What's Up With Law Schools Lying? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justadude55

Silver

What's Up With Law Schools Lying?

Post by justadude55 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:55 pm

Last month, I asked Law School XXXXX for a fee waiver, and was told that it is their custom to not offer fee waivers. Today, I received an e-mail from the same person at the same law school stating they got my info from the CRS service, and are offering me a fee waiver.

Either their policy changed overnight or they lied to me. If it is the latter, I do not think it is very fair that we provide 100% honesty to the admission committees, and they do not provide us with the same respect in return, especially when we are the consumer.

Maybe I'm making too big of a thing out of it, but it is hard for me to trust how the law school advertises itself in other ways at this point. Point is, I won't be applying there. I won't list the school's name in interest of not damaging their reputation in anyway, but was wondering if other people think this is cool behavior.

haydee

New

Re: What's Up With Law Schools Lying?

Post by haydee » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:08 pm

Did they say they don't administer merit-based fee waivers upon request, or did they claim not to offer them at all to anyone ever? Lots (and lots) of schools don't honor individual requests for fee waivers, preferring instead to let their mysterious CRS database matrix decide who gets to apply for free and who doesn't. Was the language of the first e-mail vague enough to allow for this discrepancy?

FWIW, I'm not sure your "consumer is always right" approach to education is going to serve you very well. Law school is not your waitress; you can't threaten to take away its tip if you don't like the service.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:15 pm

haydee wrote:FWIW, I'm not sure your "consumer is always right" approach to education is going to serve you very well. Law school is not your waitress; you can't threaten to take away its tip if you don't like the service.
This isn't about taking away the tip (e.g. trying to take back money from an application or from the tuition bill), this is about not going to that restaurant anymore after a bad experience. Which he most certainly can do.

I see no problem with the approach. If a business makes you uncomfortable, then don't give that business money. In what way will it not serve him well?

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:19 pm

law schools are like that hip restaurant with a 2 hour wait time and snobby hosts who couldn't care less if you don't patron them because the line goes around the block.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:20 pm

haydee wrote:Did they say they don't administer merit-based fee waivers upon request, or did they claim not to offer them at all to anyone ever? Lots (and lots) of schools don't honor individual requests for fee waivers, preferring instead to let their mysterious CRS database matrix decide who gets to apply for free and who doesn't. Was the language of the first e-mail vague enough to allow for this discrepancy?

FWIW, I'm not sure your "consumer is always right" approach to education is going to serve you very well. Law school is not your waitress; you can't threaten to take away its tip if you don't like the service.
yeah that is what their initial response said exactly. it said, they only offer to financial need or people they approach via CRS. i just skimmed over the no fee waiver offer initially, but reread it now. my bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:25 pm

Law schools have been lying for years about the career prospects of their graduates, and it's fee waivers that make you mad?

hijodehombre

Bronze

Post by hijodehombre » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:26 pm

Renzo wrote:Law schools have been lying for years about the career prospects of their graduates, and it's fee waivers that make you mad?
+1

What's up with law school applicants expecting law schools to be honest?

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:28 pm

Renzo wrote:Law schools have been lying for years about the career prospects of their graduates, and it's fee waivers that make you mad?
i don't believe the bottom of tier 4 consciously lies about career prospects. i believe all these law schools think they're better in the field than they are. wouldn't you if you were them? this is your life. you can't think your company hurts your clientele, and stay sane if you're a decent person. this seemed like conscious lying, but i was negligent and didn't read carefully a lot so they did NOT lie.

plus on career pospects, everyone knows the surveys are based around who responds, and if you're living in a cardboard box, how are you gonna even know about the survey?

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:30 pm

This life from the law school is the one you should be LEAST worried about.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

haydee

New

Post by haydee » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:30 pm

Bumi wrote:
haydee wrote:FWIW, I'm not sure your "consumer is always right" approach to education is going to serve you very well. Law school is not your waitress; you can't threaten to take away its tip if you don't like the service.
This isn't about taking away the tip (e.g. trying to take back money from an application or from the tuition bill), this is about not going to that restaurant anymore after a bad experience. Which he most certainly can do.

I see no problem with the approach. If a business makes you uncomfortable, then don't give that business money. In what way will it not serve him well?
What I mean is, higher education in general is not a service industry a la hotels or restaurants. I would be wary of expecting the same kind of deference from law school administration that one expects from a retail clerk. Wheter it's fair or not, students (or potential students) are not "customers" in the same way, and shouldn't assume they'll be able to pull the same strings.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:41 pm

way to stay on point, Ms. 180.

haydee

New

Post by haydee » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:52 pm

justadude55 wrote:way to stay on point, Ms. 180.
Yeah, thanks. Let me know if you need some reading comp pointers.

(Note: Response based on the assumption that you are being snarky.)

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:53 pm

haydee wrote:
justadude55 wrote:way to stay on point, Ms. 180.
Yeah, thanks. Let me know if you need some reading comp pointers.

(Note: Response based on the assumption that you are being snarky.)
i am always snarky, but i'd love them if you really got a 180.

i'll pay top $ for them too.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”