Traffic Tickets

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ns77770
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Traffic Tickets

Postby ns77770 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:27 pm

I'm in the process of applying and on some of the apps it says to disclose all documentation for any charges. For traffic tickets what would this be? Should I even attach/ fax anything other than a statement saying "I paid a fine and there are no pending charges."?

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Traffic Tickets

Postby gdane » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:15 pm

Disclose everything they ask for. Dont worry.

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: Traffic Tickets

Postby Teoeo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:41 pm

Uh oh, you have traffic tickets? You better write an addendum if you want to get in to law school.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Traffic Tickets

Postby kalvano » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:12 am

Most of the schools that want documentation do not want it for misdemeanor traffic tickets. At least, none of the schools I spoke with did. Call and ask, but they usually mean documentation about serious stuff.

dudders
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: Traffic Tickets

Postby dudders » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:44 am

For minor traffic offenses, if you have to disclose them (what and how many each school wants disclosed varies), a brief list should be enough for the admissions office. Just what the tickets were for, when and where you got them (roughly, I mean like month and/or year, and state), and tack on a sentence about how you paid all of them and having no pending offenses.

Unless you've got something terrible (7 unpaid red light tickets, 5 30-over speeding tickets in the same month), no one actually cares and the schools don't need/want/expect that you even have documentation.

2011Law
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Traffic Tickets

Postby 2011Law » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:08 am

ns77770 wrote:I'm in the process of applying and on some of the apps it says to disclose all documentation for any charges. For traffic tickets what would this be? Should I even attach/ fax anything other than a statement saying "I paid a fine and there are no pending charges."?


How can you live with yourself knowing that you committed a civil infraction and only paid a fine? YOU MONSTER!

I refer to dudders...

dudders wrote:Unless you've got something terrible (7 unpaid red light tickets, 5 30-over speeding tickets in the same month), no one actually cares and the schools don't need/want/expect that you even have documentation.

ns77770
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: Traffic Tickets

Postby ns77770 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:21 am

2011Law wrote:
ns77770 wrote:I'm in the process of applying and on some of the apps it says to disclose all documentation for any charges. For traffic tickets what would this be? Should I even attach/ fax anything other than a statement saying "I paid a fine and there are no pending charges."?


How can you live with yourself knowing that you committed a civil infraction and only paid a fine? YOU MONSTER!

I refer to dudders...

dudders wrote:Unless you've got something terrible (7 unpaid red light tickets, 5 30-over speeding tickets in the same month), no one actually cares and the schools don't need/want/expect that you even have documentation.


Haha well first thank you for the many lols in this thread... And thanks I didn't think they would expect me to have anything documentation but I wasn't sure.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Traffic Tickets

Postby kalvano » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:36 pm

dudders wrote:Unless you've got something terrible (7 unpaid red light tickets, 5 30-over speeding tickets in the same month), no one actually cares and the schools don't need/want/expect that you even have documentation.


They don't even care about that.

ns77770
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: Traffic Tickets

Postby ns77770 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:11 pm

So then why do most schools ask for traffic tickets that are more than $200?

User avatar
Shaggier1
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 am

Re: Traffic Tickets

Postby Shaggier1 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:16 pm

I think the only instance in which traffic violations are an in issue is when they occur in jurisdictions such as Virginia, where penalties are particularly harsh. For example, if you are caught driving at any speed over 80mph, it is considered reckless driving, which is a misdemeanor.

This happened to me after I was accepted at Berkeley. I emailed to Dean Tom and he said everything would be fine, but requested that I submit a letter explaining the incident for my file.

HTH.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Traffic Tickets

Postby kalvano » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:45 pm

ns77770 wrote:So then why do most schools ask for traffic tickets that are more than $200?


C&F later on. The schools don't care.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LobLaw_LawFirm, perfunctory, Rogah and 4 guests