Supplemental Addenda to every school??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
acw061000

Supplemental Addenda to every school??

Postby acw061000 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:10 am

Just wondering what you guys thought. I have a LSAT addendum and a diversity addendum. For the schools that mention both, there's no question. For schools that DON'T mention anything about them, I'm wondering if I should send them anyways or not give them anything they don't mention. I'm primarily looking at top 20 if it helps..

The followup to that was someone told me they were doing a "Why XYZ?" for every school they applied to. Would you all advise including that for schools that don't mention one on their application?

Thankee kindly!

Re: Supplemental Addenda to every school??

Postby 2014 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:39 am

I see no harm in emailing the admissions department and asking if they accept or encourage unsolicited addenda.

acw061000

Postby acw061000 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:47 am

Thanks for the input, for some reason I hadn't thought of that.

For anyone who may be asking the same thing, my pre-law advisor said doing the "WHY X?" was stupid if it wasn't solicited, unless you're just dying to go to a particular place for a particular program and you can convey that you're oozing sincerity out of your eyeballs.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:05 pm

acw061000 wrote:Thanks for the input, for some reason I hadn't thought of that.

For anyone who may be asking the same thing, my pre-law advisor said doing the "WHY X?" was stupid if it wasn't solicited, unless you're just dying to go to a particular place for a particular program and you can convey that you're oozing sincerity out of your eyeballs.

Depends on the school. But a top top school specifically mentioned no that why x is wasted space at their information session. And I think they hate unsolicited addenda too. Some others want to make sure you would attend and not just casting wide nets. If you are dying to go to a particular program, you can always ED. So I think if they don't ask, don't offer. ED if you must.

Postby 2014 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:23 pm

Why X's are probably not worthwhile at schools where you are a reach to get in regardless. They know that the odds are in their favor for you accepting their offer because they are probably the best school you will get into. Therefore they have no need to read a page about why they are your #1 because they know they are up on your list.

If however, your numbers overqualify you for a school, that is where a Why X essay is crucial. While in many cases if you are yield protect waitlisted you can get off it pretty quickly with a Why X, if you want to avoid that hassle and get into the school the first time around, the essay is a good way to show your interest.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”