Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2010-2011

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
eeeeeek

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2010-2011

Postby eeeeeek » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:06 am

i haven't been checking my status lately and i just found out DECISION LETTER FROM NYU SENT 12/3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's still on its way though so i don't know what it says. i hope they didn't contact me before christmas just to let me know i've been rejected.

mandobob

Postby mandobob » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:48 am

eeeeeek wrote:i haven't been checking my status lately and i just found out DECISION LETTER FROM NYU SENT 12/3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's still on its way though so i don't know what it says. i hope they didn't contact me before christmas just to let me know i've been rejected.

dude, i always wanted to go to Michigan. It looks awesome......granted NYU.....

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:56 am

hey eeeek thanks for posting your lsac rating i think by the end of the cycle this thread will be chock full of great examples of how international applicants do.

i hope that nyu works out for you!

pokerlaw

Postby pokerlaw » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:25 am

In at Washington and Lee.

US citizen, UK undergrad here.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:28 am

Just got my Georgetown acceptance letter today. It took two weeks to the day from when they mailed it. Not too bad, considering i'm in west nowhere halfway around the world. I particularly enjoyed how they emblazoned CHINA in big letters on the front of the envelope :-)

mandobob

Postby mandobob » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:07 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Just got my Georgetown acceptance letter today. It took two weeks to the day from when they mailed it. Not too bad, considering i'm in west nowhere halfway around the world. I particularly enjoyed how they emblazoned CHINA in big letters on the front of the envelope :-)

wow that must be a record! im sure theres Americans still waiting for months for Georgetown!

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:05 am

Accepted to Columbia!!!!!!!! I am all over this site right now but this is literally the most exciting thing that has ever happened to me. I have a 2:2. Seriously, this is anecdotal evidence that LSAT may be the most important factor. I do have some interesting softs (not gonna lie, I know everyone says that, but these are truly unique) which may have influenced things, but if I can do it, you all can do it.

Life is good!

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:16 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Just got my Georgetown acceptance letter today. It took two weeks to the day from when they mailed it. Not too bad, considering i'm in west nowhere halfway around the world. I particularly enjoyed how they emblazoned CHINA in big letters on the front of the envelope :-)

Congrats! Argh, I wish my beloved undergrad would show me some love (not that it'd matter since I'll probably go from Hoya --> Wolverine anyway, but still).

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:50 am

hey piccolittle major congrats!!! its great to know that "average" applicants (just kidding) can do amazing things. its fantastic to see this side of things, not that I'm not happy for all the superiors success stories its just nice to see what happens on a broader spectrum of degree classification.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:40 am

mandobob wrote:

wow that must be a record! im sure theres Americans still waiting for months for Georgetown!

Thanks guys :-) Now...if they'd only give me money...

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:38 am

FlanAl wrote:hey piccolittle major congrats!!! its great to know that "average" applicants (just kidding) can do amazing things. its fantastic to see this side of things, not that I'm not happy for all the superiors success stories its just nice to see what happens on a broader spectrum of degree classification.

Definitely. I really hope that this thread can provide info for foreign applicants in future years. Maybe once our cycles are done, we can give more detailed info about our apps (softs, etc beyond the numbers).

Just a HUGE congrats to piccolittle. It must feel pretty amazing!

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:17 am

cigrainger wrote:
FlanAl wrote:hey piccolittle major congrats!!! its great to know that "average" applicants (just kidding) can do amazing things. its fantastic to see this side of things, not that I'm not happy for all the superiors success stories its just nice to see what happens on a broader spectrum of degree classification.

Definitely. I really hope that this thread can provide info for foreign applicants in future years. Maybe once our cycles are done, we can give more detailed info about our apps (softs, etc beyond the numbers).

Just a HUGE congrats to piccolittle. It must feel pretty amazing!

Thank you all - and congrats, cigrainger, on NYU!!!

I'm happy to discuss my softs or anything else if anyone wants to PM me. I was a point below a 2:1 classification by my university's standards, but LSAC rated me as 'Above Average'.

LSN: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/piccolittle

I really do hope that this thread proves helpful to future applicants with foreign qualifications - my cycle was pretty much blind as there was really nothing helpful out there. I'm actually still not sure why they accepted me! lol

eeeeeek

Postby eeeeeek » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:28 pm

IN AT NYU!!!!
and waitlisted at penn.

