Are you doing the "Evaluations?"

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Are you going to send evaluations?

Yes
14%
No
86%

Total votes: 90

GettingReady2010

Are you doing the "Evaluations?"

Postby GettingReady2010 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:20 pm

I was surfing through LSAC and just came across this "evaluations" part under the LOR section. I have never seen this before and after doing a little research on TLS, it seems to have been out for a month or so.

What is the general TLS consensus on these? Are you going to get evaluations.

DearCan

Re: Are you doing the "Evaluations?"

Postby DearCan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:52 pm

Some schools recommend them, and I'm sending them for those schools.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:47 pm

Yes, it seems like something that can potentially help my application.

pjo

Postby pjo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:03 pm

I wasn't going to do them, but Case's application basically made me submit at least one (I actually had to email them to let them know I wasn't sending in two). Really it takes your recommender like 10 minutes max to fill out, so its not much of a burden to ask whoever did your LOR's

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:19 pm

pjo wrote:I wasn't going to do them, but Case's application basically made me submit at least one (I actually had to email them to let them know I wasn't sending in two). Really it takes your recommender like 10 minutes max to fill out, so its not much of a burden to ask whoever did your LOR's

I considered this, but it seemed redundant to have the same person write me a LoR and do an evaluation. Thoughts?

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:57 pm

Unless a school is actually adamant about sending one in, I don't think that it will make any difference. To me, it seems like these evaluations will probably help your app about as much as a club membership would.

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:13 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:Unless a school is actually adamant about sending one in, I don't think that it will make any difference. To me, it seems like these evaluations will probably help your app about as much as a club membership would.

You're probably right. All three of my LoR's are academic as recommended, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a previous employer submit an evaluation. It's kind of a nice way to get that in there. If it helps so be it, if not...meh.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:20 pm

If your professor is willing to actually type/write in the blanks provided, it is sort of like an additional LOR. If the professor gives great ratings quantitatively while give you praises in the written part, I think it may actually be better than a plain old LOR.

Some schools don't allow them to be sent though ... really interesting.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:24 pm

Don't do it, you're only encouraging law schools to require more supplemental bullshit in the future.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:29 pm

naterj wrote:Don't do it, you're only encouraging law schools to require more supplemental bullshit in the future.

I don't really think you (as applicants) has much (if any) say in that at all.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:36 pm

I'm not doing it.

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:47 pm

DearCan wrote:Some schools recommend them, and I'm sending them for those schools.

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:07 pm

What are all of you doing for schools that say they accept/invite evaluations?

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:28 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:What are all of you doing for schools that say they accept/invite evaluations?

Some schools that accept them do not recommend them. I'm not sending evaluations to those schools, I figure they will probably just get annoyed. If a school actually recommends them, I don't see a reason not to send them.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:32 pm

DearCan wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:What are all of you doing for schools that say they accept/invite evaluations?

Some schools that accept them do not recommend them. I'm not sending evaluations to those schools, I figure they will probably just get annoyed. If a school actually recommends them, I don't see a reason not to send them.

I feel like the wording "do not recommend them" is not the same as "we are not recommending people to go get them". I read instructions to several schools, it reads as if they are neutral to them, not that they don't really want you to send them.

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:36 pm

r6_philly wrote:
DearCan wrote:

I feel like the wording "do not recommend them" is not the same as "we are not recommending people to go get them". I read instructions to several schools, it reads as if they are neutral to them, not that they don't really want you to send them.

That's probably true. I'm just going off of what I see on LSAC. If I see a school that's 0/0/4 and a school that's 0/2/4 I'm inclined to contemplate the difference.

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:15 pm

I am not doing the evaluations. PERIOD. I think it was pretty messed up of LSAC to spring these on us in late August. I think most of us, or at least a large portion of us had already gotten stuff collected or requested from our recommenders by the time the evaluations were even available.
I personally had my letters of recommendation back in April and early August - then I got an email from LSAC on August 30th saying that I could get these evaluations. I'm not going to re-pester my recommenders to do extra work for me. I think it will make me look like a dumb ass if I ask them to do more stuff for my applications now. Also, I have everything else pretty much done for my applications and have already submitted quite a few of them (pesky Why X essays are holding up the rest). By not doing the evaluations, I'm giving myself one less variable / thing out of my control to wait for.

Waiting for LORs is annoying enough (I had a really bad experience with this when I applied to grad school, hence me asking way back in April for my law school letters).

I say, if you've got everything else ready to go, send it in without the evaluations.

Rant done. :mrgreen: My 2 cents.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:10 am

Nope, definitely not. I asked my recommenders back in May, in order to give them lots of notice. I'm not going to drop something on them last minute, especially since most schools seem not to care or want them.

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:29 am

Knockglock wrote:Nope, definitely not. I asked my recommenders back in May, in order to give them lots of notice. I'm not going to drop something on them last minute, especially since most schools seem not to care or want them.

I think LSAC really dropped the ball on this one. It would be different if they started this program several months ago, but to throw this on us at the last minute (mid August?) is ridiculous. It's actually pretty frustrating. What kind of incompetent people do they have working there?
Last edited by GettingReady2010 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:31 am

DearCan wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
DearCan wrote:

That's probably true. I'm just going off of what I see on LSAC. If I see a school that's 0/0/4 and a school that's 0/2/4 I'm inclined to contemplate the difference.

But some schools say that they don't require them but will factor them into their decision. Incidentally, I'm not doing them either way.

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:11 pm

So nobody is considering having an evaluation done by an employer? Since most schools want academic LoRs I figured it wouldn't hurt to get employer feedback into my applications through an Evaluation. I have three academic LoRs but I'm considering only sending in two, plus my employer evaluation, and then sending in the last LoR if I'm waitlisted. Thoughts?

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:10 pm

DearCan wrote:Some schools recommend them, and I'm sending them for those schools.

What schools are these?

sewwah

Postby sewwah » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:20 pm

I had both of my recommenders complete evaluations. It was easier for me to get them to complete the evaluations than it was to get them to send in the LOR.

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:49 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:

What schools are these?

Just going off of my school list, Cornell and DePaul.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:00 pm

DearCan wrote:So nobody is considering having an evaluation done by an employer? Since most schools want academic LoRs I figured it wouldn't hurt to get employer feedback into my applications through an Evaluation. I have three academic LoRs but I'm considering only sending in two, plus my employer evaluation, and then sending in the last LoR if I'm waitlisted. Thoughts?

I have two academic reqs and 1 employer rec...and I also am having an employer do an Eval and one academic eval.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”