Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2010-2011

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SentinelsOfEvil

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2010-2011

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:59 pm

turns out there is someone in this cycle who got into Harvard with a 180 and Superior (true international from a non english speaking country). can't reveal the person's name, but i guess that shows that Harvard probably does care about your GPA rating...

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:09 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
rockiesbrit wrote:So I'm a current second year UK Uni Student (Just got my Green Card!) planning on applying for the next cycle for entrance Class of 2015!

Hang on, if you're currently in your second year, and you're applying next cycle, that will be at the beginning of your third year, for admission at the end of your third year. So you would only have a three year degree. All US undergraduate degrees are four years. Don't you need a four year degree (in the UK, an honours degree) to even be considered for US law schools? Can somebody confirm or deny this for me? If that isn't a basic requirement, it would at least put you at a significant disadvantage. Every other British candidate on this thread seems to have an honors degree. Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong here - I can't seem to find a clear answer online.

england is 3 years for honours isn't it (only scotland is 4)

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:26 am

FlanAl wrote:england is 3 years for honours isn't it (only scotland is 4)

Oh, I guess you're right (wikipedia agrees with you). I am from the other side of the world, where an honours degree requires a 4th year of study, and is only offered to / completed by a minority of students - we must be on the Scottish model. I had mistakenly assumed the same was true in England. I suppose law schools must be okay with just a 3 year degree then.

rockiesbrit

Postby rockiesbrit » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:03 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
FlanAl wrote:england is 3 years for honours isn't it (only scotland is 4)

Oh, I guess you're right (wikipedia agrees with you). I am from the other side of the world, where an honours degree requires a 4th year of study, and is only offered to / completed by a minority of students - we must be on the Scottish model. I had mistakenly assumed the same was true in England. I suppose law schools must be okay with just a 3 year degree then.

Yep most Honours degrees here are on a three year time-scale, with the occasional 4 year implemented for longer courses or years abroad etc.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:04 am

SentinelsOfEvil wrote:Earth-Resident probably doesn't count. But I'm rooting for you. Good luck with Harvard. Did you apply anywhere else?

Nope. At the time I did not know Yale also met my only criterion. May or may not apply YH next year, since my higher score came rather late (07 January score date).

fletchcon

Postby fletchcon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:47 pm

Hi all,
Got accepted to U Michigan with some scholarship money and looks like this is where I'll be heading in the autumn (can't bring myself to say the fall yet!!). Have some personal funds set aside to cover a bit of the COA too but will be taking out private loans to cover about 30k a year. My loan application got approved by Citi today but the interest rate is a bit higher than I was hoping for, 5.75% + LIBOR.
Is anyone else planning on financing law school with private loans from American banks and if so have you put in your application yet/been notified of your interest rate?

LIBOR is really low at the moment I know (about 0.375 or something) but in more normal times it usually hovers around 3% right?

Does it generally move with the rates as set by the Fed/Bank of England/European Central Bank?

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Hey, Internationals~

How are internationals who have LSAC GPA evaluated? Is it the same as the way other Americans are evaluated? Any quota exists in each law school? In other words, is the lack of the citizenship/permanent residency disadvantageous to internationals regardless of their US UG GPA?

Thank you! :D

tvt86

Postby tvt86 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:58 am

lovejopd wrote:Hey, Internationals~

How are internationals who have LSAC GPA evaluated? Is it the same as the way other Americans are evaluated? Any quota exists in each law school? In other words, is the lack of the citizenship/permanent residency disadvantageous to internationals regardless of their US UG GPA?

Thank you! :D

If you went to UG in the US, law schools will just consider your GPA like they would evaluate any American applicant. Your lack of citizenship or permanent residency won't be a disadvantage. Some schools have in-state quotas, but I don't think any have non-US quotas. If your background gives you something interesting to write about in your personal statement, that may even be a slight help.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:04 am

WL / Withdrawn from Harvard, cycle over. Will reapply YH next year. Good luck to you all.

ikm212

Postby ikm212 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:04 am

Hi everyone,

I'm glad that we have a thread for internationals. I'm attending a British college - I have two questions.

1. When did you apply? If I were to apply during my 3rd (final) year, I would not have a degree classification (because that would come out at the end of 3rd year). Would I have to wait until after graduation to apply?

2. Does the LSAC take prelim grades into account... or will it just be my finals grades?

Thank you!

SentinelsOfEvil

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Wed May 18, 2011 3:39 am

ikm212 wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm glad that we have a thread for internationals. I'm attending a British college - I have two questions.

1. When did you apply? If I were to apply during my 3rd (final) year, I would not have a degree classification (because that would come out at the end of 3rd year). Would I have to wait until after graduation to apply?

2. Does the LSAC take prelim grades into account... or will it just be my finals grades?

Thank you!

While I applied 2 years after graduation, you definitely can apply in your final year. LSAC will take your prelim grades into account and you admissions to schools will be conditional on "not having a significant drop in grades" in the final year...

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:27 am

thought i'd put a quick update that i am in at cornell and at ucla. both of which happened very recently

SentinelsOfEvil

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:24 am

FlanAl wrote:thought i'd put a quick update that i am in at cornell and at ucla. both of which happened very recently

That is great. Congrats! Have you decided between the two yet?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:35 am

anyone think it would be a good idea to start a thread dedicated to just a detailed description of our cycles. i think there is a lot of good info in this thread but now that some of us are finished the info is probably less sensitive (if anyone thinks otherwise the thread could be done anonymously or something). if no one thinks that this deserves its own thread then I'll just post something here but i think it could be easier to navigate if it had its own thread.

Trequartista

Postby Trequartista » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:46 am

FlanAl wrote:anyone think it would be a good idea to start a thread dedicated to just a detailed description of our cycles. i think there is a lot of good info in this thread but now that some of us are finished the info is probably less sensitive (if anyone thinks otherwise the thread could be done anonymously or something). if no one thinks that this deserves its own thread then I'll just post something here but i think it could be easier to navigate if it had its own thread.

Please do. It would be extremely helpful.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:49 am

i'll wait a couple of days to see if anyone else is feeling it and if not i'll just post my cycle stuff here. feel free to pm me if you have any questions though

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:13 am

That sounds very helpful to me. Also, someone should start an 'Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012.' We're exactly one month from the date most schools start accepting apps.

dean159

Postby dean159 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:36 am

Hi all,

I've made a thread for the 2011-2012 applicants over here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=162609 so feel free to come and give your advice to all of us going through the process this year.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”