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:45 pm

pokerlaw wrote:In at Washington and Lee.

hey pokerlaw, do you mind telling me your numbers? I got my quickest rejection ever from W&L and I feel a bit puzzled.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:58 pm

NYU granted my deferral request -- life is good!

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:10 am

I'm lucky enough to be in Harvard at this point and thought there might be some non-U.S. citizens who are in a similar situation. I'm starting to research cost of degree and am wondering about Harvard's institutional loans:

For grant recipients, the first portion of need is always met with a base loan package. The base loan may consist of a combination of Federal Stafford, Perkins, Harvard, and supplemental loan funds. For international students (those who are not eligible for U.S Federal Loans), the federal Stafford and Perkins loans will be replaced with Harvard institutional loans.

I suppose I'll find out soon enough, but does anyone know how much of an advantage the institutional loans are? Do they match the Stafford loans interest rate? Anybody with experience going the private loans route?

I'm obviously not used to going into six-figure debt with no tangible asset to show for it :D Any experiences, insight, or links are welcome.

Ivan91

Postby Ivan91 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:43 pm

Congrats guys !!!
Why not make this tread sticky ? It would be of great help to international students in the future.

lsatter

Postby lsatter » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:43 am

Echoing The Real Jack McCoy, have any internationals (especially UK) thought about how they're going to fund this? I'm sitting on an offer (yay!), but have started briefly researching loans online, and professional development loans are, obviously, geared to home nationals, for £10k over 1 year - not £70k+ over 3 - going into a bank and talking to them in person is the next step, but if people have already got leads/struck out on some tracks, would be very worthwhile knowing?

Cheers!

pokerlaw

Postby pokerlaw » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:21 pm

xqhp82 wrote:
pokerlaw wrote:In at Washington and Lee.

hey pokerlaw, do you mind telling me your numbers? I got my quickest rejection ever from W&L and I feel a bit puzzled.

PM'd

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:45 pm

i posted one of these in the "what are my chances forum" but was hoping some other international kids could give some advice.

foreign gpa "above average" cancel, 170. Softs really not much to speak of but here goes: eagle scout, university surf team captain, worked since I was 14 my last job during my junior and senior year was through my school's disability service (I took notes for special needs students).

here is my list:

Penn--hail mary play
Boalt-- second hail mary
UVA ED-- here's hoping
Duke-- Targetish?
Mich-- Targetish?
Vandy-- Target
USC-- Target
UT-- just south of target
UCLA-- Target?
USD-- Safety

so yeah there are a few question marks there and I thank you all for whatever help or advice you could give, i know its late in the cycle so i'm really not sure how i stand with a lot of these schools.

thanks

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Hey Al, I like your list, and I think your reaches/targets are appropriate. I do like your chances at Penn quite a bit, actually (though that's mostly based on instinct). Bar that, I do think UVA ED is a good idea. Sorry that wasn't more helpful, but I think you've got a pretty good picture of your chances here.

Then again, if I were you, I would apply to the school of your dreams, one that you may think you have no chance at. As foreigns, our cycles are very mysterious. You never know - it worked for me :)

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:10 pm

hey thanks for the advice picco. I also have a good feeling about Penn. A family friend has been helping me out through this process and just graduated from there so there have been some good Penn omens via her. But yeah here's hoping for UVa! Its my top choice and it would be great to find out soon what I'll be up to next year, retail is getting a bit dull.

Anyone else care to chance me?

eeeeeek

Postby eeeeeek » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:05 am

Ivan91 wrote:Congrats guys !!!
Why not make this tread sticky ? It would be of great help to international students in the future.

i like this idea. :)

also, on hold at harvard and waitlisted at chicago as of today.
not sure how to respond to the waitlist invitation from penn.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:49 am

eeeeeek wrote:also, on hold at harvard and waitlisted at chicago as of today.
not sure how to respond to the waitlist invitation from penn.

Same here at H and C. Did you get WL from Penn too? It's disappointing to be hitting the waitlists so early.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:51 am

FlanAl wrote:hey thanks for the advice picco. I also have a good feeling about Penn. A family friend has been helping me out through this process and just graduated from there so there have been some good Penn omens via her. But yeah here's hoping for UVa! Its my top choice and it would be great to find out soon what I'll be up to next year, retail is getting a bit dull.

Anyone else care to chance me?

I like your chance at Penn. Just write good essays. Apply to a joint program if you are interested, they love them and they are easy to complete.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”