LOR advice?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bostonlawchick

LOR advice?

Postby bostonlawchick » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:57 pm

I'm freaking out about getting LORs. I've never had to ask for one in my life, so I feel really uncomfortable doing so. I have one professor that I'm going to ask because I've talked with him a few times outside of class about the LSAT and law school. I'm really stuck on who to ask for the second one. I haven't talked to any other professors outside of class, and I'm pretty quiet in class. I'm not sure any professors will even remember me from last semester. Should I ask one that I'm currently taking a class with? We've only been in school for a week now, I'd like to get my apps in early so I'm not sure how much they could possibly get to know me in a few weeks.

I feel lost here and this is really stressing me out. I have everything else ready to go, this is all that's holding me back from submitting everywhere.

xyzzzzzzzz

Re: LOR advice?

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:06 pm

This is not the best advice and I'm only offering it to you because of your situation. DISCLAIMER: Other people should not follow this. Only do so if you are in the same exact position as the op.

Ask a professor who you had for a class that you did well in. Try and find someone who will at least recognize your face. Then give the prof the following: your transcript - highlight the class you took with him, a working draft of your ps, a resume, and the form for lsac. Your letter will probably sound like a form letter but at this point having a lor that sounds like a form letter is better than not having the required number of letters. Hopefully the prof you pick will be nice and you can talk to him about stuff - the class you had and the law school process. Good luck.

edit: don't pick a prof you have now, unless you had him/her before. He won't be able to comment on your ability as a student as it is like week 3 of the semester.
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:07 pm

Don't ask a professor from this semester if you did not take a class with them in the past. If you are applying this year, you should get that second LOR as soon as possible. Ask a professor from last year. Someone who talked a lot in class or went to office hours may be able to get a stellar LOR, but you can still get a good LOR without it. Pick a class you did well in, and just stop by the professor's office hours and ask. Be prepared to give him/her copies of papers you did for the class, your resume, and personal statement. Don't feel guilty about asking - this is part of a job and not a big deal to them. If someone does say no, just ask someone else. I was stressed about asking to, but the worst thing that can happen is that you have a few momments of awkwardness, and then you never see this person again.

wjun15

Postby wjun15 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:52 am

does it matter if it is a professor or just a teacher? i have one recommendation from a professor and the other a teacher that was a grad student but I did really well in that class...does it really matter professor vs teacher?

i also have one from work...

Postby 2014 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:03 am

There are quotes on admissions blogs that say they care more about having someone who can attest to your quality of work and contribution to the classroom than title. That being said, it would always be preferred to have some sort of a professor, but I think a TA would be suitable.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”