Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2010-2011

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
xqhp82

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2010-2011

Postby xqhp82 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:17 am

Hello people:)

so unfortunately i didnt get the score i want (163 as opposed to 165-166, although 163 is probably my avg. PT score) and i'm in the retake dilemma. I want to get into the T15-25 range schools and I know that my 'above average' GPA isnt going to get me very far.....with all the school work piling up now I don't know how much effort I can put into studying LSAT and get that 3 point increase! (i know 3 points sounds easy but I'm even more scared about getting a -3) Any advice??

While I'm still deciding, I wonder whether any of you lovely UK people have any spare LSAT prep materials that I can buy off for a lower price?? I left all my stuff in HK after taking my test there so....I don't know what I will need since I've done pretty much every question from PT1-60, but I'll probably some recent tests and drill with older questions.

london123

Postby london123 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:07 pm

xqhp82 wrote:
london123 wrote:Hi all - sorry to be such a late joiner to this thread, glad i found it!

I'm from Holland but educated in the UK, applying to just 5 reach schools this cycle. Share the opinion on GPA - I was also 'above average' despite an average of 69%...

Did anyone else address the 'why US law not UK' issue in their PS or application?

Oh hi my UK GPA twin...just how much it sucks to have a 69%!

I didn't address that issue in my PS, probably because I don't know the clear answer myself...I consider doing the 1-year conversion course but I just thought a JD would be more versatile and challenging. And partly because I hated law 3 years ago leading me to reject the offer to study LLB. But I think for us internationals who are neither from the UK or the US the question doesn't really matter....

Yeah I addressed it because I've been offered some training contracts with London firms so thought i'd need to explain why I'd prefer the US.

Anyone else on here going for ED Columbia?!

eeeeeek

Postby eeeeeek » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:08 am

In at Georgetown!!! xD
Letter said October 25, received it in the mail just today because I'm currently abroad. :D

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:56 am

eeeeeek wrote:In at Georgetown!!! xD
Letter said October 25, received it in the mail just today because I'm currently abroad. :D

Congrats! That's two internationals now.

thesybarite

Postby thesybarite » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:56 am

Congrats again! That's great news. I haven't applied to Georgetown yet. I'm vaguely put-off by Washington, but maybe I should just bite the bullet. Inspirational :D
Last edited by thesybarite on Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

JenBunny

Postby JenBunny » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:13 am

Hi everyone. Congrats to those who have already started receiving their acceptance letters! And good luck to those who are still waiting to hear! Everyone here is making me feel so far behind...I am going to have all of my applications submitted before Thanksgiving come hell or high water, but at the moment I'm still waiting on some of my LORs to make their way to LSAC (they're all coming from the UK) and I'm still tweaking my PS, so I've not submitted anything yet!

In any case, I have a question that's probably most relevant to other UK students, but it may be applicable to those who studied in other countries as well....Basically, I am wondering if anyone including an addendum with their application to talk about the British style of marking and the general system of instruction (and perhaps why it will make us especially well suited to adapting to law school). By this I mean, the tutorial system, the fact that marks are typically determined by a final exam (mine were always essay based exams) and one or two essays throughout the semester...there were no small quizzes or assignments that could be used to boost the grade, etc. Not that the UK-system is better, just different and from what others have told me, might be more similar to the methods of instruction and marking in law schools than some US-based students are used to.

Did anyone include something like this with their application? (Particularly those students who have already been accepted to Georgetown, as that--along with NYU--is my top choice!) Thanks for the advice!

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:23 am

JenBunny wrote:Hi everyone. Congrats to those who have already started receiving their acceptance letters! And good luck to those who are still waiting to hear! Everyone here is making me feel so far behind...I am going to have all of my applications submitted before Thanksgiving come hell or high water, but at the moment I'm still waiting on some of my LORs to make their way to LSAC (they're all coming from the UK) and I'm still tweaking my PS, so I've not submitted anything yet!

In any case, I have a question that's probably most relevant to other UK students, but it may be applicable to those who studied in other countries as well....Basically, I am wondering if anyone including an addendum with their application to talk about the British style of marking and the general system of instruction (and perhaps why it will make us especially well suited to adapting to law school). By this I mean, the tutorial system, the fact that marks are typically determined by a final exam (mine were always essay based exams) and one or two essays throughout the semester...there were no small quizzes or assignments that could be used to boost the grade, etc. Not that the UK-system is better, just different and from what others have told me, might be more similar to the methods of instruction and marking in law schools than some US-based students are used to.

