Question about dropped classes on transcripts

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
High_Hopes

Question about dropped classes on transcripts

Postby High_Hopes » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:14 pm

Okay, well basically last year I dropped a 1 credit class 3 weeks into the semester because I was having schedule conflicts because the time just did not work out for me. So now I have a W on my transcript (W = dropped a class).

Fast forward this semester I ordered a used book from Amazon and it said it'd take 2 weeks to deliver and come week 2 it says it will still be another month. In those 2 weeks we read the entire book so now my question is should I just drop the class and retake it next semester and take the W? How will law schools view me having these W's on my transcripts?

Help appreciated.
Last edited by High_Hopes on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hannibal

Re: Question about dropped classes on transcripts

Postby Hannibal » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:15 pm

W is fine so long as it's not punitive.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:53 pm

yeah i wouldn't worry about 1 or 2 W's. When you start hitting 4 or 5, it might start to look bad. But really a high gpa with a few W's isn't bad.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:54 pm

I have probably 15 Ws on my record. Srsly. I have medical problems which have caused them, but I just attached an addendum.

mst

Postby mst » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:09 am

And as far as your LSAC GPA is concerned (the one that matters), as long as the W is considered non-punitive at your school, it will not penalize you. But yeah, people go into the process with 1 or 2 W's along the way all the time. I would just be careful and consider how likely it is you might need to W at another time over the upcoming years, because yes they will SEE your transcripts and things will look fishy if it becomes a trend...

High_Hopes

Postby High_Hopes » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:42 pm

thanks for the help guise

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:15 pm

mst wrote:And as far as your LSAC GPA is concerned (the one that matters), as long as the W is considered non-punitive at your school, it will not penalize you. But yeah, people go into the process with 1 or 2 W's along the way all the time. I would just be careful and consider how likely it is you might need to W at another time over the upcoming years, because yes they will SEE your transcripts and things will look fishy if it becomes a trend...

Not to steal the OP's thread here, but do you know how it looks when you have linked Ws? Like if you were taking a Chemistry course that required lab+recitation...if you dropped them you would have 3 W's. Would that look more negative because of how many there are? Or because they are linked should it not matter?

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:24 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:
mst wrote:And as far as your LSAC GPA is concerned (the one that matters), as long as the W is considered non-punitive at your school, it will not penalize you. But yeah, people go into the process with 1 or 2 W's along the way all the time. I would just be careful and consider how likely it is you might need to W at another time over the upcoming years, because yes they will SEE your transcripts and things will look fishy if it becomes a trend...

Not to steal the OP's thread here, but do you know how it looks when you have linked Ws? Like if you were taking a Chemistry course that required lab+recitation...if you dropped them you would have 3 W's. Would that look more negative because of how many there are? Or because they are linked should it not matter?

You should look at what you are actually registered for. If you registered for the lab and the class separately then depending on how your school classifies it, it could be one w or two. IMO, it is probably the total units you would be withdrawn from. Ex. 4 credit science class with lab would be one W at my school with the loss of those 4 credits.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:42 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:

You should look at what you are actually registered for. If you registered for the lab and the class separately then depending on how your school classifies it, it could be one w or two. IMO, it is probably the total units you would be withdrawn from. Ex. 4 credit science class with lab would be one W at my school with the loss of those 4 credits.

I know what I registered for. We have to register for three different course numbers 110, 111, and 112 (as an example)...so I got 3 Ws for that...but obviously the courses are all linked. You, for example, cannot take 110 without taking 112 (or at least not and pass).

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:57 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:
xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:

I know what I registered for. We have to register for three different course numbers 110, 111, and 112 (as an example)...so I got 3 Ws for that...but obviously the courses are all linked. You, for example, cannot take 110 without taking 112 (or at least not and pass).

wow, that's a raw deal. I don't say this much, but that blows.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”