In at UVA, but i need advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
arism87

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Postby arism87 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:12 pm

arism87 wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
arism87 wrote:I have also wondered about this-- I am also 1/16 but Shawnee-- according to my grandparents and my research, there are VERY few records available in our family or the tribe in general. Most were never included on government rolls and some were not federally recognized. My family has stayed in the area (Virginia/West Virginia) so I've never been to a reservation or anything like that.

I have been back and forth on whether to include this. Does it seem fair to put it in an addendum and leave it up to them? Or just not at all? I'm tempted to just leave it up to to them to decide..

Yes please write the "I've never been to a reservation or anything like that, but my grandmother says I'm 1/16th Native American, oh yeah there isn't any record of this. Just thought you should know" addendum.

Yeah no need to be an ass, that is just about exactly what the OP did, and a 160 is low even for ED (no offense! In is in, and you'll love it!)

162, sorry

ChiButterfly

Postby ChiButterfly » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:19 pm

LawSchoolBound1234 wrote:haha okay. I was curious. I was thinking about retaking, but unless i was gonna get Columbia/HS there is no whereelse i would rather go. figured it wasnt worth the extra studying.

But didn't you apply ED? Either way, congrats!

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:20 pm

URM likely helped the OP. No use avoiding the truth.

That being said, don't feel bad about it. Trust me, I'm the first one to argue that affirmative action in its current state is unfair--however, YOU ARE IN. Take it and run.

Congrats!

(And don't worry about the future with job prospects, etc. You have a long while until that anyway).

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:21 pm

arism87 wrote:162, sorry

4.0, 162 is good chances with ED for any non-URM though. He probably didn't get any boost especially if he said he didn't have any sort of affiliation with his tribe.

It's your choice whether you want to push this NA thing. Most on the board would agree that it's a little immoral if you've never really identified yourself as NA and just pulled this out of your ass for applying to schools.

You might not get a boost without a tribal card anyways.

LawSchoolBound1234

Postby LawSchoolBound1234 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:26 pm

Last edited by LawSchoolBound1234 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:29 pm

LawSchoolBound1234 wrote:Yes i did apply ED, but i am going to apply for a deferal for 1 year. (i do have a significant reason) so if they dont allow it i will have to re-apply, in that case would it be worth a retake? 160 is about where i was on PT's, RC killed me.

Hopefully they will allow me to defer for 1 year. I am pretty excited about UVA, and feel they place very well in NYC or even CA where i am from

deferal? Are you out of your mind? Do you know how lucky you are to be accepted into UVA with your LSAT score?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:32 pm

LawSchoolBound1234 wrote:Yes i did apply ED, but i am going to apply for a deferal for 1 year. (i do have a significant reason) so if they dont allow it i will have to re-apply, in that case would it be worth a retake? 160 is about where i was on PT's, RC killed me.

Hopefully they will allow me to defer for 1 year. I am pretty excited about UVA, and feel they place very well in NYC or even CA where i am from

If they give you a hard time about the deferral, let them know that you may be part black too.

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:32 pm

piece of cake, i'm convinced OP can talk himself out of a DUI

LawSchoolBound1234

Postby LawSchoolBound1234 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:35 pm

Last edited by LawSchoolBound1234 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:38 pm

LawSchoolBound1234 wrote:I have a reason that i almost must defer. And like i said before, someone was admitted with a 160 and a 4.0, or at least said so on here. So i dont think it is soo lucky or uncommon.

And the black comment was very unnecessary, im sure youve never made a mistake. U must be going to HYS next year right?

You are below both 25ths, BY A LONG SHOT. You think there was little luck or that it isn't uncommon? Like honestly, are you an idiot?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:40 pm

LawSchoolBound1234 wrote:I have a reason that i almost must defer. And like i said before, someone was admitted with a 160 and a 4.0, or at least said so on here. So i dont think it is soo lucky or uncommon.

And the black comment was very unnecessary, im sure youve never made a mistake. U must be going to HYS next year right?

So its ok to be part NA but not part black? El racismo!

LawSchoolBound1234

Postby LawSchoolBound1234 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:40 pm

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:43 pm

LawSchoolBound1234 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

You are below both 25ths, BY A LONG SHOT. You think there was little luck or that it isn't uncommon? Like honestly, are you an idiot?

How am i below BOTH 25ths with a 4.0 in case you dont know what that is, its ALL A's no A-, No B's. Are you an idiot?

Sorry, you're right. Your GPA is a above the 75th. But in all honesty, who gives a fuck. No one else is getting into UVA with a 162 LSAT, unless they check that little box.

ChiButterfly

Postby ChiButterfly » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:45 pm

I don't see anything wrong in anything that the OP did. The OP stated the situation in an addendum. It's not like he lied about it. Furthermore, I don't understand why people are acting as if a 4.0/162 are such horrible numbers. :?

