In at UVA, but i need advice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WestOfTheRest

Silver

Re: In at UVA, but i need advice

Post by WestOfTheRest » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:52 pm

LawSchoolBound1234 wrote:Alright well I dont want to hit any problems with getting a job/OCI/callbacks/Bar so i think what i am going to do is call the school and speak with someone. I will expain that i was using it to show my family research NOT as a URM boost. And how i would go about reversing that/not having to claim it again. I dont want to run into future problems and i thought with my addendum i made it perfectly clear. But i want to make sure. I did ED to have no worries, not to be worried for 3 years. I will post back when i hear back
Do not do this. You did not lie, you provided an addendum and they had all the pertinent information. Take your acceptance and realize it is a blessing. I'm not trying to discredit your 4.0 or your LSAT, but you were lucky to get in. If you got a URM boost, you did so by providing all the important information. Don't worry about.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:53 pm

OP, idk if this was asked but are you a VA resident? If so, I think with those numbers coupled with the ED and applying so early in the cycle would be a pretty common acceptance, despite being URM or not

LawSchoolBound1234

New

Post by LawSchoolBound1234 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:55 pm

Not a VA resident. Another ding i guess :/

The thing i worry about is the future, i mean do i claim NA the rest of my life (i did check caucaisan also) because i do not see myself as a native american really, i did it, like i have said, to show the "whole package" and research i have done.

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:57 pm

CastleRock wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:"The character-and-fitness evaluation is meant to examine the history and background of all bar applicants. Any encounters with the law must be reported and examined, as well as the applicant’s work history, education, and finances, so that the applicant can be deemed worthy of acceptance into the bar association."
At the 1/16th level, it would be hard for them to prove anything.

Exactly. This is a flaw in the admissions process that needs to be fixed.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:57 pm

LawSchoolBound1234 wrote:Not a VA resident. Another ding i guess :/

The thing i worry about is the future, i mean do i claim NA the rest of my life (i did check caucaisan also) because i do not see myself as a native american really, i did it, like i have said, to show the "whole package" and research i have done.
You're allowed to claim whatever you want (as long as you're being truthful), and in all actuality, you don't have to claim anything on questions regarding race. Just be happy with your acceptance and stop worrying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:59 pm

jdhopeful11 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:"The character-and-fitness evaluation is meant to examine the history and background of all bar applicants. Any encounters with the law must be reported and examined, as well as the applicant’s work history, education, and finances, so that the applicant can be deemed worthy of acceptance into the bar association."
At the 1/16th level, it would be hard for them to prove anything.

Exactly. This is a flaw in the admissions process that needs to be fixed.
This isn't a flaw, it's life. Adcoms know about the possibility and they make their decisions and keep this in mind. There is no inherent flaw, it's just part of the process. Life is not fair, ask the African boy who was kidnapped from his home in Africa and brought half way around the world to work a sugar cane plantation. Get over it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”