LSAC grade questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gbpackerbacker

LSAC grade questions

Postby gbpackerbacker » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Once I have submitted my grades to LSAC (106ish/120 hrs) will I need to submit another transcript once I graduate?

Also, I know that LSAC wants all my undergrad transcripts, does that even include those from study abroad programs?

I have one coming in from an international program where I surely made a C, but the language department here wants to give me an A for it (I volunteered to do a higher language level than recommended). If they send it in with a grade of C, but the department head gives me an A, what will my grade be? I'm also going to discuss this with my school. Thanks.

cinephile

Re: LSAC grade questions

Postby cinephile » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:19 pm

Did you spend more than one year in this international program? My understanding is that if it is equivalent to one year or less of work, it's not necessary to send in a transcript from study abroad.

hefox

Postby hefox » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:20 pm

i did a summer abroad. i had to submit a transcript for it.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:24 pm

Also, international program grades often have equivalent grades in the US. I received a 13/20 from a French University, which is a D to them, but it is an A- to us. (They also consider it to be a pretty good grade, despite the D) It just depends on the grading philosophy in different countries and how your UG chooses to interpret them. If you were there less than a year and the grades are on your UG transcript (which it seems like they are), go with what your UG says, as they are the one giving you your degree anyway.

hefox wrote:i did a summer abroad. i had to submit a transcript for it.

You don't have to if the grades from it show up on your UG transcript, and you receive credit for them.

hefox

Postby hefox » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:27 pm

the grades showed up on my UG transcript. I still needed an official transcript sent from the school. your best bet is to look on the LSAC website or call them, they would be better to ask then us

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:36 pm

International Transcripts

* Transcripts must be sent if your degree was received from an institution located outside the United States, its territories, or Canada, and you are applying to a Credential Assembly Service-requiring law school that also requires the authentication and evaluation feature.

* Do not have a transcript sent from an international institution if your bachelor's degree is from a US, US territory, or Canadian school, AND:
[*] the total amount of work you completed at all international institutions combined is equal to or less than the equivalent of one year of undergraduate study in the United States, its territories, or Canada, OR
[*] your work was completed through an overseas study program that was clearly sponsored by a US, US territory, or Canadian school.

http://lsac.org/JD/Apply/international-transcripts.asp

hefox

Postby hefox » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:41 pm

the international program i did wasn't through my UG. it was through another american UG. that was the transcript i had to send in. But, if you have questions about you application, ask the adcomm ppl, thats what theyre there for

Postby 2014 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:05 pm

To answer your first question, no you don't have to resubmit as far as I can tell, but if it is to your benefit you can. Schools are going to be fundamentally making decisions based on your grades to this point, and if your grades go down and they admit you regardless, they might appreciate it if you did not update LSAC so they could report the higher number.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”