Im really attracted to Cordozo...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JD=Doctor

Im really attracted to Cordozo...

Postby JD=Doctor » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:03 am

I have a 165/3.6 from UCLA

After speaking to 2 friends of mine who went to ucla for UG (One is in his 1L the other 2L) they both had nothing but great things to say about most aspects of the school including the curriculum.
Its location is great as well and i'v lived in LA my entire life and would really enjoy the chance of spending a few of my years in NY.
My one fear is the job market after graduation. All the website that give statistics make it sound pretty good contrary to what i have been hearing

Recommendations of where to go (i dont mind living in NY for a few years after graduation but would like to eventually come back to LA)

will be applying to:
UCLA (ED)
USC
BOALT
HASTINGS
Loyola LA
Pepperdine
UC Irvine
Cordozo

Less likely but will apply anyways:
Fordham
GW
and a few others in the middle (to hopefully get $$ to then ask $$ from other schools)

sundance95

Re: Im really attracted to Cordozo...

Postby sundance95 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:05 am

--ImageRemoved--

Retake.

Edit: Cordozo?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:13 am

statistics are generally reflective of about 25% of the class. there is absolutely no reason to spoil a 165/3.6 on "cordozo". if you don't get into Fordham you should give up on NYC. If you want to stay in CA the smartest route is to take big scholarship money at USD, Loyola, Pepperdine. Hastings and Davis will only charge you top $$ for the same job prospects.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:18 am

I posted tongue in cheek before, but in all seriousness, if you can pull a 165 and a 3.6 from UCLA, then you can raise your LSAT score four or five points and get yourself in at a school with much, much better job prospects. Like, say, UCLA.

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:22 am

General Tso wrote:statistics are generally reflective of about 25% of the class. there is absolutely no reason to spoil a 165/3.6 on "cordozo". if you don't get into Fordham you should give up on NYC. If you want to stay in CA the smartest route is to take big scholarship money at USD, Loyola, Pepperdine. Hastings and Davis will only charge you top $$ for the same job prospects.

Doesn't Hastings still have a pretty good rep in Cali? Would a $$ at Loyola, USD, and Pepp really be better? Not being sarcastic, just thought old timers in CA thought pretty highly of Hastings as it was ranked pretty high in the 90s. lol that last sentence sounds pretty funny when I read it through a second time, meh i'm leaving it. :lol:

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:28 am

I have a 3L friend at Hastings who says it's been murderous in terms of finding employment over there. ITE has hit them hard, what with plenty of Stanford and Boalties who see no need to leave the Bay Area sucking up many of the jobs.

JD=Doctor

Postby JD=Doctor » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:49 am

sundance95 wrote:I posted tongue in cheek before, but in all seriousness, if you can pull a 165 and a 3.6 from UCLA, then you can raise your LSAT score four or five points and get yourself in at a school with much, much better job prospects. Like, say, UCLA.

I avg
-7 LR
-8RC
-1 (random error) LG

if i have a good RC day (-6) i have a bad LR day (-9) or LG (-3) 164-166 .. i'v been taking alot of RCs the few weeks to try to find a method that works for me.. still going at it (while continuing with Games and LRs)
Will be taking a Diag (for the 2nd time since my June test) in the next 2 days hopefully it will break the 168 barrier.

JD=Doctor

Postby JD=Doctor » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:54 am

General Tso wrote:statistics are generally reflective of about 25% of the class. there is absolutely no reason to spoil a 165/3.6 on "cordozo". if you don't get into Fordham you should give up on NYC. If you want to stay in CA the smartest route is to take big scholarship money at USD, Loyola, Pepperdine. Hastings and Davis will only charge you top $$ for the same job prospects.

Ya i probably would not matriculate to hastings or davis.

That is why i will be giving myself the best shot at ucla (if my score does not approve) by EDing to UCLA ...hopefully i can get waitlisted at USC - if i get my foot through the door that will be all i need for the moment.

Do you feel UCLA/USC - Sticker- > >> Loyola/Pepperdine$$$ ???

is cordozo $$ really that bad an option?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:07 am

JD=Doctor wrote:That is why i will be giving myself the best shot at ucla (if my score does not approve) by EDing to UCLA ...hopefully i can get waitlisted at USC - if i get my foot through the door that will be all i need for the moment.

You have no shot at even a WL at UCLA with that score, even should you ED.

http://ucla.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/?whichCycle=1011

There have been WL-> Ins at that score range at USC, but you'd be *right* on the edge.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/k77/jd
http://usc.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/?whichCycle=1011

JD=Doctor wrote:Do you feel UCLA/USC - Sticker- > >> Loyola/Pepperdine$$$ ???

