Minor Transcripts

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dirk Lang

Minor Transcripts

Postby Dirk Lang » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:33 pm

Is it ok to leave off transcripts from schools where you only took one course, maybe even in High School. As in, to not mention that you took that class. It's not even a grade issue, it's just a matter of not making my file unnecessarily weighted with transcripts of zero value.

maroonzoon

Re: Minor Transcripts

Postby maroonzoon » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:44 pm

Yes you have to get them. LSAC transcript reporting services wants all transcripts even from non-degree granting institutions...college/jc courses taken in high school count. It's possible nobody will ever find out, but it's also possible when you apply to the bar, they'll find out during the character and fitness investigation, which will potentially be a mess and jeopardize your career (at least, more than if you got the transcript in the first place).

mb87

Postby mb87 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:48 am

Yes. LSAC is showing my file as incomplete because I haven't yet gotten a transcript showing college courses taken in HS. I never transferred credit for those courses to my degree-granting university, so I have no idea how they even know the transcript is missing, but apparently they want it. So annoying.

As an aside, does anyone know if LSAC factors those classes into their GPA calculation?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:10 pm

LSAC requires transcripts of all college courses taken before your first bachelor's degree, and they will count those grades toward your LSAC GPA, regardless of whether you transfer this credit to your UG.

mb87

Postby mb87 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:57 pm

im_blue wrote:LSAC requires transcripts of all college courses taken before your first bachelor's degree, and they will count those grades toward your LSAC GPA, regardless of whether you transfer this credit to your UG.

Sweet. Thanks for the info! I suddenly find this practice more awesome than annoying.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:36 pm

Wait, does this include AP credits? I took a bunch of APs, but only transferred 4 advanced placement credits (for calculus) to my first school (and it's on their transcript).

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:38 pm

trudat15 wrote:Wait, does this include AP credits? I took a bunch of APs, but only transferred 4 advanced placement credits (for calculus) to my first school (and it's on their transcript).

AP credits typically show up on UG transcripts as P (for Pass) or T (for Test credit), so that doesn't count toward your GPA and you don't need to send in your high school transcripts. However, there are a few UGs that actually convert AP scores to letter grades.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:47 pm

trudat15 wrote:Wait, does this include AP credits? I took a bunch of APs, but only transferred 4 advanced placement credits (for calculus) to my first school (and it's on their transcript).

NM - called LSAC and it does not.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:48 pm

im_blue wrote:

AP credits typically show up on UG transcripts as P (for Pass) or T (for Test credit), so that doesn't count toward your GPA and you don't need to send in your high school transcripts. However, there are a few UGs that actually convert AP scores to letter grades.

Oh how I wish that my UG did. Could use that extra A

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”