Double Major from NYU

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
2things2

Double Major from NYU

Postby 2things2 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:46 am

I am currently a senior at NYU -- double majoring in Economics and Communications, which was not an easy undertaking to say the least. The difficulties are reflected in my GPA: 3.25. I'm taking the LSAT in December (I was going to do October, but I want to boost my LSAT as much as possible), and so far I've improved from a 150 to a 160 in less than a month, so hopefully I can get into the upper 160's come December. My extracurriculars aren't amazing, though I've studied abroad two semesters (West Africa and China), have had some interesting internships, and I have a couple of great letters of recommendation on the way.

Realistically, where am I looking to apply? And how many schools should I apply to? Thanks so much guys.

whymeohgodno

Re: Double Major from NYU

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:50 am

2things2 wrote:I am currently a senior at NYU -- double majoring in Economics and Communications, which was not an easy undertaking to say the least. The difficulties are reflected in my GPA: 3.25. I'm taking the LSAT in December (I was going to do October, but I want to boost my LSAT as much as possible), and so far I've improved from a 150 to a 160 in less than a month, so hopefully I can get into the upper 160's come December. My extracurriculars aren't amazing, though I've studied abroad two semesters (West Africa and China), have had some interesting internships, and I have a couple of great letters of recommendation on the way.

Realistically, where am I looking to apply? And how many schools should I apply to? Thanks so much guys.

Double major does not matter. You do not have any majors that would be considered difficult by adcomms anyways (like physics, engineering, biochem..etc).

Internships are a soft. They will keep you mired in the average soft category.

Great letters of recommendations are a boost.

As for where to apply, no way to know until you get an actual LSAT score.

2things2

Postby 2things2 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:03 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
2things2 wrote:I am currently a senior at NYU -- double majoring in Economics and Communications, which was not an easy undertaking to say the least. The difficulties are reflected in my GPA: 3.25. I'm taking the LSAT in December (I was going to do October, but I want to boost my LSAT as much as possible), and so far I've improved from a 150 to a 160 in less than a month, so hopefully I can get into the upper 160's come December. My extracurriculars aren't amazing, though I've studied abroad two semesters (West Africa and China), have had some interesting internships, and I have a couple of great letters of recommendation on the way.

Double major does not matter. You do not have any majors that would be considered difficult by adcomms anyways (like physics, engineering, biochem..etc).

Internships are a soft. They will keep you mired in the average soft category.

Great letters of recommendations are a boost.

As for where to apply, no way to know until you get an actual LSAT score.

I'm betting I'll be somewhere in the upper 160's come December. I'm simply concerned because I've been told both to apply to 14+ schools, half being T30/T40, and hoping for the best, and I've also been told I have no chance at a decent school. Does the fact that I'm coming from NYU help at all? If I manage a 168, what schools am I looking at?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:05 am

The message to take away here is: Get a real score, then come back. Otherwise, we're just engaging in pure speculation. If you do well on the LSAT, you'll have opportunities in the T14 so long as your GPA doesn't drop much further.

Edit: Well=170+

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:08 am

sundance95 wrote:The message to take away here is: Get a real score, then come back. Otherwise, we're just engaging in pure speculation. If you do well on the LSAT, you'll have opportunities in the T14 so long as your GPA doesn't drop much further.

Yup there are stories of people PTing in the 170s with 150s scores on the real thing. While you very well may be in the high 160s come real test day in Dec, there's just no way to really speculate on anything until you take an actual LSAT and get a real score.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:14 am

trudat15 wrote:
sundance95 wrote:The message to take away here is: Get a real score, then come back. Otherwise, we're just engaging in pure speculation. If you do well on the LSAT, you'll have opportunities in the T14 so long as your GPA doesn't drop much further.

Yup there are stories of people PTing in the 170s with 150s scores on the real thing. While you very well may be in the high 160s come real test day in Dec, there's just no way to really speculate on anything until you take an actual LSAT and get a real score.

Agree. And in this case it's even more specious because you have never even actually scored high 160's on the LSAT.

The LSAT isn't like any other test you have taken before. You don't progress gradually. Just because you improved 10 points in the first month doesn't mean another month will gain you 5 points.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:48 am

whymeohgodno wrote:Double major does not matter. You do not have any majors that would be considered difficult by adcomms anyways (like physics, engineering, biochem..etc).

Also this. Get your GPA up - get straight A's this semester and next.
If you can indeed get your LSAT to the high 160s or even low 170s and you get get your GPA up a bit, you'll have a shot at some t14s and should have a reasonable shot at t20s.

But again, to echo everyone else, get a real lsat and ask again.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:02 am

Your double major, NYU UG, and softs will not give you any boost. If you get a 168, you should get into splitter-friendly schools like WUSTL, Illinois, and Minnesota. Hit 170 and you have a shot at T14's.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:49 am

Unless you can bring it up a good amount this year, you're GPA will put you below the median at every T30 school; therefore, you'll only have a shot at schools where your LSAT is at or above the median. Some schools are more friendly to those with a high-LSAT/low-GPA combo than others, but if you want to get a good proxy of what schools you should be looking at for each potential LSAT you could score, check the medians (this thread has started to collect that data from this past cycle).

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:08 am

That's funny.. I went to NYU U-grad and even took a class or two in each of those departments. Econ was a legit major, but communications was generally where most of the kids that took the short bus to union square wound up.

In sum, your 3.25 (double major), from NYU is worh less than a 3.29 from the New School University down the block or your friend's 3.28 from SUNY Albany. Sorry man.. I know NYU does a great job selling people on the idea that the degree has some added value; but it really doesn't. On a positive note, the diploma itself looks very nice if you have it professionally framed and I do find that it looks nice next to the law degree on the wall in my office. But beyond that, it means very little.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”