Should I write a diversity statement?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RTFM

Should I write a diversity statement?

Postby RTFM » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:36 pm

I am not a URM, and I in no way mark that I am a URM on anything.

I was, however, adopted into a bi-racial family. My grandparents on my mother's side were the only ones in their whole extended families to survive Auschwitz, and my grandfather on my father's side was a Fundamentalist Baptist minister. My brother is half-African American, half-white. My family situation has shaped who I am on a variety of levels, and it shows my diverse background in a way that is not anywhere else on my application. I have another topic for my personal statement, however, and I don't really have any way to work this in to it. Is my family situation an appropriate topic for a DS, even if I'm not a URM?

QuailMan

Re: Should I write a diversity statement?

Postby QuailMan » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:38 pm

yes

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:39 pm

I think you could do the adopted thing as a DS probably, but the other details don't seem especially diverse. Pretty sure half the applicants to law schools had a lot of their family killed during WW2 (cause we're all jews).

RTFM

Postby RTFM » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:09 pm

Hannibal wrote:Pretty sure half the applicants to law schools had a lot of their family killed during WW2 (cause we're all jews).

Ha. I see your point. Thanks for the input!

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:19 pm

Statements are always good things to write about when applying to law school. Obviously i really have no way of substantiating this, however, it can make a law school really take a good look at your application.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”