Should I apply early?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
catsparka

Should I apply early?

Postby catsparka » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:01 pm

Hi guys! I'm new here, and would like some advice.

My GPA is 3.95 from an Ivy undergrad, and I haven't taken the LSAT yet (will in October!) but most of my practice tests have been in the mid-high 170s range. I don't have that much work experience-- a few teaching/tutoring gigs and one summer internship at a big management consulting company.

I think Michigan is by far my top choice, so I'm tempted to apply ED, but I'm not so sure of its advantages, since I keep hearing mixed opinions.

Will applying early hurt my chances of receiving merit aid? I'd really like to be considered for a Darrow, but does anyone know if ED-ers have a chance at getting one?

Thanks so much! :)

xyzzzzzzzz

Re: Should I apply early?

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:32 pm

I would really wait until you have an actual score before considering ED. A couple points (above or below practice test scores) can make a significant difference.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:52 pm

catsparka wrote:Hi guys! I'm new here, and would like some advice.

My GPA is 3.95 from an Ivy undergrad, and I haven't taken the LSAT yet (will in October!) but most of my practice tests have been in the mid-high 170s range. I don't have that much work experience-- a few teaching/tutoring gigs and one summer internship at a big management consulting company.

I think Michigan is by far my top choice, so I'm tempted to apply ED, but I'm not so sure of its advantages, since I keep hearing mixed opinions.

Will applying early hurt my chances of receiving merit aid? I'd really like to be considered for a Darrow, but does anyone know if ED-ers have a chance at getting one?

Thanks so much! :)

Wait until you have a score. I've heard of people PTing in the mid-high 170s getting as low as 159 and as high as 180 on the real thing. Figure it out after you have a score.
BUt if you do get in the mid-170s (say 174-176) you'd have a great shot at Michigan with your gpa without EDing. You'd have a shot at any school with that GPA and LSAT

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:53 pm

Applying binding early decision always hurts your chances of aid (notable exception: GW).

That being said: Keep studying, take the test, get your score, and then come back for advice.

Good luck on the exam.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”