Did anyone include something like this with their application? (Particularly those students who have already been accepted to Georgetown, as that--along with NYU--is my top choice!) Thanks for the advice!

I didn't, but I think I've heard in the past of people getting an extra 'letter of recommendation' from a professor who is knowledgeable about this and willing to write it -- basically not a 'letter of rec' but an explanation of the system. For example, if you had American or British professors who had done their undergrads or PhDs in the states, or who had also taught there, perhaps they could submit remarks to this effect.

That all being said, I'm not sure it's necessary. I'm fairly certain that schools at this level get a great number of foreign applicants, particularly British, and are aware of the differences. If they aren't, it would behoove them to be.

JenBunny

Postby JenBunny » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:41 am

cigrainger wrote:
JenBunny wrote:Hi everyone. Congrats to those who have already started receiving their acceptance letters! And good luck to those who are still waiting to hear! Everyone here is making me feel so far behind...I am going to have all of my applications submitted before Thanksgiving come hell or high water, but at the moment I'm still waiting on some of my LORs to make their way to LSAC (they're all coming from the UK) and I'm still tweaking my PS, so I've not submitted anything yet!

I didn't, but I think I've heard in the past of people getting an extra 'letter of recommendation' from a professor who is knowledgeable about this and willing to write it -- basically not a 'letter of rec' but an explanation of the system. For example, if you had American or British professors who had done their undergrads or PhDs in the states, or who had also taught there, perhaps they could submit remarks to this effect.

That all being said, I'm not sure it's necessary. I'm fairly certain that schools at this level get a great number of foreign applicants, particularly British, and are aware of the differences. If they aren't, it would behoove them to be.

Ok, good to know. I didn't think that it would be necessary as most schools are quite familiar (or should be) with the British system, as you've said, but I know a couple of other people who in years past have sent something, I guess just to err on the side of caution. I was just worried about not including it if it was the norm to send something along! I'm not going to worry about it in that case....Thanks!

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:09 am

How are things going for you guys? I've been hearing crickets since gtown.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:30 am

I forgot that I applied to 14 other schools between 4-7 weeks ago... it's been a while!

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:26 pm

I'm complete most places, but I'm not expecting to hear anything for a while since I'm quite a splitter (3.3/172).

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:00 pm

No news?

Ivan91

Postby Ivan91 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:28 pm

Where are you from , guys :)

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:23 am

I'm giving serious though to doing a masters before law school, like LSE's MSc in Regulation. There are some visa issues with my SO that need to be worked out, and I feel like I'd love to live and study in London for a year (and spend another year in the UK in general). What do you guys think? I figure I can defer if I get into the schools I want and reapply if I don't.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:43 pm

cigrainger wrote:I'm giving serious though to doing a masters before law school, like LSE's MSc in Regulation. There are some visa issues with my SO that need to be worked out, and I feel like I'd love to live and study in London for a year (and spend another year in the UK in general). What do you guys think? I figure I can defer if I get into the schools I want and reapply if I don't.

That's what I did after I couldn't move out of state for family reasons. Decided not to defer at Michigan and reapply. Didn't want to tie my hands at that point. Enjoying my masters degree experience, so glad I did it.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:57 pm

r6_philly wrote:
cigrainger wrote:I'm giving serious though to doing a masters before law school, like LSE's MSc in Regulation. There are some visa issues with my SO that need to be worked out, and I feel like I'd love to live and study in London for a year (and spend another year in the UK in general). What do you guys think? I figure I can defer if I get into the schools I want and reapply if I don't.

That's what I did after I couldn't move out of state for family reasons. Decided not to defer at Michigan and reapply. Didn't want to tie my hands at that point. Enjoying my masters degree experience, so glad I did it.

What did you end up studying?

Also, do you think you'd piss off a school if you EDed and were accepted and didn't attend any law school that year (withdrew from all others as stipulated in the contract)? Or would you basically have to defer?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:52 pm

cigrainger wrote:

Also, do you think you'd piss off a school if you EDed and were accepted and didn't attend any law school that year (withdrew from all others as stipulated in the contract)? Or would you basically have to defer?

