Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2010-2011

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cigrainger

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2010-2011

Postby cigrainger » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:39 am

After some heavy PS editing today, submitted at UVA, NYU, and Chicago. Money allowing, Columbia and Harvard by the end of the week, and Penn and Berkeley next week!

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:41 am

Hooray!

Can I join this convo? I went to UG in the states and am a US citizen, but I'm currently living abroad...

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:46 am

cigrainger wrote:After some heavy PS editing today, submitted at UVA, NYU, and Chicago. Money allowing, Columbia and Harvard by the end of the week, and Penn and Berkeley next week!

submitted Berkeley last night! don't even bother revising my PS anymore....

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:49 am

Permanent resident vs US Citizen...is there a difference in application process?

I was a permanent resident that became a US Citizen. I looked at my undergrad profile and it still says permanent resident. Not sure if this matters.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:58 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Hooray!

Can I join this convo? I went to UG in the states and am a US citizen, but I'm currently living abroad...

Sure, why not. :mrgreen:

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:59 am

I love how early the TLS crowd applies. Also, I wonder if the applicants on LSN who have already been submitted to UVA and were accepted the day after they went complete are real...

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:01 am

cigrainger wrote:

Yay! We can all stalk foreign mailmen together!

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:16 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
cigrainger wrote:

Yay! We can all stalk foreign mailmen together!

I'm just stalking my dad -- I gave schools my parents' address because I'm in a part of Vietnam that has unreliable post.

So every day from now on I'm going to skype him: IS THE BIG PURPLE ENVELOPE THERE?! CHECK ON THE GROUND AROUND THE MAILBOX. WHERE IS MY ENVELOPE?!?! TAKE PICTURES!!!

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:11 am

I am LSAC complete at all 3 of the above.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:28 am

And now I've submitted Columbia. I think that's me done for the day. :D

thesybarite

Postby thesybarite » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:45 pm

Cig you are a freaking legend. Computer just crapped out when I was halfway through loading first app. Am now feeling annoyed and deflated. Time to fill out those forms again. :evil:

Congrats on your efforts

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:42 pm

thesybarite wrote:Cig you are a freaking legend. Computer just crapped out when I was halfway through loading first app. Am now feeling annoyed and deflated. Time to fill out those forms again. :evil:

Congrats on your efforts

Thank you! I submitted Berkeley last night as well, couldn't resist. I'm UNDER REVIEW at UVA and everything has been received at Chicago and Columbia. No word from Berkeley or NYU yet. I need to submit my ED contract for NYU, but they said I could scan/email it.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:01 am

Where are those anecdotes!!! haha

I wonder if cig will get an acceptance at a t14 before I even get my first app in?

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:25 am

FlanAl wrote:Where are those anecdotes!!! haha

I wonder if cig will get an acceptance at a t14 before I even get my first app in?

Please yes. :mrgreen:

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:25 pm

Complete at Chicago. Submitted and received/got my status checker at Harvard. Just Penn left to submit!

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:18 pm

i envy you so much cigranger! if i wasn't having my final exams last june i'd have my LSAT score ready for submission...

submitted to Berkeley, Michigan, UVA, Texas and BU. I'm too scared to send out my Cornell app cause it's my dream school and I fear my pending LSAT score is going to ruin it. Although it doesn't really make a difference now when I send it does it...

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:50 pm

xqhp82 wrote:i envy you so much cigranger! if i wasn't having my final exams last june i'd have my LSAT score ready for submission...

submitted to Berkeley, Michigan, UVA, Texas and BU. I'm too scared to send out my Cornell app cause it's my dream school and I fear my pending LSAT score is going to ruin it. Although it doesn't really make a difference now when I send it does it...

Thanks! Lets hope applying early helps. You will kick the LSATs ass, and when you do, you will go to Cornell with $$$.

In other news, Berkeley needs to speed up. Everyone else has sent me a status checker. Except NYU, but they just like to keep everybody strapped to the mailbox for the purple envelope.

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:30 am

cigrainger wrote:
xqhp82 wrote:i envy you so much cigranger! if i wasn't having my final exams last june i'd have my LSAT score ready for submission...

