Pre-Law Club President Any Help

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jeremydc

Pre-Law Club President Any Help

Postby jeremydc » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:23 pm

I was just wondering if this is going to help any on the app process. Probably gonna end with a 3.0 LSDA (3.6 upward trend last 2 years).

WestOfTheRest

Re: Pre-Law Club President Any Help

Postby WestOfTheRest » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:24 pm

Nope, won't help one bit. Are you a URM? That could help.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:25 pm

No.

Only thing outside of GPA/LSAT that can tremendously help you is if you are a URM.

Or if you have extraordinary softs like Rhodes Scholar etc....no clubs/president of clubs/founder/internship...

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:28 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:No.

Only thing outside of GPA/LSAT that can tremendously help you is if you are a URM.

Or if you have extraordinary softs like Rhodes Scholar etc....no clubs/president of clubs/founder/internship...

Or if you cured cancer while simultaneously winning an Olympic gold medal in table tennis (silver might get you into Columbia, but hys... forget it).

solotee

Postby solotee » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:31 pm

I was considering the same thing while in undergrad. After reading these forums, I decided not to run against my friend that was pre-law president at the time.

Turns out it was a huge time-sink for him, and had a drastic effect on both gpa and LSAT. He is not in law school. While it can be fun, it's not really going to help you with law school apps.

jeremydc

Postby jeremydc » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:40 pm

Thanks for the help guys. If it takes a toll then I will quit. The thing is, I think if it came down to two similar apps and one is a president of a club and the other is not, they might take the president right?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:43 pm

jeremydc wrote:Thanks for the help guys. If it takes a toll then I will quit. The thing is, I think if it came down to two similar apps and one is a president of a club and the other is not, they might take the president right?

Actually, no, they would probably not take the president. Good law schools tend to look down upon "pre-law" things. Even if it would help among 2 similar applications... they would take the guy with +1 on his LSAT over the both of you.

jeremydc

Postby jeremydc » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:49 pm

Well wth right. Thanks guys.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”