Congrats on UVA!

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:46 pm

How the hell do they enforce this type of situation from being abused?

Even though OP was telling the truth, this just goes to show that anyone can lie and say that they are 1/16th NA and gain admittance to a better school then they are entitled to as long as they can bs their addendum.

Postby 005618502 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:47 pm

CastleRock wrote:

How am i below BOTH 25ths with a 4.0 in case you dont know what that is, its ALL A's no A-, No B's. Are you an idiot?

Hm i am curious how he is below the 25th percent for GPA with a 4.0?
Maybe you made a mistake with that comment lol

Okay so i think everyone is a little hard on the guy, I did get into UVA with a 4.0 and a 160 LSAT. So he may not have gotten a URM boost here. (im white)

Anyways if I was you, OP, i would stop posting because people are just killen ya. Your in, dont worry about it. You deserve it, they r letting in 171's with 3.0 which in my opinion is worse (of course :p) anyways your good, with the addendum you definitely didnt get a boost. I bet hundreds of people claim that every year because its so hard to prove/disprove

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:48 pm

ChiButterfly wrote:I don't see anything wrong in anything that the OP did. The OP stated the situation in an addendum. It's not like he lied about it. Furthermore, I don't understand why people are acting as if a 4.0/162 are such horrible numbers. :?

Congrats on UVA!

http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

Do you see all those people admitted with a 162 LSAT? No? Well that why the numbers are horrible, because for UVA they are not in general admit numbers.

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:48 pm

jt1341 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

Okay so i think everyone is a little hard on the guy, I did get into UVA with a 4.0 and a 160 LSAT. So he may not have gotten a URM boost here. (im white)

Anyways if I was you, OP, i would stop posting because people are just killen ya. Your in, dont worry about it. You deserve it, they r letting in 171's with 3.0 which in my opinion is worse (of course :p) anyways your good, with the addendum you definitely didnt get a boost. I bet hundreds of people claim that every year because its so hard to prove/disprove

flame

Postby 005618502 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:49 pm

jdhopeful11 wrote:How the hell do they enforce this type of situation from being abused?

Even though OP was telling the truth, this just goes to show that anyone can lie and say that they are 1/16th NA and gain admittance to a better school then they are entitled to as long as they can bs their addendum.

Better then they r entitled to! i have worse numbers and got in! wtf is wrong with everyone, im very confused why people think 162 4.0 doesnt deserve UVA, cause it does. As in the beginning someone said, 4.0 162 color doesnt matter because they love one number being way above the 75th%

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:49 pm

jt1341 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

Umm, do you not see the post where I admitted that I made a mistake? It's three above yours.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:50 pm

CastleRock wrote:
ChiButterfly wrote:I don't see anything wrong in anything that the OP did. The OP stated the situation in an addendum. It's not like he lied about it. Furthermore, I don't understand why people are acting as if a 4.0/162 are such horrible numbers. :?

Congrats on UVA!

Do you see all those people admitted with a 162 LSAT? No? Well that why the numbers are horrible, because for UVA they are not in general admit numbers.

It's not uncommon for someone to get in with those numbers ED

Postby 005618502 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:51 pm

You are below both 25ths, BY A LONG SHOT. You think there was little luck or that it isn't uncommon? Like honestly, are you an idiot?[/quote]

How am i below BOTH 25ths with a 4.0 in case you dont know what that is, its ALL A's no A-, No B's. Are you an idiot?[/quote]

Anyways if I was you, OP, i would stop posting because people are just killen ya. Your in, dont worry about it. You deserve it, they r letting in 171's with 3.0 which in my opinion is worse (of course :p) anyways your good, with the addendum you definitely didnt get a boost. I bet hundreds of people claim that every year because its so hard to prove/disprove[/quote]

flame[/quote]

Im a flame? even though ive posted in the admitted UVA site, got an email from Dugas and called him. People here are being alittle overwhelming....

I dont get the hate going on. Cant we all just get along lol

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:51 pm

CastleRock wrote:

Congrats on UVA!

ED'ing gives both high lsat/low gpa and low lsat/high gpa splitters a chance to get in if one of the numbers meets the median.

damnit h20, stop stealing my thunder.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:52 pm

jt1341 wrote:
jdhopeful11 wrote:How the hell do they enforce this type of situation from being abused?

Better then they r entitled to! i have worse numbers and got in! wtf is wrong with everyone, im very confused why people think 162 4.0 doesnt deserve UVA, cause it does. As in the beginning someone said, 4.0 162 color doesnt matter because they love one number being way above the 75th%

No, they love the LSAT being above median, other than that its a crapshoot. You can get in with pretty much any gpa if your lsat is above the 75th.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:52 pm

The truth is, most people won't get caught during the application process. The risk is during C&F, this kind of thing can really bite you in the butt.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”