Urgent Advice Requested Today

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which is a better job for a law school application?

Teaching AP Economics in China
92%
Writer/Receptionist
8%

Total votes: 13

Hey-O

Urgent Advice Requested Today

Postby Hey-O » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:23 pm

I have two job choices, and I'm wondering which would look better on a resume for law school.

1.) Teaching A.P. Economics in China

2.) Working as a writer for a local website/working as a receptionist/admin at a local law firm

I know that jobs aren't all that important when applying to law school, but which of these two jobs would look better and why?

bk1

Re: Urgent Advice Requested Today

Postby bk1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:25 pm

I don't think the difference will be significant enough to notice so you should decide on factors other than how much it will help you in law school admissions.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:26 pm

Teaching in China.

1. it's in China
2. it's Economics.

But really you should just do what you think you'd like more. You don't want to live in China for a long time and be miserable just for the minuscule chance that it looks better enough on a resume to get you in somewhere the other job won't.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:26 pm

Hey-O wrote:I have two job choices, and I'm wondering which would look better on a resume for law school.

1.) Teaching A.P. Economics in China

2.) Working as a writer for a local website/working as a receptionist/admin at a local law firm

I know that jobs aren't all that important when applying to law school, but which of these two jobs would look better and why?

Neither one is likely to be a game-changer, but admissions committees see #2 VERY frequently. #1 sounds like a cool experience, could be weaved into a personal statement, makes someone reading your essay think that you are caring and interesting, etc. I would definitely go with #1.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:26 pm

This is easy.

Teaching is a +
Being smart (AP economics) is a +
Living in other countries is a +

The writing/receptionist is meh.

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:27 pm

Hey-O wrote:Teaching A.P. Economics in China

Postby 2014 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:28 pm

No reason you can't list both, but if you got meaningful legal experience out of the latter, I think it would have an advantage. This is meaningful as in you were involved in law work, not simply answering the phone. The China one obviously looks better on paper, but is less applicable.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:29 pm

2014 wrote:No reason you can't list both, but if you got meaningful legal experience out of the latter, I think it would have an advantage. This is meaningful as in you were involved in law work, not simply answering the phone. The China one obviously looks better on paper, but is less applicable.

Seriously? You think admins do real work?

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:32 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
2014 wrote:No reason you can't list both, but if you got meaningful legal experience out of the latter, I think it would have an advantage. This is meaningful as in you were involved in law work, not simply answering the phone. The China one obviously looks better on paper, but is less applicable.

Haha, admins do work, but I just don't happen to get to do the legal kind. The closest I get to legal experience is saying the word 'law office' when I answer the phone with the phrase, "Thank you for calling the law office of blank, blank, and blank."

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:43 pm

Hey-O wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

Haha, admins do work, but I just don't happen to get to do the legal kind. The closest I get to legal experience is saying the word 'law office' when I answer the phone with the phrase, "Thank you for calling the law office of blank, blank, and blank."

Yeah, I'm being elitist. That said, at any company, there's the support staff and there's the people doing the substantive work. You want to be in the 2nd group. "Admin" to me doesn't sound like the kind of experience that would be worth passing up teaching in China.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”