In at UVA, but i need advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby jdhopeful11 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:53 pm

It's a crapshoot. Contact admissions and ask them directly. ED, 4.0, 162, with good LORs, PS, and resume means anything can happen URM boost or no.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:53 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
ChiButterfly wrote:I don't see anything wrong in anything that the OP did. The OP stated the situation in an addendum. It's not like he lied about it. Furthermore, I don't understand why people are acting as if a 4.0/162 are such horrible numbers. :?

Congrats on UVA!


http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

Do you see all those people admitted with a 162 LSAT? No? Well that why the numbers are horrible, because for UVA they are not in general admit numbers.



It's not uncommon for someone to get in with those numbers ED


Well given the sample size on LSN, I would say that it isn't common. However, these people could be self-selected non-disclosers simply because the cycle ends early for them. But with the data available, I would say "common" is a major overstatement.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:55 pm

flyingpanda wrote:
jdhopeful11 wrote:How the hell do they enforce this type of situation from being abused?

Even though OP was telling the truth, this just goes to show that anyone can lie and say that they are 1/16th NA and gain admittance to a better school then they are entitled to as long as they can bs their addendum.


The truth is, most people won't get caught during the application process. The risk is during C&F, this kind of thing can really bite you in the butt.


Lol, I'm not sure they would ever catch someone on claiming 1/16th. It's pretty difficult to prove.

hijodehombre
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby hijodehombre » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:55 pm

jdhopeful11 wrote:It's a crapshoot. Contact admissions and ask them directly. ED, 4.0, 162, with good LORs, PS, and resume means anything can happen URM boost or no.


What else would you expect them to say?

User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby jdhopeful11 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:55 pm

flyingpanda wrote:
jdhopeful11 wrote:How the hell do they enforce this type of situation from being abused?

Even though OP was telling the truth, this just goes to show that anyone can lie and say that they are 1/16th NA and gain admittance to a better school then they are entitled to as long as they can bs their addendum.


The truth is, most people won't get caught during the application process. The risk is during C&F, this kind of thing can really bite you in the butt.


I don't get it. Unless you lie and tell the truth, how can you screw yourself during C&F. Most people by then wouldn't have the balls to admit what they did and jeopardize 3years and 100k+ in wasted debt.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:55 pm

CastleRock wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
ChiButterfly wrote:I don't see anything wrong in anything that the OP did. The OP stated the situation in an addendum. It's not like he lied about it. Furthermore, I don't understand why people are acting as if a 4.0/162 are such horrible numbers. :?

Congrats on UVA!


http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

Do you see all those people admitted with a 162 LSAT? No? Well that why the numbers are horrible, because for UVA they are not in general admit numbers.



It's not uncommon for someone to get in with those numbers ED


Well given the sample size on LSN, I would say that it isn't common. However, these people could be self-selected non-disclosers simply because the cycle ends early for them. But with the data available, I would say "common" is a major overstatement.


What you were saying before is also a major overstatement.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:56 pm

jdhopeful11 wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:
jdhopeful11 wrote:How the hell do they enforce this type of situation from being abused?

Even though OP was telling the truth, this just goes to show that anyone can lie and say that they are 1/16th NA and gain admittance to a better school then they are entitled to as long as they can bs their addendum.


The truth is, most people won't get caught during the application process. The risk is during C&F, this kind of thing can really bite you in the butt.


I don't get it. Unless you lie and tell the truth, how can you screw yourself during C&F. Most people by then wouldn't have the balls to admit what they did and jeopardize 3years and 100k+ in wasted debt.


They actually do some research during C&F. Once again, it's not THAT likely to be caught, but the ramifications are pretty bad if this type of thing is found out.

User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby jdhopeful11 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:56 pm

hijodehombre wrote:
jdhopeful11 wrote:It's a crapshoot. Contact admissions and ask them directly. ED, 4.0, 162, with good LORs, PS, and resume means anything can happen URM boost or no.


What else would you expect them to say?


I would assume that they wouldn't care just to boost their URM admittance stats.

hijodehombre
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby hijodehombre » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:57 pm

jdhopeful11 wrote:
hijodehombre wrote:
jdhopeful11 wrote:It's a crapshoot. Contact admissions and ask them directly. ED, 4.0, 162, with good LORs, PS, and resume means anything can happen URM boost or no.


What else would you expect them to say?


I would assume that they wouldn't care just to boost their URM admittance stats.


:roll:

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:57 pm

flyingpanda wrote:What you were saying before is also a major overstatement.


What was I saying that was a major overstatement? I owned up to the one slip of my tongue, but other than that, what was an overstatement? That he was lucky to get in? Look at the data, he was lucky to get in.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:57 pm

CastleRock wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
ChiButterfly wrote:I don't see anything wrong in anything that the OP did. The OP stated the situation in an addendum. It's not like he lied about it. Furthermore, I don't understand why people are acting as if a 4.0/162 are such horrible numbers. :?

Congrats on UVA!


http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

Do you see all those people admitted with a 162 LSAT? No? Well that why the numbers are horrible, because for UVA they are not in general admit numbers.



It's not uncommon for someone to get in with those numbers ED


Well given the sample size on LSN, I would say that it isn't common. However, these people could be self-selected non-disclosers simply because the cycle ends early for them. But with the data available, I would say "common" is a major overstatement.




http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... =3&type=jd

User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby jdhopeful11 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:58 pm

flyingpanda wrote:
They actually do some research during C&F. Once again, it's not THAT likely to be caught, but the ramifications are pretty bad if this type of thing is found out.



Lol what kind of research? A questionnaire?

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:58 pm

jdhopeful11 wrote:
hijodehombre wrote:
jdhopeful11 wrote:It's a crapshoot. Contact admissions and ask them directly. ED, 4.0, 162, with good LORs, PS, and resume means anything can happen URM boost or no.


