name dropping in PS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Rob Crow

name dropping in PS

Postby Rob Crow » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:56 pm

I happen to be in a business where we work with lots of amlaw-100 firms, major consulting firms, etc.

What's the general consensus on name-dropping in one's personal statement? In my particular case, we provide practice development services for professional services firms. I have personally closed deals with and done work for multiple amlaw-100 partners.

I am writing a PS based on my work-experience . In discussing the work, I had a reference to having worked with amlaw 100 firms. I am opening with an anecdote about a specific, non-law client (will be unnamed).

Awkward? Most of the example PS's I see posted don't do much name dropping, and it's not usually my way, but it seemed to fit the context.

I had a friend who worked as a reporter - his PS was nothing but references to politicians he interacted with while covering a US-senate campaign.

Appreciate any guidance.

bk1

Re: name dropping in PS

Postby bk1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:01 am

Name-dropping implies you are merely using the name to make yourself sound better. If you're not and you are using it in a natural way that makes sense in a PS I see nothing wrong with it.

Also, most people redact personal info like that out of the PS's they most on here.

Rob Crow

Re: name dropping in PS

Postby Rob Crow » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:33 am

Thanks - that's entirely fair / makes sense, and in this case I think it fit the context, rather than being a name-drop for a name-drop.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”