explination needed

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
northwood

explination needed

Postby northwood » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:37 pm

I have been out of UG for 9 years( MAAN i feel old). My first semester freshman year, I was in a room where there was drinking. no one was 21. we had to take an alcohol class, and pass the test. I did. I found the piece the letter from the dean of student affairs stating that i succesfully completed the class, and that upon graduation, the matter will be explunged from my file. It states that since the punishment is considered a resident life category ( therefore has no impact on academic matters- only if i were to remain welcome as an on campus resident- which I was) it will not be placed in my official file. Do I have to write an explination for this to the law schools, or not? I will call the school tomorrow to inquire about it/ or should i not even bother

thinkbig

Re: explination needed

Postby thinkbig » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:41 pm

northwood wrote:I have been out of UG for 9 years( MAAN i feel old). My first semester freshman year, I was in a room where there was drinking. no one was 21. we had to take an alcohol class, and pass the test. I did. I found the piece the letter from the dean of student affairs stating that i succesfully completed the class, and that upon graduation, the matter will be explunged from my file. It states that since the punishment is considered a resident life category ( therefore has no impact on academic matters- only if i were to remain welcome as an on campus resident- which I was) it will not be placed in my official file. Do I have to write an explination for this to the law schools, or not? I will call the school tomorrow to inquire about it/ or should i not even bother

If you are certain it is not on any permanent record, don't worry about it. But if you are at all uncertain, follow the old words of wisdom: When in doubt, disclose.

haydee

Postby haydee » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:45 pm

northwood wrote:I have been out of UG for 9 years( MAAN i feel old). My first semester freshman year, I was in a room where there was drinking. no one was 21. we had to take an alcohol class, and pass the test. I did. I found the piece the letter from the dean of student affairs stating that i succesfully completed the class, and that upon graduation, the matter will be explunged from my file. It states that since the punishment is considered a resident life category ( therefore has no impact on academic matters- only if i were to remain welcome as an on campus resident- which I was) it will not be placed in my official file. Do I have to write an explination for this to the law schools, or not? I will call the school tomorrow to inquire about it/ or should i not even bother

I would include it wherever it seems relevant. Some law school applications specifically ask you to disclose things that have been expunged. The general consensus here seems to be that adcomms don't care about underage alcohol-related offenses in terms of admission prospects (so many people have them, it's like a parking ticket), but if you don't mention the incident it could come up when you're applying for the bar and really mess up your life.

northwood

Re: explaination needed

Postby northwood » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:55 pm

so it wont ding me to have this on my record? should i just write something like:

my freshman year of ug.. i was caught drinking in the dorms. I had to take an alochol course, and pass the final exam. I did, and refrained from alcohol until my 21st birthday, and have not had any incidents with alcohol since.

Its been so long, i honestly forgot all about it. Since then, I havent been caught or charged with any crime, or questionable character traits. Would the bar really not let anyone sit for something as minor as this??

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:51 am

You need to disclose. Even if it's not academic, you were still disciplined by the UG (alcohol class). Some schools state that even expunged records should be disclosed.

LS wont care for an offense this minor so long ago. Just write an addendum with everything you can remember. Maybe you can state in the addendum that you dont have a record of the offense and it happened so long ago that you dont have all the details, but given them as much as you can.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:12 am

I just checked my undergraduate online, and now i am even more confused if i should disclose this. I was caught being in a dorm room that had alcohol in it. Here is the official school policy and sanctions.

Typical Alcohol / Drug Sanction(s)
Listed below are possible sanction(s) for those who violate the drug and alcohol policy. The sanctions listed may be used alone, or in combination, and additional sanctions not listed here may also be applied.

First Offense: The first alcohol or drug related offense would typically result in a Disciplinary Warning and a requirement to complete Alcohol.Edu, a computer based alcohol education program or complete DrugEdu, reflective essay regarding drug use. The student will be charged a fee to cover the cost of these programs.

I completed the alcohol.edu program. and paid the fee ( i think it was 20 bucks or less). No formal charges were brought up ( the police were not even called)

That was the gist of it. No other blemshes on my record. All library late fees paid before the end of the respective semester. My confusion lies in the fact that since the police werent called is it really necessary?

tas817

Postby tas817 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:31 am

From wat you have said I don't believe you need to disclose unless application has some specific language saying you need to. On application they differentiate between school offenses and criminal this would not be considered the latter. I would personally disclose b/c I cant imagine it haven any negative effect on application. It really is something minor and completely common. Man even adcomms had to have been a kid.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:55 am

Most applications state -
"Have you ever been on academic probation or subject to disciplinary action for scholastic or other reasons by any college... including records that have been expunged"

You had disciplinary action in the form of Alcohol.Edu and fee to cover the program. Yes you were warned, but you also had to do the course.

If you are really looking to get out of telling them about this, which it sounds like you are, that's up to you. Chances are, nothing will ever happen. But are you really willing to bet your bar entrance on it?
There is no reason not to disclose. They arent going to ding you for something they probably have seen hundreds of times before.

I'm in the same boat as you. I got in trouble for something in college, was lame. It's expunged from my record, to the point that when I call myself they have nothing on file for me. But as you might be able to guess, I'm disclosing, because I'd rather be safe than sorry.
When in doubt, disclose.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:45 am

ok thanks for the help: heres a rough draft of the addendum:

During my first semester freshman year, I was caught by my resident assistant being in a dorm room with alcohol present. As per the universities Zero Tolerance policy, as a first time offender I had to complete a computer based alcohol education program about the effects alcohol has on the body. I had to pay the fee of $20 for the course. I completed the course, learned from my mistake and ever since have not had any incidents similar to this.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:01 pm

I would do

During the first semester of my freshman year, I was caught by my resident assistant being in a dorm room with alcohol present. As per the university's Zero Tolerance policy, as a first time offender, I had to complete a computer-based alcohol education program. I completed the course, learned from my mistake, and have not had any incidents similar to this since then.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:20 pm

im adding to this because apparently we cannot make a new thread. I have to write an addendum for a speeding ticket. here is a rough draft:

On November 30, 2004 I was pulled over on the New York State Thruway for traveling at rate of 81 miles per hour in a 65 miles per hour zone. On January 19, 2005 I went to court and had the violation reduced to a parking ticket, and the violation was disposed.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:26 pm

My wife works in higher ed administration...in general these sort of things don't show up on your transcript until/unless you're removed from the university. So there's no way schools will see this. I actually had a similar event my freshman year, didn't even think to disclose it...it wasn't an issue. If you want extra assurance order a copy of your transcripts and see what's there.

etown989

Postby etown989 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:05 pm

11 replies for an underage drinking incident not even on your criminal record. I think OP is over thinking this.

Simple addendum... "Freshmen year (2001) I was caught with alcohol by my RA. I took a class and have no further incidents on my record."

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”