What else would you expect them to say?


I would assume that they wouldn't care just to boost their URM admittance stats.


Wow, that's naive.

User avatar
ChiButterfly
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby ChiButterfly » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:59 pm

jt1341 wrote:You are below both 25ths, BY A LONG SHOT. You think there was little luck or that it isn't uncommon? Like honestly, are you an idiot?


How am i below BOTH 25ths with a 4.0 in case you dont know what that is, its ALL A's no A-, No B's. Are you an idiot?[/quote]

Hm i am curious how he is below the 25th percent for GPA with a 4.0?
Maybe you made a mistake with that comment lol


Okay so i think everyone is a little hard on the guy, I did get into UVA with a 4.0 and a 160 LSAT. So he may not have gotten a URM boost here. (im white)

Anyways if I was you, OP, i would stop posting because people are just killen ya. Your in, dont worry about it. You deserve it, they r letting in 171's with 3.0 which in my opinion is worse (of course :p) anyways your good, with the addendum you definitely didnt get a boost. I bet hundreds of people claim that every year because its so hard to prove/disprove[/quote]

flame[/quote]

Im a flame? even though ive posted in the admitted UVA site, got an email from Dugas and called him. People here are being alittle overwhelming....

I dont get the hate going on. Cant we all just get along lol[/quote]


I'm with you, JT! :lol:

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:01 pm

jdhopeful11 wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:
They actually do some research during C&F. Once again, it's not THAT likely to be caught, but the ramifications are pretty bad if this type of thing is found out.



Lol what kind of research? A questionnaire?


No,

"All applicants must file an application questionnaire, with supporting documentation. Only complete applications will be accepted for filing. A complete application consists of the application questionnaire, all required accompanying forms and supporting documentation, including two Affidavits of Good Moral Character, and Legal Employment Affidavits from every law-related position you have held, including paid or unpaid internships, summer associate positions, volunteer work in law school clinics or elsewhere. The application materials also include law school certificates for you to fill out and send to every law school you attended. The law school then fills out its portion of the form and sends it directly to the Committee."

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:03 pm


Ok, so four people with similar number (although, two points higher on the lsat gets into new territory). You just proved my point, it's uncommon. As far as LSAT goes, he'll likely be in the bottom 1 or 2% of the entire class. I would call acceptance lucky and uncommon.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:03 pm

"The character-and-fitness evaluation is meant to examine the history and background of all bar applicants. Any encounters with the law must be reported and examined, as well as the applicant’s work history, education, and finances, so that the applicant can be deemed worthy of acceptance into the bar association."

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:04 pm

flyingpanda wrote:"The character-and-fitness evaluation is meant to examine the history and background of all bar applicants. Any encounters with the law must be reported and examined, as well as the applicant’s work history, education, and finances, so that the applicant can be deemed worthy of acceptance into the bar association."


At the 1/16th level, it would be hard for them to prove anything.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:04 pm

CastleRock wrote:

Ok, so four people with similar number (although, two points higher on the lsat gets into new territory). You just proved my point, it's uncommon. As far as LSAT goes, he'll likely be in the bottom 1 or 2% of the entire class. I would call acceptance lucky and uncommon.


It's not lucky, 50% chance seems like decent odds to me. It's far higher than the chances of the applicant pool overall.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:05 pm

CastleRock wrote:

Ok, so four people with similar number (although, two points higher on the lsat gets into new territory). You just proved my point, it's uncommon. As far as LSAT goes, he'll likely be in the bottom 1 or 2% of the entire class. I would call acceptance lucky and uncommon.



That's a list of the people who were 160-165/3.9 GPA+ who applied ED last cycle.


4/7 got in.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:13 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

Ok, so four people with similar number (although, two points higher on the lsat gets into new territory). You just proved my point, it's uncommon. As far as LSAT goes, he'll likely be in the bottom 1 or 2% of the entire class. I would call acceptance lucky and uncommon.



That's a list of the people who were 160-165/3.9 GPA+ who applied ED last cycle.


4/7 got in.


Fair enough, with ED I guess your chances improve. But 50% is still a filp of a coin. And realistically, your chances are still relatively slim. They are only going to fill so many spots with those numbers. All I am trying to say is that the OP doesn't see that he is lucky to be in a decently ranked T14 with his rather lackluster (applying TLS standards) LSAT score.

hijodehombre
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby hijodehombre » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

Ok, so four people with similar number (although, two points higher on the lsat gets into new territory). You just proved my point, it's uncommon. As far as LSAT goes, he'll likely be in the bottom 1 or 2% of the entire class. I would call acceptance lucky and uncommon.



That's a list of the people who were 160-165/3.9 GPA+ who applied ED last cycle.


4/7 got in.


I understand your point, but one of those was a URM who was waitlsited before being accepted. The other three had an average of 3 points higher on the LSAT. That's not a minor difference, imo.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:18 pm

hijodehombre wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

Ok, so four people with similar number (although, two points higher on the lsat gets into new territory). You just proved my point, it's uncommon. As far as LSAT goes, he'll likely be in the bottom 1 or 2% of the entire class. I would call acceptance lucky and uncommon.



That's a list of the people who were 160-165/3.9 GPA+ who applied ED last cycle.


4/7 got in.


I understand your point, but one of those was a URM who was waitlsited before being accepted. The other three had an average of 3 points higher on the LSAT. That's not a minor difference, imo.

OP has a 162. HTH

hijodehombre
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby hijodehombre » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:22 pm

Oops, sorry, didn't mean to short-chage the OP out of 2 LSAT points. He certainly deserves it.

LawSchoolBound1234
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby LawSchoolBound1234 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:50 pm

.
Last edited by LawSchoolBound1234 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests