Listing jobs on application but not on resume?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RTFM

Listing jobs on application but not on resume?

Postby RTFM » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Hey all, I couldn't quite find the answer to this question in a forum search.

I cut the least important stuff out from my resume in order to keep it down to 1 page (I'm out of undergrad). For instance, I worked for my college's office of admissions while I was in undergrad, but I left it off my resume. There is enough room, however, on the actual applications to list jobs like this since they have about four lines for every type of work experience. If I don't list it (or a couple of the other menial jobs I left off the resume), it looks like I didn't work at all during the school year (which I know probably won't make any kind of difference but, hey, who knows). If I do list it and my other, would it look weird that I left them off my resume?

Re: Listing jobs on application but not on resume?

Postby 2014 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:01 pm

Most law schools have said it is okay to go over 1 page on the resume if it is to add meaningful items. If you have enough stuff to fill up at least a 3rd of a page on the 2nd page I would just lengthen the resume.

If not, pretty sure it is no big deal to list jobs on the app that aren't on a resume. They understand that there are space constraints.

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:19 am

Nothing wrong with this. A resume is supposed to be 1 page and/or contain all meaningful, relevant experience. Most working professionals can get this on one page including two levels of schooling, so if space is a problem, make sure it's because you actually did that many things that someone would care about.

Application employment history, on the other hand, is meant to be exhaustive.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:24 am

I have a 2-page resume, and it is not possible to cut it down to one. Everywhere I have read, 2 pages is ok. As a matter of fact, the sample resumes from Harvard and Penn have 2 pages. If you have enough experiences and you are not padding, put it on 2 pages.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:28 am

I used a 2 page resume in my application and it created no problems. As stated above, make sure it is meaningful experience that is being listed.

haydee

Postby haydee » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:01 am

RTFM wrote:Hey all, I couldn't quite find the answer to this question in a forum search.

I cut the least important stuff out from my resume in order to keep it down to 1 page (I'm out of undergrad). For instance, I worked for my college's office of admissions while I was in undergrad, but I left it off my resume. There is enough room, however, on the actual applications to list jobs like this since they have about four lines for every type of work experience. If I don't list it (or a couple of the other menial jobs I left off the resume), it looks like I didn't work at all during the school year (which I know probably won't make any kind of difference but, hey, who knows). If I do list it and my other, would it look weird that I left them off my resume?

You're probably looking at the common information form, which as I understand it does NOT get sent to any schools. Unless you list a job on the Primary Application form or an attachment, they won't know about it. When it comes to schools interpreting your GPA, working during the school year is a minor, minor soft, but I would try to include it somewhere anyway.

I've got two resumes that I'm using. A nice one-pager that I send most of the time, and then an extended two-pager for schools that specifically ask for ALL part-time or full-time WE.

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:15 am

haydee wrote:
RTFM wrote:Hey all, I couldn't quite find the answer to this question in a forum search.

You're probably looking at the common information form, which as I understand it does NOT get sent to any schools. Unless you list a job on the Primary Application form or an attachment, they won't know about it. When it comes to schools interpreting your GPA, working during the school year is a minor, minor soft, but I would try to include it somewhere anyway.

I've got two resumes that I'm using. A nice one-pager that I send most of the time, and then an extended two-pager for schools that specifically ask for ALL part-time or full-time WE.

Oh really? :-/ I didn't realize nothing was seen from the Common Information form..

I had the same concern/question as the OP, since I tried to keep my resume to one page, yet had relatively unimportant job experience that wasn't included in that space (I figured admissions would just see it on my Common form). I had a lot of PT jobs that aren't necessarily important, but show that I did a lot. That's frustrating..

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:25 am

Some of my applications specifically note that a resume doesn't take place of the information on the form. They want all the information complete in both places.

RTFM

Postby RTFM » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:57 pm

haydee wrote:I've got two resumes that I'm using. A nice one-pager that I send most of the time, and then an extended two-pager for schools that specifically ask for ALL part-time or full-time WE.

Good idea.

haydee wrote:I had a lot of PT jobs that aren't necessarily important, but show that I did a lot. That's frustrating..

I feel you. But I'm going to go with this advice:

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:A resume is supposed to be 1 page and/or contain all meaningful, relevant experience.

ScaredWorkedBored wrote: Application employment history, on the other hand, is meant to be exhaustive.

That makes a lot of sense to me, and I don't think my jobs are worth making my resume 2 pages for.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:42 pm

I'm sorry to hijack the thread but I have a question for ya'll:

I have 3 engineering internships + a 3 year job I worked as a CA aka Resident Assistant, however, my job description was more a building manager and I was the only person responsible for my building of 70+ college students. I have left it on my resume thus far because it taught me a huge amount of skills but now I'm running out of space. I'm still in undergrad but once I start my full-time job (taking a year or so off between UG and LS - it will be an Engineering related job so no BS time killer) should I take the CA job off to save space or just allow my resume to move to 2 pages?

CrushCrawfish

Postby CrushCrawfish » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:10 pm

@merichard87: I would definitely leave the RA position on your resume. If your formal title is something weird like "Building Manager," use a bullet point to describe your position. I was an RA in college and a hard science major, so I left my RA position on my resume b/c it added a different dimension to my resume. Most of my resume was physics, physics, physics, but the RA position showed that I also had a high-level of responsibility, ability to work in groups, etc., etc., that doesn't show from lab work.

The resume might look weird if it's one page and then two lines on a second page though. My resume is a healthy two pages, so I didn't feel that I needed to cut my RA position out.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”