Does it look bad to apply to a lot of Law Schools?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bowmanbl

Does it look bad to apply to a lot of Law Schools?

Postby bowmanbl » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:01 am

I'm in the process of applying for law school. I have noticed on a lot of the applications that they ask where else you are applying to. Currently I have plans to apply to 12 different law schools. Does that look bad or hurt my chances?

bk1

Re: Does it look bad to apply to a lot of Law Schools?

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:01 am

No. Some people apply to over 20 schools.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:12 am

yeah 12 isn't that many from what I understand, like bk said many people apply to more than 20. Not sure at what point it hurts you (I wonder if anyone has ever applied to literally every accredited law school in the country just for the fuck of it?), but 12 is fine, I'll prob be applying to about that many.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:51 am

No, it does not look bad. I know a girl who applied to over 30 (seriously, WTF?). It really will not have any affect on your proess. But I'd keep in mind that unless you are a splitter or a URM, it may not be necessary to apply to a ton. Law school admissions are pretty predictable for most people.

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:10 am

I guess what you are really wondering is whether schools that ask where you are applying will view your application in a negative light when they see you are applying to 20 other schools. I also don't think it would matter at all, but I do wonder why they even ask.

kazu

Postby kazu » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:12 am

I don't think you even have to list all of them on those apps. I'm pretty sure usually people only list 4~5 "peer" schools.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:15 am

hijodehombre wrote:I guess what you are really wondering is whether schools that ask where you are applying will view your application in a negative light when they see you are applying to 20 other schools. I also don't think it would matter at all, but I do wonder why they even ask.

I think they do it for their own information and not really as a means of analyzing an applicant.

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:23 am

hijodehombre wrote:I guess what you are really wondering is whether schools that ask where you are applying will view your application in a negative light when they see you are applying to 20 other schools. I also don't think it would matter at all, but I do wonder why they even ask.

They want to know who their competitors are.

I generally agree with the sentiment that applying to a lot of schools will not hurt you. However, there's at least one reason it could count against you: yield protection. Schools want a high proportion of accepted students to enroll, and if you are applying to a lot of peer schools or to much higher ranked schools where you are likely to be admitted, then there will be more competition for you in the form of attractive acceptances. That means your odds of enrolling if accepted are lower, giving them a tiny reason to favor other candidates.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:25 am

I'm applying to about 20 schools. It was around 30 but I found a way to narrow it down. I think I going to be a splurged. Taking the LSAT again in oct. And have a low gpa

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”