Any advantage in admission by attending law school forums? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
spece212

New

Any advantage in admission by attending law school forums?

Post by spece212 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:18 pm

I am located out of India and therefore don't have the possibility of visiting the school to find out more information or present myself as a potential candidate :-(

Fortunately, reps from Vandy are visiting India on a recruitment road trip as a part of a larger group of univesities. I am just wondering that does attending these forums and interacting closely with University reps make any positive difference on your admissions prospects?

If yes, how should one approach such forums in terms of preparation?

I have a choice between spending 4 hours on LSAT prep (to improve upon my previous score of 160) or attending a forum where Vandy folks are going to be present.

Any advice from the experts on this forum!!

hijodehombre

Bronze

Re: Any advantage in admission by attending law school forums?

Post by hijodehombre » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:21 pm

spece212 wrote:I am located out of India and therefore don't have the possibility of visiting the school to find out more information or present myself as a potential candidate :-(

Fortunately, reps from Vandy are visiting India on a recruitment road trip as a part of a larger group of univesities. I am just wondering that does attending these forums and interacting closely with University reps make any positive difference on your admissions prospects?

I have a choice between spending 4 hours on LSAT prep (to improve upon my previous score of 160) or attending a forum where Vandy folks are going to be present.

I'm not an expert, but I seriously doubt there's any kind of bump from attending a forum. I'm in the States and I don't plan to attend the forum in my area.

Pizon

Bronze

Post by Pizon » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:26 pm

hijodehombre wrote:
spece212 wrote:I am located out of India and therefore don't have the possibility of visiting the school to find out more information or present myself as a potential candidate :-(

I'm not an expert, but I seriously doubt there's any kind of bump from attending a forum. I'm in the States and I don't plan to attend the forum in my area.
Then again, it couldn't hurt. I don't see it as a choice between attending and studying. I doubt you're spending every waking moment studying -- and if you are, you're studying too much.

spece212

New

Post by spece212 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Not spending every waking moment studying but definitely trying to stay gainfully employed at my workplace as well :-) So time is at a premium !!

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:32 pm

You get the added benefit of talking directly with adcomms about your specific situation, GPA and LSAT. THey can give you advice about what you need to do with your app, but you will n ot get any boost besides maybe your app being stronger by learning what they are looking for.

The only reason I'm attending a forum next week is the potential for fee waivers after talking to certain schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

am588

New

Post by am588 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:58 pm

I plan on going because I'm going to be relocating across the country for school, and maybe I can get a better feel for the programs by talking with them.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:13 pm

If there is an advantage...it's pretty much negligible.

Unless you are an extremely ravishingly hot female who will sleep with the adcomms. This might help.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:19 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:If there is an advantage...it's pretty much negligible.

Unless you are an extremely ravishingly hot female who will sleep with the adcomms. This might help.
Even then, the majority of adcomms are women.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:20 pm

CastleRock wrote:

Even then, the majority of adcomms are women.
How do you know what they're in to? :P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:31 pm

I'd say, maybe if you were wait-listed.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:35 pm

Is that a self-tar? If so, maybe you should go!

But serious answer to the OP: I highly, highly doubt it. Even campus visits seem to be of little impact unless you just rock the socks off of someone. It is very rare.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”