Generally, I do (especially in the case of UCLA), but I'm a bit of a prestige whore and others have made compelling cases for taking the $. I understand that Loyola is uncommonly strong in its region for a T2, and I'd say good $ there would trump SC at sticker. Others more familiar with the LA market can speak better to this than I can.

JD=Doctor wrote:is cordozo $$ really that bad an option?

CARdozo should not be an option. Really. Especially since you want to be in LA long term. Trust me-everyone in LA thinks they want to 'spend a few years in New York.' Generally speaking, they actually don't. For example, are you aware that it precipitates FROZEN WATER there in wintertime?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:30 am

UCLA (ED) - zero chance
USC - zero chance
BOALT - zero chance
HASTINGS - in
Loyola LA - in
Pepperdine - in
UC Irvine - out
Cardozo - in
Fordham - out (some chance with PT)
GW - out (some chance with PT)

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:45 am

Y'all are harsh. Don't soft factors count for anything anymore? Maybe an ED and good softs can just barely push OP over the edge at USC.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:08 am

nematoad wrote:

Doesn't Hastings still have a pretty good rep in Cali? Would a $$ at Loyola, USD, and Pepp really be better? Not being sarcastic, just thought old timers in CA thought pretty highly of Hastings as it was ranked pretty high in the 90s. lol that last sentence sounds pretty funny when I read it through a second time, meh i'm leaving it. :lol:

I think a lot of people still pay lip service to Hastings as if it is better than it really is. My summer boss called it the "Georgetown of the west coast". But it (and Davis too) DOES play second fiddle to Boalt and Stanford. Most of the firms at OCI this year seem to be making offers to Boalt students first, and Hastings/Davis people are backups. Of course not many of these desirable jobs will be falling through the cracks...

I chose Hastings over big money at Loyola and USD. I like the school, the profs, and everything, but I am not sure I'd make the same choice if I were choosing today. Especially not with tuition going over 40k next year. It is still a good school, but the costs most likely do not exceed the benefits. Many Hastings people seem to think they will get the kinds of 80-110k jobs that an above median Hastings student would have gotten 5 years ago, but as for me, I have resigned myself to something on the order of 60-75k. If I can't get that then this investment will have been a poor one.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:10 am

I feel that USC/UCLA at sticker are better than full rides at Loyola/P/USD, but OP is unlikely to get into either with 3.6/165

neonx

Postby neonx » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:20 pm

According to the Predictor (which is by no means full-proof), you have a 34% chance at UCLA with your numbers (A "weak consider"). Don't let the above posters discourage you. Good-luck.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:23 pm

--ImageRemoved--
I guess if you're into the stuffy Conan O'Brien type.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:24 pm

I lol'd

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:29 pm

I'm pretty sure OP would WL -> In at Fordham if he wanted to pay sticker.

JeanMarie

Postby JeanMarie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:57 pm

Cardozo is a wreck for post-graduation employment. It's way worse than even the school I went to.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:05 pm

JeanMarie wrote:Cardozo is a wreck for post-graduation employment. It's way worse than even the school I went to.

Your obstinate refusal to give away your personal info would be mildly amusing if you weren't so dumb.

JeanMarie

Postby JeanMarie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:06 pm

bk1 wrote:
JeanMarie wrote:Cardozo is a wreck for post-graduation employment. It's way worse than even the school I went to.

Your obstinate refusal to give away your personal info would be mildly amusing if you weren't so dumb.

I gave all my personal info. You can ask VanWinkle, JohnnyUtah, Sophie, and the many more who had the courtesy to ask me for it.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:07 pm

JeanMarie wrote:I gave all my personal info. You can ask VanWinkle, JohnnyUtah, Sophie, and the many more who had the courtesy to ask me for it.

I should have been more clear. I meant specifically to posting it openly in the thread you started.

JD=Doctor

Postby JD=Doctor » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:06 pm

neonx wrote:According to the Predictor (which is by no means full-proof), you have a 34% chance at UCLA with your numbers (A "weak consider"). Don't let the above posters discourage you. Good-luck.

i went on Lawschoolpredictions.com and an ED to ucla takes me from weak consider to "consider"

Alright boys and girls back to prepping for the october test! Thanks for the input

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:13 pm

JeanMarie wrote:I gave all my personal info. You can ask VanWinkle, JohnnyUtah, Sophie, and the many more who had the courtesy to ask me for it.

To note, I had the courtesy to ask for it repeatedly in the thread you started, and you never provided it. So, if you ask me, no, she did not give all her personal info, not even the info relevant to her own thread.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”