Can I even get into law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Crazzzybudha

Can I even get into law school?

Postby Crazzzybudha » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:53 am

I've been worried about this for quite some time and was hoping to find some advice here. I live in Ohio. I have a low for law school GPA of 3.1, I'm taking the LSAT in October. Ive been scoring in the mid160's at least, although time is still an issue for me. I figure if I have a good day on test day I can hit close to 170. If I have a bad day I might be in the low 160's or high 150's. Am I competitive at all?

Oh, and then theres the other thing. When I was 18 (Im now 24) I got arrested for possession of marijuana paraphernalia. Not really arrested, its semi decriminalized here, I got a ticket, paid a fine, went through a "scared straight" kind of program and the charge was expunged. First, should I even mention this incident? That summer I went to Florida with some friends, got busted (another ticket kind of thing) for under-aged drinking. The thing about this one is, I ended up being diagnosed with cancer the following fall, and while undergoing chemo my doctors called/wrote to Florida telling them not to stress me out (I had a fine which I never got around to paying). I cant find any record of it in Florida, so I don't know if anything ever happened with that. One more. Then the next spring some friends and I tried to steal a street sign, this time we got arrested. But in court I played the "I have cancer and am about to have a major surgery" card, and almost everything was dropped. I was charged with a bunch of stuff (theft, resisting arrest, obstructing official buisness) but all I plead guilty or no contest to was obstructing official business.

Does all this disqualify me for law school? Are my scores competitive? Should I just put down the LSAT prep books now and figure out something else to do with my life?

beachbum

Re: Can I even get into law school?

Postby beachbum » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:58 am

a) Stop committing crimes.
b) Yes, disclose all of this on your apps.
c) Do well on the LSAT. Then we'll talk.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:01 pm

"Are my scores competitive?" Practice tests do not count.

Yes, you can get admitted to law school.

Yes, you must disclose even expunged arrests & offenses on your law school applications unless a law school specifically states to exclude certain types of minor offenses.

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:07 pm

All these incidents happened 4-5 years ago? These events won't automatically preclude you from attending law school. Just be sure to disclose everything in an addendum and write about what you learned from the experiences.

Will you be competitive? It depends on what schools you're shooting for and how forgiving the adcomms at those schools are to cases such as yours. However, you can definitely get into a law school, it just might not be a great one. Check out LawSchoolNumbers.com or http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/ when working out what your chances will be at specific schools.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:29 pm

beachbum wrote:a) Stop committing crimes.

EDIT

a) Stop getting CAUGHT

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:38 pm

Dude I was in the same exact spot as you 2 years ago

From Ohio, several lets just call them "infractions" similar to yours, shitty GPA (3.2 from OSU), crap LSAT (156), and now I am at a t10 (Berkeley). Not only can you get into law school, with some work and luck you could end up at a really good one.

hncsarge34

Postby hncsarge34 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:45 pm

JPU wrote:Dude I was in the same exact spot as you 2 years ago

From Ohio, several lets just call them "infractions" similar to yours, shitty GPA (3.2 from OSU), crap LSAT (156), and now I am at a t10 (Berkeley). Not only can you get into law school, with some work and luck you could end up at a really good one.

This sounds like a story worth sharing (getting to Berkeley, not the "infractions")

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:56 pm

hncsarge34 wrote:This sounds like a story worth sharing (getting to Berkeley, not the "infractions")

Started at a t4, landed at the top of my class, transfered. I was pretty active in the transfer forum last year if your looking for more background.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:58 pm

Anyone can get into law school. The question is whether you can get into a law school worth going to.

Hint: The answer depends on your LSAT.

mst

Postby mst » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:12 am

If you're in the 160's you can get into A law school. With that GPA it probably won't be a super awesome one, but if you can score high enough (high 160's) I'm sure some schools with OK job prospects will open their door to you.

Crazzzybudha

Postby Crazzzybudha » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:41 pm

I just wanted to update this in case someone in a similar situation happens to come across it. So I will go ahead and answer my own questions.

First, I scored a 167 on the LSAT, which probably helped me more than anything. My GPA as calculated by LSAC was 2.88, due to retake classes which are not counted by my university, but are counted by LSAC. I aimed kind of low as far as rankings go because I was afraid of not getting in anywhere. I also applied to about 15-18 schools because of this. I applied to 4-5 low first tier schools ranking about 25 for the highest ranked school I applied to. The majority I applied to were 2nd tier. Being pessimistic I also applied to a couple of 3rd and 4th tier schools. I also applied kind of late, early January, which didn't help me.

So far I have gotten replies from about half the schools I applied to. Of the 9 schools I got decisions from, I have been accepted at 7. I got waitlisted at a school in the first tier, the second highest I've applied to, and denied at a second tier school. I have been admitted at all the higher 2nd tier schools I applied to so far. The third tier schools have been very generously with scholarships and I have been getting half rides or so from second tier schools. The second tier school I didnt get into is kind of a snobby (or so the reputation is from what I hear) private school, my numbers in the predictors easily got me admitted there, so it was likely my criminal record that held me back.

So, to anyone worried about their criminal record and reading this, my advice is to do well on the LSAT. That seems to matter more than anything else. My PS focused on overcoming that time in my life, my "troubled past", and not just on the incidents themselves. Disclose everything, schools really don't seem to worry about the criminal record as much as whether or not everything was disclosed. Do that, and you'll be fine. Maybe you won't get into the top schools, or the snobby ones, but you can get into decent schools and take it from there.

Good luck.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:13 am

thanks for the update. do you have an lsn profile by any chance?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”