Which UG would you recommend: UC__ or CSU__, for law school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Norwood

Bronze

Re: Which UG would you recommend: UC__ or CSU__, for law school?

Post by Norwood » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:21 pm

i came from a csu and i don't think it really hurt me in anyway. I got into the schools that I fit in with my gpa and lsat, i even got into 2 reaches. Only thing that is weird is having to answer "what undergrad did you go to?" when like 80% of the school is from Cal, UCLA, & other UCs. I always get a pause and a "oh... that's nice" haha. Oh well we're all at the same school now is the way i see it!

You still have to work hard at a CSU. Academically it is a whole lot easier, however you need to go out and find other opportunities to separate yourself from the crowd. Internships, work experience, volunteer projects, etc. are much easier to come by when your at a UC.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:28 pm

Norwood wrote:You still have to work hard at a CSU. Academically it is a whole lot easier, however you need to go out and find other opportunities to separate yourself from the crowd. Internships, work experience, volunteer projects, etc. are much easier to come by when your at a UC. get a good LSAT score

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:You would do yourself a serious diservice choosing a CSU over a UC, unless you are a hard science major at Cal Poly. I have a lot of friends that go to CSUs, and I went to a UC, and the education may be easier, but you are short changing yourself in quality of education.

The UCs are elite schools, and all rank in the top 100 universities, with the exception of Merced. Most professors are top oftheir field, and the writing requirements will better prepare you for law school.

But this is what you should consider:

The UC has the regents, so you have some type of secured funding, but the entire public school system in California is getting cut. So, keep private in mind, and do not short change yourself.

But dont listen to me. Tour the campuses and go off the vibes.

PS. I have been out for almost a year. The budget cuts had not fully taken affect when I graduated. So, if you get money at a good private college it may be a better choice.
Nefarious UC fanboyism
Did you even go to school in Cali?

Rankings:
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandrevie ... t-colleges

I have experience with both CSU and UC, and I did enjoy attending a U.C, but when you criticize someones post atleast read it.
Tour the campuses and go off the vibes.

Maybe this part:

PS. I have been out for almost a year. The budget cuts had not fully taken affect when I graduated. So, if you get money at a good private college it may be a better choice.

Make your own descions dont let the idiots(me included) on this site decide.
Last edited by jarofsoup on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:You would do yourself a serious diservice choosing a CSU over a UC, unless you are a hard science major at Cal Poly. I have a lot of friends that go to CSUs, and I went to a UC, and the education may be easier, but you are short changing yourself in quality of education.

The UCs are elite schools, and all rank in the top 100 universities, with the exception of Merced. Most professors are top oftheir field, and the writing requirements will better prepare you for law school.

But this is what you should consider:

The UC has the regents, so you have some type of secured funding, but the entire public school system in California is getting cut. So, keep private in mind, and do not short change yourself.

But dont listen to me. Tour the campuses and go off the vibes.

Nefarious UC fanboyism
+1

ComatoseClown

Bronze

Post by ComatoseClown » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:09 am

Thanks guys for all the responses and encouragement to avoid any elitist sentiment that may be widespread on this online forum. To satisfy any Elitist taken aback by my reported LSAT diagnostic, you might now find comfort in knowing that I cheated -- I took it untimed. But nevertheless I think I did well because I've been into philosophy for many years, and naturally test well on standardized exams.

Anyway, back to the main topic -- I've read all your guys' posts and would honestly choose UC if I had the choice, but that would require waiting until next Fall 2011 (September 23) to begin the junior year. I'm already exceedingly behind -- I wanted to finish undergrad within 4 years. With CSU, I may have the chance to start as early as January. It's relieving to know that some Law students on here came from CSUs. With this, can you guys explain more about how it will be "harder" in terms of engagement opportunities/acquiring "softs"?

I thought it was all about GPA and LSAT for most law schools including the Top 25? Then why would any opportunities like internships even matter, in this case?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:44 am

If UCB, UCLA and UCSD are off the table, none of the rest are good enough that it will move the needle one way or another when you're applying to law school. Go to whichever UC or CSU is cheapest/looks like the place you'll have the best time.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:26 am

ComatoseClown wrote:To satisfy any Elitist taken aback by my reported LSAT diagnostic, you might now find comfort in knowing that I cheated -- I took it untimed.
:lol: yup i'll sleep like a baby tonight, thx for the update

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:08 am

ComatoseClown wrote:With this, can you guys explain more about how it will be "harder" in terms of engagement opportunities/acquiring "softs"?

I thought it was all about GPA and LSAT for most law schools including the Top 25? Then why would any opportunities like internships even matter, in this case?
I doubt all that schools care about are the "numbers". I'm not saying the numbers don't matter, I admit, they are attractive since they are weighted heavily by usnews rankings and are the only quantitative indicators they have of prospective students. However, you have to keep in mind, especially in the t25, that everyone is going to have these attractive numbers. Remember, in case you forgot, getting into law school is competitive. Sure the 3.6gpa is going to get you looked at but you will be surely placed behind of the other 3.5 and 3.6 students from top schools across the nation. All these students will have a whole lot to present about themselves (via personal statement and resume) since they have been afforded the opportunities such as internships, work experience, leadership, etc. Who would you choose between a 3.6/168 student flipping burgers from SDSU or 3.5/168 student doing extensive research with a respected professor at Cal?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:13 am

Norwood wrote:
ComatoseClown wrote:With this, can you guys explain more about how it will be "harder" in terms of engagement opportunities/acquiring "softs"?

