Letter of rec candidate question.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Steven Perry

Letter of rec candidate question.

Postby Steven Perry » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:24 pm

I was having a discussion with a professor of mine about some of my ideas for people to write my letters. I mentioned that I have a cousin who is a district judge in my hometown and I was thinking about having him write one of my letters. My professor told me that it's usually best to have professors, but he wasn't sure how law schools would view a judge. I'm planning on shadowing my cousin for most of the summer (running his errands, doing low level paperwork, being his slave, ect) so he could write a well-detailed letter.

Would he be an acceptable candidate or would law schools frown on 1) having a nonacademic writing one of my letters and 2) receiving one from a family member?

1Levening2013

Re: Letter of rec candidate question.

Postby 1Levening2013 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:33 pm

both

you need two from professors, and i i'd say one from a boss if you have real work experience

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:15 pm

If the judge wasn't your cousin and you were doing research/clerical work for him, that could be good but since he is your cousin and your work for him is not of meaningful academic/clerical nature, I'd say you'll be better off with an academic LOR instead.

oshberg28

Postby oshberg28 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:22 pm

I've read interviews of law school deans who say they do not want a letter from a family member...I would assume this also applies even if the family member is in the legal field.

wjun15

Postby wjun15 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:58 am

does it have to be professor? i have one from a professor and one from a teacher who taught a class as a grad student. is that ok?

i also have one from work

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:52 pm

It doesn't HAVE to be a professor as long as he has worked with you directly and can attest to your academic capabilities. All else equal I think a professor would be better but an enthusiastic recommendation from a lecturer beats a lukewarm rec from a professor.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”