variables that affected my performance on two of those dates. I have also heard that it is good to send an addendum simply to explain why you have such differences in LSAT scores. However, I do not want to sound like a person who makes excuses for everything and believe that the 158 and the rest of my application can speak for itself.

So, go ahead and vote...

trudat15

Re: Write an Addendum for Large Difference in LSAT Scores?

Postby trudat15 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:43 am

AVBucks4239 wrote:I took my first LSAT in September 2009 and got a 152. It was about six points below my average.

I then took the LSAT again in February of 2010. Thinking that it was the absolute last chance that I could take the LSAT, I did not sleep for one second the night before and got a combined 18 questions right on the last two sections and got a 146 (absolutely awful, I know).

I took the LSAT once again in June just to try and get scholarship money. I ended up getting a 158, despite the fact that the proctor screwed up and gave the five-minute warning at the ten-minute mark TWICE during the admission of the test (notorious Columbus location).

There were obvious variables that affected my performance on two of those dates. I have also heard that it is good to send an addendum simply to explain why you have such differences in LSAT scores. However, I do not want to sound like a person who makes excuses for everything and believe that the 158 and the rest of my application can speak for itself.

So, go ahead and vote...

There are schools that ask for addendums if the point increase is like over 6 points, but others that probably dont. Since your range is 146-158, I would say write one if you have compelling reasons for the lower scores. If you dont, then dont. You're right that the 158 will speak for itself (and most of the schools only take top score anyways, very few schools avg).

CanadianWolf

Re: Write an Addendum for Large Difference in LSAT Scores?

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:40 am

Judging from your original post, you have an excuse for everything. First test was below your PT averages, second test score was due to no sleep & the third test score was hampered by the poor performance of the protor's time keeping skills. If you scored a 179, whose fault would it be that you didn't get a 180. My point is that if you write an addendum it might sound too much like everyone else is to blame for your scores when the only real problem occurred during your third test which, ironically, resulted in your best score.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”