Does it matter when I apply? Do extracurriculars matter?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
super6

Does it matter when I apply? Do extracurriculars matter?

Postby super6 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:05 am

Firstly, I was wondering if most law schools use rolling admissions (therefore making it smarter to apply early) or do most not? This matters because I'm taking a formal logic class right now and the time I apply isn't a big deal then it'd be best to do my LSAT retake in December instead of October because I'd be done with the class.

Also, I'm in the honor society for my major and another club for an interest outside my major, would joining my school's pre-law fraternity in any way improve my admission prospects? I ask because I attended one of their information meetings and it really doesn't look like the sort of thing I'd be into but if it factors into admissions at all I would do it.

Lastly, I remember seeing talk on the forums a while ago about how the ABA (I'm pretty sure it was the ABA but it could have been the LSAC) recommends that schools take the highest, as opposed to the average of, your LSAT's, but some schools still average. Is there a chart for this? Do most schools average even if your improvement is significant? I ask because I got a 162 in June but I didn't really prepare for it very well, not realizing it could be averaged. Right now I'm scoring in the 168-171 range which seems outside the realm of fluctuation one gets just by luck.

Na_Swatch

Re: Does it matter when I apply? Do extracurriculars matter?

Postby Na_Swatch » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:14 am

Applying early will help you a bit...

However a higher LSAT score will help you much more as almost no schools average anymore. So definitely retake and get your score higher, then apply

rcweedman

Postby rcweedman » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:35 am

I don't think completing a formal logic class will help you very much with your LSAT score.

If you're already CONSISTENTLY scoring around 170 and that score is at the 75th percentile for the school you want, then you should take the October LSAT and have your applications submitted before Thanksgiving in order to maximize your chances.

Each school accounts for multiple LSAT's differently.
Last edited by rcweedman on Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:01 am

1.) Yes, to a degree
2.) Yes, to a lesser degree

super6

Postby super6 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:10 am

SBL wrote:1.) Yes, to a degree

With regard to 2, would it matter enough to be worth the time? As mentioned in my first post I'm in the honor society for my major and an unrelated club (a club that builds rockets, oddly enough) and, pending approval from the station programming director, I'll be cohosting a show on campus radio about law and technology. At some point do additional extracurriculars lost meaning and stop adding to an application?

Postby 20160810 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:44 am

super6 wrote:

With regard to 2, would it matter enough to be worth the time? As mentioned in my first post I'm in the honor society for my major and an unrelated club (a club that builds rockets, oddly enough) and, pending approval from the station programming director, I'll be cohosting a show on campus radio about law and technology. At some point do additional extracurriculars lost meaning and stop adding to an application?

Only do extracurriculars that you find fun and personally fulfilling. Absolutely none of the things you've mentioned will help your application even the tiniest bit - however a resume with NO extracurricular involvement whatsoever will put you at a disadvantage relative to other applicants with your GPA and LSAT.

Basically soft factors like the ones you've mentioned are just enough to put you to "Start," but they won't move you ahead, even a little. The only "extracurriculars" that might help a little are substantial multi-year commitments like good work experience, Teach For America, Peace Corps, military service, etc. Being in a few clubs on campus won't do anything.

super6

Postby super6 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:51 pm

SBL wrote:
super6 wrote:

Only do extracurriculars that you find fun and personally fulfilling. Absolutely none of the things you've mentioned will help your application even the tiniest bit - however a resume with NO extracurricular involvement whatsoever will put you at a disadvantage relative to other applicants with your GPA and LSAT.

Basically soft factors like the ones you've mentioned are just enough to put you to "Start," but they won't move you ahead, even a little. The only "extracurriculars" that might help a little are substantial multi-year commitments like good work experience, Teach For America, Peace Corps, military service, etc. Being in a few clubs on campus won't do anything.

That makes sense.
As for the replier who said formal logic won't help me on the LSAT, I wouldn't doubt that, but I'm hoping to get an LOR from the professor which might carry more weight at the end of class than in the middle. At the end of the day it was my understanding that the LSAT is intended to be an indicator of logical ability.

rcweedman

Postby rcweedman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:14 pm

Formal logic definitely WILL help you on the LSAT but IMO, all you need to know about formal logic can be learned in the one chapter on formal logic in the Powerscore LR bible.
Your reasoning about the letter of recommendation is sound however if that professor drags his/her feet with completing the letter and sending it in, your applications won't go complete until....who knows? Maybe late January. At that point in the application cycle, you had better be a one-legged figure skater if you hope to get into your dream school.
Also, a letter of recommendation by a Philosophy/Logic professor is not impressive in and of itself. If you can get one of your previous professors to write you a quality letter pronto, I think you'd be much better off.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”