Resume, Skills Section Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CrushCrawfish

Resume, Skills Section Question

Postby CrushCrawfish » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:32 pm

Hey everyone. I have two questions regarding resume content.

1. What do y'all think about having a "Skills" section on your resume? I come from a physics background, but after some time in graduate school, decided to switch to law (long story). Anyway, I have some computer programming knowledge and extensive laboratory skills. I'm "converting" my CV into a resume, and so far, I still have a "Research Skills" section. I don't know if I should keep this on my resume (to highlight my physics work) or remove it because it isn't really relevant to a career as a lawyer. My gut says remove it, but I'd appreciate some feedback. :)

2. I work with an advocacy group and we publish press releases about human rights issues (the field of law that I'm interested in). I'm not sure if press release citations belong on a resume... FYI, I was quoted by news agencies in some other articles.

Thanks in advance for your feedback. I hope everyone has a fruitful application cycle this year!

r6_philly

Re: Resume, Skills Section Question

Postby r6_philly » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:06 pm

My skills section on my professional resume is more than half a page long. I took it out because I don't see the point of listing like 50 different programming languages and technologies. If you want to keep your skills on the resume, build that into the research activities and duties in each entry.

I am not sure about the second one. Some of my previous work were cited in national publications, but I don't know how to work it in a CV. I presume this happens a lot but I never seen citations being listed on CV's. I am interested to know inputs on this. Should I just mention the citation under the particular research activity?

CrushCrawfish

Re: Resume, Skills Section Question

Postby CrushCrawfish » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:07 am

Well, I'm the one who originally posed the question re: citations, but (so far) I pretty much did what you're saying, r6_philly. I put a bullet point under my press release publications saying "Quoted by..." Of course, I'm still not sure this is kosher.

I think being cited by major national publications is a big achievement--especially if your original work wasn't in a major journal. I think you should find a way to squeeze it into your resume. If you were cited many times, maybe say "Cited by..." and list some of the bigger name journals.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”