Master of Public Administration - proposed concentration in nonprofit management (I might end up getting a certificate in nonprofit management as well if I do all the courses required). I couldn't leave the area last year on short notice (was accepted late May) so I turned around and applied to Penn and got in the MPA program and started in Sept.

I had this discussion about ED before, and I feel that the contract only binds you to the current year (but I am not lawyer obviously lol). I don't know how that school will view you not matriculating. I suspect if you get in ED, you will need to either defer or forget about that school next year. I don't know how LSAC communicate info between schools (if they do) but I don't know if that would impact you EDing other schools the next cycle. Hopefully not, but the original school would not be pleased. I would get clarification on the ED contract (and its effect on future cycle) from the school before withdrawing/deferring.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:48 pm

r6_philly wrote:
cigrainger wrote:

Master of Public Administration - proposed concentration in nonprofit management (I might end up getting a certificate in nonprofit management as well if I do all the courses required). I couldn't leave the area last year on short notice (was accepted late May) so I turned around and applied to Penn and got in the MPA program and started in Sept.

I had this discussion about ED before, and I feel that the contract only binds you to the current year (but I am not lawyer obviously lol). I don't know how that school will view you not matriculating. I suspect if you get in ED, you will need to either defer or forget about that school next year. I don't know how LSAC communicate info between schools (if they do) but I don't know if that would impact you EDing other schools the next cycle. Hopefully not, but the original school would not be pleased. I would get clarification on the ED contract (and its effect on future cycle) from the school before withdrawing/deferring.

This is really interesting to me -- the other option that interests me is a masters in public policy of some sorts. UCL has an excellent 1 year MSc in Public Policy. Do you think the MPA will help your legal career? Hoping to go into something related?

Also, how do you like Penn's program? It's one my girlfriend is very interested in.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:24 pm

cigrainger wrote:This is really interesting to me -- the other option that interests me is a masters in public policy of some sorts. UCL has an excellent 1 year MSc in Public Policy. Do you think the MPA will help your legal career? Hoping to go into something related?

Also, how do you like Penn's program? It's one my girlfriend is very interested in.

I love my experience so far. very collegial and very pleasant. Penn has both Public Policy and Public Administration programs, and I chose the Public Administration because the focus is practical skills. The goal of the program is to prepare us for government/non-profit management jobs. It is definitely different than a policy, and I think I made the right choice for me. My program does a lot for someone who will stay in the region. The networking is great, and I think it will open doors in city/state gov and regional non-profits. I have 2 classmates that served on recent congressional campaigns, and one that is a sitting mayor for a town not too far away.

As for helping my career, I want to run a consulting service down the road, and this MPA will give me many options for contracting with city/state governments. May also help me land one of those cushy county/city solicitor jobs that you don't have to work for lol

If you have any questions about our program, feel free to PM me. I help run our marketing online, so if you need info about the school or Penn in general, let me know.

seven889

Postby seven889 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:56 pm

Do international students who did undergrad overseas but have a US graduate degree still have to submit a TOEFL score? I'm just wondering.

Ivan91

Postby Ivan91 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:15 pm

No law sch requires TOEFL

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:28 pm

Ivan91 wrote:No law sch requires TOEFL

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/5673.htm

Misinformation is a bad thing.

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:12 pm

A few law schools require TOEFL, especially those outside of the T14. Duke is the only T-14 that requires one, the others I can think of are UC Davis, Indiana-Bloomington and Emory.

I really don't understand why they do not accept international students who study in the UK as a TOEFL waiver. Are they suggesting that people can't learn English in England?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:38 pm

xqhp82 wrote:

A few law schools require TOEFL, especially those outside of the T14. Duke is the only T-14 that requires one, the others I can think of are UC Davis, Indiana-Bloomington and Emory.

I really don't understand why they do not accept international students who study in the UK as a TOEFL waiver. Are they suggesting that people can't learn English in England?

How did you read my post and come up with that answer?

deadpoetnsp

Postby deadpoetnsp » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:53 pm

xqhp82 wrote:

There are quite a few law schools that require applicants with a non-US undergrad degree to give the TOEFL. However, many of them waive the requirement if you happen to have a US graduate degree. Further, many law schools waive the TOEFL if your undergrad is from Australia, UK, Canada, ... etc. Just email them and state your particular details, and request a waiver.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”