Has my 'undergraduate ... course of study been interrupted'?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cigrainger

Has my 'undergraduate ... course of study been interrupted'?

Postby cigrainger » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:21 pm

Just asking for some clarification here. Several applications ask if your 'undergraduate or graduate course of study [has] been interrupted for one or more terms for any reason' and require an addendum if you tick 'yes'. I had a serious and debilitating illness in my first year of university but I mostly powered through. I had to take all my exams from first year in the summer following first year to progress to second year. This doesn't show up on my transcript or anything. Should I tick the box and submit the addendum? Or does this not count as interruption?

cinephile

Re: Has my 'undergraduate ... course of study been interrupted'?

Postby cinephile » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:31 pm

I would be interested in the answer to this question as well. I took a couple incompletes one semester that were later changed to regular grades -- and there is no notation on the transcript of the incompletes.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:46 pm

I'm pretty sure it's referring to taking a semester or two off from school. If you withdrew in the Spring of 2005, and then returned to school in the spring of 2006, that would count. I think that's what it's talking about.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:51 pm

Marionberry wrote:I'm pretty sure it's referring to taking a semester or two off from school. If you withdrew in the Spring of 2005, and then returned to school in the spring of 2006, that would count. I think that's what it's talking about.

+1

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:52 pm

Some applications are more explicitly stating "interruptions of one semester or more". I take it to mean if you didn't enroll in a semester or more for all schools. I took a 8-9 year break so it's pretty obvious for me lol.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:42 pm

cigrainger wrote:Just asking for some clarification here. Several applications ask if your 'undergraduate or graduate course of study [has] been interrupted for one or more terms for any reason' and require an addendum if you tick 'yes'. I had a serious and debilitating illness in my first year of university but I mostly powered through. I had to take all my exams from first year in the summer following first year to progress to second year. This doesn't show up on my transcript or anything. Should I tick the box and submit the addendum? Or does this not count as interruption?

I would put NO as the answer to that question under your circumstances. But you can submit an addendum anyways if you feel you want to explain something about your grades that year etc.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:06 pm

No to question. Work the story into your PS or DS.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”