Thanks! Lets hope applying early helps. You will kick the LSATs ass, and when you do, you will go to Cornell with $$$.

In other news, Berkeley needs to speed up. Everyone else has sent me a status checker. Except NYU, but they just like to keep everybody strapped to the mailbox for the purple envelope.

that's really weird, cause I received the status checker from Berkeley the next day I submitted my app and mine isn't even complete. If that's the same status checker you meant...is it the account where you can log on and change password etc.?

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:46 am

xqhp82 wrote:
cigrainger wrote:

that's really weird, cause I received the status checker from Berkeley the next day I submitted my app and mine isn't even complete. If that's the same status checker you meant...is it the account where you can log on and change password etc.?

Yep, that's the one. I've been checking my spam and trash folders pretty regularly too. Hmm. LSAC says they have requested my CAS report though..

thesybarite

Postby thesybarite » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:28 am

Hey Cig...for the record your efficiency is killing me :mrgreen:

I read last night on the misc thread (which is totally out of control - I'll never find it now), that you're interested in big cities mainly. So am I, and for similar reasons. What are your thoughts on Washington? Does it count??

My preference for cities has caused me to be very selective in my apps, so any broader knowledge you can cast on the situation would be great :D

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:43 am

thesybarite wrote:Hey Cig...for the record your efficiency is killing me :mrgreen:

I read last night on the misc thread (which is totally out of control - I'll never find it now), that you're interested in big cities mainly. So am I, and for similar reasons. What are your thoughts on Washington? Does it count??

My preference for cities has caused me to be very selective in my apps, so any broader knowledge you can cast on the situation would be great :D

I just hope schools are as efficient in giving me decisions. :lol:

DC? Absolutely! I love DC. I personally am just not all that interested in Georgetown as a school. For this cycle, I'm only applying to reaches and high targets, because I have solid backups if I don't go to law school this year, and I will retake the LSAT if I get locked out.

My T14 list for city living (because my SO needs a job) was Harvard, Columbia, Chicago, NYU, Berkeley (yes, it's outside SF, but within reasonable commuting distance, unlike Stanford), Penn, NU, and Georgetown.

thesybarite

Postby thesybarite » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:54 am

cigrainger wrote:
thesybarite wrote:Hey Cig...for the record your efficiency is killing me :mrgreen:

I just hope schools are as efficient in giving me decisions. :lol:

DC? Absolutely! I love DC. I personally am just not all that interested in Georgetown as a school. For this cycle, I'm only applying to reaches and high targets, because I have solid backups if I don't go to law school this year, and I will retake the LSAT if I get locked out.

My T14 list for city living (because my SO needs a job) was Harvard, Columbia, Chicago, NYU, Berkeley (yes, it's outside SF, but within reasonable commuting distance, unlike Stanford), Penn, NU, and Georgetown.

Thanks that's really helpful!! Yeah Stanford is a bit of a no-go. Will review a couple of those re work choices. Cheers :D

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:34 am

Hello!
Also a Brit applying this year, science undergrad from UK uni.
So how does a 2:1 compare to US in terms of GPA?
I was quoted a wide range by LSAC, but when I had transcripts evaluated by a private company they gave me around 3.65.

Anybody have any experience of how law schools handle this?

Good luck in your apps!

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:03 pm

Skyhook wrote:Hello!
Also a Brit applying this year, science undergrad from UK uni.
So how does a 2:1 compare to US in terms of GPA?
I was quoted a wide range by LSAC, but when I had transcripts evaluated by a private company they gave me around 3.65.

Anybody have any experience of how law schools handle this?

Good luck in your apps!

I think this is discussed earlier in the thread, but you'll receive an evaluation rating ('Superior', 'Above Average', 'Average', and 'Below Average' are available, 2:1s are considered 'Above Average') and the general idea is that 'Above Average' and 'Superior' are treated as roughly median for admissions purposes and you should apply to schools where your LSAT is at or above median.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:04 pm

In other news, I was accepted to the phone interview round for TFA today! Wooo! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”