How to present soft factors

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
robotclubmember

Silver

How to present soft factors

Postby robotclubmember » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Last edited by robotclubmember on Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Re: How to present soft factors

Postby 2014 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:40 pm

Why don't you want to write your personal statement about it? That seems like a terrific topic.

If you could spin it into a reason you would add variety to the school you could put together a diversity statement, but it would be a stretch at best.

Honestly I would do the PS about it because you run the risk of them not appreciating an attached article or random addendum that adds to their workload.

merichard87

Silver

Postby merichard87 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:42 pm

Having a 3.6 is not addendum worthy, dont waste your time. I also think it would be tacky to attach an article to your application. Have you thought about making it into a Diversity Statment if you refuse to make it into a PS.

JJDancer

Gold

Postby JJDancer » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:44 pm

Don't write a GPA addendum. Some applications have a mini essay/question about extracurriculars/community involvement so you could write about the cross country thing there.

EDIT: don't attach an article or anything either.

robotclubmember

Silver

Postby robotclubmember » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:52 am

2014 wrote:Why don't you want to write your personal statement about it? That seems like a terrific topic.

If you could spin it into a reason you would add variety to the school you could put together a diversity statement, but it would be a stretch at best.

Honestly I would do the PS about it because you run the risk of them not appreciating an attached article or random addendum that adds to their workload.

I guess I feel cheap spinning it like that, because what I was doing wasn't about me. It's a long story. I feel that it's an experience worth drawing attention to but it's not the theme of my life I wanted to be selling, but I think doing a personal statement on it would be the best way to get the most mileage out of it, so I will go that route.

merichard87 wrote:Having a 3.6 is not addendum worthy, dont waste your time. I also think it would be tacky to attach an article to your application. Have you thought about making it into a Diversity Statment if you refuse to make it into a PS.

What if I want to go to Berkeley? Which ideally I do. I could get a 175+ on the LSAT and I don't think it'd be enough to surmount the skewedness towards high GPA's. Would it be wrong to attach an addendum for schools with a 3.8+ median GPA such as Berkeley? If it was NU for example, that's fine, I have work experience that they look upon favorably to obviate the need for a GPA addendum, but Berkeley is kind of unrelenting about the range of GPA's they'll typically accept...

hncsarge34

New

Postby hncsarge34 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:04 am

robotclubmember wrote:
2014 wrote:Why don't you want to write your personal statement about it? That seems like a terrific topic.

I guess I feel cheap spinning it like that, because what I was doing wasn't about me. It's a long story. I feel that it's an experience worth drawing attention to but it's not the theme of my life I wanted to be selling, but I think doing a personal statement on it would be the best way to get the most mileage out of it, so I will go that route.

merichard87 wrote:Having a 3.6 is not addendum worthy, dont waste your time. I also think it would be tacky to attach an article to your application. Have you thought about making it into a Diversity Statment if you refuse to make it into a PS.

What if I want to go to Berkeley? Which ideally I do. I could get a 175+ on the LSAT and I don't think it'd be enough to surmount the skewedness towards high GPA's. Would it be wrong to attach an addendum for schools with a 3.8+ median GPA such as Berkeley? If it was NU for example, that's fine, I have work experience that they look upon favorably to obviate the need for a GPA addendum, but Berkeley is kind of unrelenting about the range of GPA's they'll typically accept...

Sometimes you just have to accept the numbers and roll the dice. A 3.6 gpa and 170+ LSAT will open plenty of doors.

gwuorbust

Gold

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:26 am

no 3.6 GPA addendum.

focus on LSAT, softs don't matter. worry about putting together your app once you have an LSAT.

Dany

Diamond

Postby Dany » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:27 am

Is the 3.6 very even over your 3.5 years of undergrad? As in, typically the same amount of A's and B's per semester?

robotclubmember

Silver

Postby robotclubmember » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:17 am

Yeah, I can prob skip the GPA addendum. Thanks.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