$25 an hour for NYC attorneys

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
General Tso

Re: $25 an hour for NYC attorneys

Postby General Tso » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:37 pm

Marionberry wrote:
scribblehead wrote:The future looks bright!

--LinkRemoved--

JeanMarie, is that you?

it is Scott Bullock, actually

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:37 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:The median pay rate in the US for someone with a bachelor's degree is about $21.50, and $25 for master's degree (these are total population over 25YO, so starting salary is probably severely less). So $25/hr isn't too horrible for a below median law grad at a below median school.

God I wish I could make 21 bucks an hour with my degree.

The stats I see lumps all bachelor's degrees. I suppose science/engineering degrees are a lot higher than BA's in LA categories. Also I don't know if the stats include the unemployed, or the ones not seeking work. But know that you have the potential to make $21 at median.

That really is a shame, I know most starting salaries for a CS grad at my school (if they can land a job) are even a little higher than that, and I know there are a lot of you who are capable and competent at whatever work may throw at you.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:01 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:The median pay rate in the US for someone with a bachelor's degree is about $21.50, and $25 for master's degree (these are total population over 25YO, so starting salary is probably severely less). So $25/hr isn't too horrible for a below median law grad at a below median school.

what's your degree in?

you could make as much $ as you want. every wo(man) is their own company.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:48 am

reasonable_man wrote:
disco_barred wrote:It's sort of sad 0Ls on TLS don't realize how much of an 'underclass' of contract/staff attorneys exist out there. It's also sort of sad that the profession is set up that way.

Its not so much as an under-class as an "untouchable" class. Contract attorneys are generally treated worse than slaves and viewed by other attorneys as sub-human losers. I spoke with a girl at a bar who was dating a contract attorney and I couldn't help but judge her. Its just how it is.

Sad part is that even this line of work is scarce and highly sought after in the current economic climate. I'm somewhat shielded from the market chaos right now because im a junior associate with about 2years experience which makes me fairly profitable. People just coming out of school right now are begging for any kind of work, no matter how pathetic said work might be.

Yeah, it's amazing how many contract attorney types you meet if you hang around NYC for a while. It's seriously depressing. Even talking to people at the bar exam was pretty bad- few of the people there seemed to have any idea what they were up against.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:52 am

nealric wrote:Yeah, it's amazing how many contract attorney types you meet if you hang around NYC for a while. It's seriously depressing. Even talking to people at the bar exam was pretty bad- few of the people there seemed to have any idea what they were up against.

I was at Nerd Night in NYC and this guy gave an interesting IP lecture and when I talked to him, I found out that he was an attorney who had passed the bar and was doing basement document review for 50 hours a week for $23.50/hr and running trivia nights to supplement his income. He said he made more money doing trivia.

Postby 270910 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:56 am

paratactical wrote:
nealric wrote:Yeah, it's amazing how many contract attorney types you meet if you hang around NYC for a while. It's seriously depressing. Even talking to people at the bar exam was pretty bad- few of the people there seemed to have any idea what they were up against.

I was at Nerd Night in NYC and this guy gave an interesting IP lecture and when I talked to him, I found out that he was an attorney who had passed the bar and was doing basement document review for 50 hours a week for $23.50/hr and running trivia nights to supplement his income. He said he made more money doing trivia.

Hell, if he enjoys his life... I think what bothers me the most is how streamlined the legal profession makes itself in terms of goals. You'd better want X, Y, and Z - and if the fact that they're hard to get and everybody else wants them isn't a good enough reason, well son, this profession isn't for everyone.

Which isn't to say that being a contract attorney is actually a desirable thing or a good structure, I don't know... this whole profession just makes me uncomfortable more often than not :P

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:31 pm

I think in the past there were people who were genuinely OK with the contract attorney path. It used to pay $40-$50 an hour with a meal allowance and free car service home. You could work part of the year, travel the world, and still make enough to support yourself (Even if the work itself was boring).

Unfortunately, the rates have plummeted, the perks are gone, and the gigs are hard to get. It doesn't help that contract attorneys get stigmatized and disrespected.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:33 pm

nealric wrote:I think in the past there were people who were genuinely OK with the contract attorney path. It used to pay $40-$50 an hour with a meal allowance and free car service home. You could work part of the year, travel the world, and still make enough to support yourself (Even if the work itself was boring).

Unfortunately, the rates have plummeted, the perks are gone, and the gigs are hard to get. It doesn't help that contract attorneys get stigmatized and disrespected.

The thing that the contract attorneys I know have complained the most about is that they never get to work in rooms with windows.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:18 pm

paratactical wrote:
nealric wrote:I think in the past there were people who were genuinely OK with the contract attorney path. It used to pay $40-$50 an hour with a meal allowance and free car service home. You could work part of the year, travel the world, and still make enough to support yourself (Even if the work itself was boring).

The thing that the contract attorneys I know have complained the most about is that they never get to work in rooms with windows.

If Tom the temp is to be believed, it seems they often are forced to work in dank basement rooms. But it makes sense in NY- offices with windows are a high priority. Even full junior associates usually have to share offices. Full-time paralegals usually only get interior (windowless) offices. To be fair, many DOJ attorneys get pretty depressing windowless offices.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:39 pm

The view from my office.... Not bad for a 2nd year TTT grad... :D

--ImageRemoved--

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:13 pm

is that Alkatraz in the distance?

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:14 pm

General Tso wrote:is that Alkatraz in the distance?

It looks like ellis island. Liberty Island is to the left.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:15 pm

CastleRock wrote:
General Tso wrote:is that Alkatraz in the distance?

It looks like ellis island. Liberty Island is to the left.

o

is that the Coliseum at the bottom?

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:56 pm

SilverE2 wrote:

This. A quick few thousand bucks while looking for a job? Yes please.

nealric

Postby nealric » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:29 am

reasonable_man wrote:The view from my office.... Not bad for a 2nd year TTT grad... :D

--ImageRemoved--

I see your Ellis Island and raise you a Brooklyn bridge:

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:32 am

Very nice... The building in front of 200 water? Standard & Poors building? Keep in mind... it only counts if its your personal window ;) Cause I mean if we're looking for just the best photo... I'm going to have to break into a partners office and take a picture later lol

nealric

Postby nealric » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:48 am

reasonable_man wrote:Very nice... The building in front of 200 water? Standard & Poors building? Keep in mind... it only counts if its your personal window ;) Cause I mean if we're looking for just the best photo... I'm going to have to break into a partners office and take a picture later lol

It's the big green glass building on maiden Ln. To be fair, I don't start until January. However, all the windows in the department face that direction- so it will be my view :mrgreen:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”