I doubt all that schools care about are the "numbers". I'm not saying the numbers don't matter, I admit, they are attractive since they are weighted heavily by usnews rankings and are the only quantitative indicators they have of prospective students. However, you have to keep in mind, especially in the t25, that everyone is going to have these attractive numbers. Remember, in case you forgot, getting into law school is competitive. Sure the 3.6gpa is going to get you looked at but you will be surely placed behind of the other 3.5 and 3.6 students from top schools across the nation. All these students will have a whole lot to present about themselves (via personal statement and resume) since they have been afforded the opportunities such as internships, work experience, leadership, etc. Who would you choose between a 3.6/168 student flipping burgers from SDSU or 3.5/168 student doing extensive research with a respected professor at Cal?
3.6/168. or even more likely, the 3.1/172 with no softs to speak of.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:53 am

To satisfy any Elitist taken aback by my reported LSAT diagnostic, you might now find comfort in knowing that I cheated -- I took it untimed. But nevertheless I think I did well because I've been into philosophy for many years, and naturally test well on standardized exams.
LOL. Untimed "diagnostics" are meaningless.

Enjoy your 153.

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:06 am

rayiner wrote:
To satisfy any Elitist taken aback by my reported LSAT diagnostic, you might now find comfort in knowing that I cheated -- I took it untimed. But nevertheless I think I did well because I've been into philosophy for many years, and naturally test well on standardized exams.

Enjoy your 153.
:lol:

P.S. Before you scurry off to start in January at CSUwhatever, take a gander at the course schedule and decide whether you can even graduate in two years. Due to budget cuts, course offerings are scant at best, and the three teachers that they can still afford in your department will likely skip class to coach their son/daughter's shitty high-school sports team.

Edit:
IAFG wrote:3.6/168. or even more likely, the 3.1/172 with no softs to speak of.
+1. You'd be correct, however, if you compared the two schools using candidates with identical numbers.

Edit 2: FML I forgot how to quote *roll*
Last edited by shanemahsa on Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:09 am

ComatoseClown wrote:I'm an undergrad transfer student whose UCSD admission was unfortunately revoked last week at the last minute. I'm now re-applying for junior standing for Fall 2011.

My questions: If it were you, would you choose a CSU over a UC school, given the longstanding notion that the prestige of your undergraduate institution is not a very important factor as your undergraduate LSAT & GPA?
Who told you that? The prestige of the institution matters quite a bit. Go to a UC school if you can get into one, because your GPA will be perceived as inflated (if only just a bit) if you go the CSU route.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:17 am

PDaddy wrote:
ComatoseClown wrote:I'm an undergrad transfer student whose UCSD admission was unfortunately revoked last week at the last minute. I'm now re-applying for junior standing for Fall 2011.

My questions: If it were you, would you choose a CSU over a UC school, given the longstanding notion that the prestige of your undergraduate institution is not a very important factor as your undergraduate LSAT & GPA?
Who told you that? The prestige of the institution matters quite a bit. Go to a UC school if you can get into one, because your GPA will be perceived as inflated (if only just a bit) if you go the CSU route.
criminally bad advice

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:20 am

IAFG wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

criminally bad advice
Painfully so.

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:22 am

rayiner wrote:
IAFG wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

criminally bad advice
Painfully so.
Blatant croneyism; I hope you're not in the same freaking building right now :roll: .

haydee

New

Post by haydee » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:11 pm

rayiner wrote:

Enjoy your 153.
--ImageRemoved--

My meaningless untimed diagnostic was also a 169 8)
SBL wrote:If UCB, UCLA and UCSD are off the table, none of the rest are good enough that it will move the needle one way or another when you're applying to law school. Go to whichever UC or CSU is cheapest/looks like the place you'll have the best time.
I like this one.
It is credited.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:41 pm

Are any of the UC's even hard (save UCB engineering)? Don't they have a 3.95 median GPA for undergrads?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Are any of the UC's even hard (save UCB engineering)? Don't they have a 3.95 median GPA for undergrads?
Cue "not sure if serious" picture.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:54 pm

Hannibal wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Are any of the UC's even hard (save UCB engineering)? Don't they have a 3.95 median GPA for undergrads?
I'm serious, don't the UC's have rampant grade inflation?

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
According to the Boalt grade rubric from back when, the only one with significant grade inflation is UC Riverside, which is considered the worst UC to begin with.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:40 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
Not at all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:44 pm

SBL wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
Not at all.
The simple answer. My GPA of ~3.4 is in the top third of students registered with LSAC for my UC. Median is 3.2 or so. I wish I knew what the school median was for those not registered with LSAC since it would probably be far lower.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:31 am

Granted it was a fraternity, but our GPA median tended to be around 3.0, and that was usually the second or third highest of the 30 or so frats at UCB. My 3.8 made me a god. A god I tell you.

(if only my LS GPA was that good... :cry: )

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:39 am

Frsrs, UCs grade tough save Riverside and Merced.

Lots and lots of big arena style classes graded by TAs. Those are tougher to stand out in.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:50 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
Average GPAs according to gradeinflation.com:
Brown 3.61
Stanford 3.55
Yale 3.51
Harvard 3.45
Penn 3.44
Columbia 3.42
Dartmouth 3.42
Cornell 3.36
Chicago 3.35
Princeton 3.28

Berkeley 3.27