LSAT question, I know it's the wrong forum. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
paulshortys10

Silver

LSAT question, I know it's the wrong forum.

Post by paulshortys10 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:22 am

Yo i was all set to take my LSAT in OCT, but I don't feel like i will score as high as i want to, especially knowing if i have 2 more months to practice. Just want to know from the perspective of the people in this forum, how bad of a decision is this?. I have a 3.5, am a URM, and Am shooting for a couple top 20 schools(UCLA, USC, Cornell, GeorgeT) and mostly top 50.

My Pros-
I KNOW with practice I will score higher(DUH), but i'm barely starting to grasp it all (Highest score 165, Avg 163).
I will find a job soon and I can add that to my Apps, also more volunteering time
More time to apply, more time to make my apps perfect.

Cons-
OBviously the fact i'm applying late lowers my chances. Just wondering HOW MUCH exactly it lowers them. ANy input into this. This could also mean less money received.
Also 2 more months of stress, I was hoping to get the lsat over with, but i'd rather do good in it.

What would you guys choose if you were in my situation?

sundance95

Gold

Re: LSAT question, I know it's the wrong forum.

Post by sundance95 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:26 am

If you knew it was the wrong forum, why not post in the correct one?

It's difficult to answer your question. If you get a 170+, then delaying would be worth it. If not, it would not be. I've lost my crystal ball, but perhaps some other TLSer can see your future.

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:32 am

I wanted to post it here to see what people that are applying or have applied have to say.

My goal is 170...i think i can hit it if i get the 2 months.

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:54 am

Also, are there any stats that show the difference in applying in OCT or DEC? like % admitted and such.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:41 am

I kinda understand how those graphs work, but can explain to me exactly what it's showing and what it means. Thanks.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:47 am

paulshortys10 wrote:

I kinda understand how those graphs work, but can explain to me exactly what it's showing and what it means. Thanks.
It just shows what time of the year most action occurs. It's a simple graph.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:50 am

paulshortys10 wrote:

The getting a job/more volunteer work means nothing. More time to "perfect" app, is a pretty useless phrase, apps shouldn't take you that long. And you're not going to do anything but stare at it. Trust me.

Applying after the October test would be better than waiting until December. Impossible to quantify how much better though. Doing 5+ points better on the LSAT in Dec. would give you better results than than applying in Oct without the 5 point gain.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:52 am

D. H2Oman wrote: Applying after the October test would be better than waiting until December. Impossible to quantify how much better though. Doing 5+ points better on the LSAT in Dec. would give you better results than than applying in Oct without the 5 point gain.
This.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:41 am

kazu wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote: Applying after the October test would be better than waiting until December. Impossible to quantify how much better though. Doing 5+ points better on the LSAT in Dec. would give you better results than than applying in Oct without the 5 point gain.
This.
1-2 points higher in December could actually lead to better results, if those points put you over a schools median.

OP- If you have significant time to devote to studying for the LSAT, then pushing back to december might not be a bad call. Just keep in mind you don't have a safety net anymore if things come up or go wrong. Scholarship money may harder to get at some schools as well, depending on when they start giving out a significant portion of their scholarships.

If your main reasons are to add to your resume and try to perfect your personal statement though, then these would be bad reasons to delay.

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:35 am

well the main reason is obviously that i believe the extra time will make my LSAT score improve vastly.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:04 am

paulshortys10 wrote:I wanted to post it here to see what people that are applying or have applied have to say.
^
Wouldn't that be posting it anywhere on TLS?

Take it both times. Oct, and Dec if you are not happy with your Oct.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:47 am

If you are a URM and pull off a 165-167 you will be good at most of the schools on your list. I would study your ass off for the next 3.5 weeks and take it in October so that you benefit from the earlier app time which is generally crucial for successful URM cycles.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”