How to fit a blog/site into an LS application?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Day2Daze

How to fit a blog/site into an LS application?

Postby Day2Daze » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:47 pm

Im sorry if this question has already been covered before, just looking for some ideas/insight on what to do...

Where do I mention my pretty successful blog? I spend a fuckin load of time on it and its got a pretty good readership, average 4,000 hits/week. So do I mention it, and how? (its political, not a cooking blog or something totally unrelated to what I studied)
OR should I just include a section in my resume with a list of my articles that were published on other sites or papers? This would be just a sampling of everything on my blog, but it would be less complicated.

Any ideas? I appreciate any feedback, thankss :)

oshberg28

Re: How to fit a blog/site into an LS application?

Postby oshberg28 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:47 pm

It'll be interesting to see what the responses are to this....I don't think it's a good idea. Anyone can blog - it's not an accomplishment. It's like writing in a journal and putting it online. I don't think the adcomms are going to care. You may respond that it's an accomplishment that you have about 4000 readers. Perhaps...but to me this is like putting on your application that you have 1000 facebook friends. Maybe others have opposite views though. I very well could be wrong.

Day2Daze

Postby Day2Daze » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:53 pm

oshberg28 wrote:It'll be interesting to see what the responses are to this....I don't think it's a good idea. Anyone can blog - it's not an accomplishment. It's like writing in a journal and putting it online. I don't think the adcomms are going to care. Since it's political, that just adds another element and a chance that it could hurt instead of help you. You may respond that it's an accomplishment that you have about 4000 readers. Perhaps...but to me this is like putting on your application that you have 1000 facebook friends. If you do mention it in your application, I wouldn't put a link to it. Adcomms have better things to do than read an applicant's blog.

Yea, all of that sounds bad. Its just something that really is all about me. It contains alot of what I do, have done, will do and its going well. Leaving it out entirely would feel weird since it is such a big part of what I do w/ my time.

Thanks for the insight though, Adcomms wouldnt have the time to look at it...and without looking at it, it is just 'another blog'. I think Ill leave it out for now.

Any other input/suggestions, please?

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:55 pm

I'm inclined to think the opposite. I've started a blog before; It's hard to build up 4000 readers per week.

I'm not sure the best way to do it. Perhaps you should make it part of your resume, with the name of the blog as your employer and your position as author (or something similar), like:

"Name of Blog" Blog................................Dates
Author
*Bullet points of what you do, accomplishments, 4000 readers, etc

Alternatively, you could put it under your activities. Just know that if you post it, they might read it.
Last edited by lzyovrachievr on Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:56 pm

Also, anyone can blog- but most people suck at it and stop really quickly/die out because they have no readers.

Day2Daze

Postby Day2Daze » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:02 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:I'm inclined to think the opposite. I've started a blog before; It's hard to build up 4000 readers per week.

I'm not sure the best way to do it. Perhaps you should make it part of your resume, with the name of the blog as your employer and your position as author (or something similar), like:

Author

Alternatively, you could put it under your activities. Just know that if you post it, they might read it.

Yea, this ^ is why I wanted to make it part of my application. I dont think it would be that big a deal if they read it, its mostly journalistic with a bit of opinion/perspective thrown in. I like your format idea for fitting it into a resume. Just have to decide whether to include it or not. Thanks :)

oshberg28

Postby oshberg28 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:16 pm

Day2Daze wrote:
lzyovrachievr wrote:I'm inclined to think the opposite. I've started a blog before; It's hard to build up 4000 readers per week.

Author

Yea, this ^ is why I wanted to make it part of my application. I dont think it would be that big a deal if they read it, its mostly journalistic with a bit of opinion/perspective thrown in. I like your format idea for fitting it into a resume. Just have to decide whether to include it or not. Thanks :)

Hm...for me the resume is different. I think you should put anything on the resume that you want to - it's basically a page to put anything that you think markets yourself. So, I say sure, put it on your resume. I'm just not sure if I'd put it in the actual application (like where they say to list extracurricular activities/honors/etc.)...I really don't think I'm qualified to give a solid 'yes' or 'no' answer here though, haha. Just my opinion as a follow applicant.

Day2Daze

Postby Day2Daze » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:24 pm

oshberg28 wrote:
Hm...for me the resume is different. I think you should put anything on the resume that you want to - it's basically a page to put anything that you think markets yourself. So, I say sure, put it on your resume. I'm just not sure if I'd put it in the actual application (like where they say to list extracurricular activities/honors/etc.)...I really don't think I'm qualified to give a solid 'yes' or 'no' answer here though, haha. Just my opinion as a follow applicant.

Well this is the internet...all Im expecting are opinions :) Although, if Im mentioning it in my resume then its gonna be included in the application isn't it? If I can split it up that would be alright I guess.

DavidYurman85

Postby DavidYurman85 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:34 pm

include it as an activity. i'm not sure it deserves a formal space under "work", unless it's an actual gig, but something like: "Laura's blog"... write/edit political commentary for 4000+ readers weekly or something like that would work.

while i know it isn't the same as the ls app process, i know of a few people who manage or write for successful blogs and they've been pretty successful in getting jobs because of it. i think that people recognize blogs as something extracurricular and it can demonstrate your commitment to a particular subject...or just that you have a lot of free time! :-)

Day2Daze

Postby Day2Daze » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:40 pm

DavidYurman85 wrote:include it as an activity. i'm not sure it deserves a formal space under "work", unless it's an actual gig, but something like: "Laura's blog"... write/edit political commentary for 4000+ readers weekly or something like that would work.

while i know it isn't the same as the ls app process, i know of a few people who manage or write for successful blogs and they've been pretty successful in getting jobs because of it. i think that people recognize blogs as something extracurricular and it can demonstrate your commitment to a particular subject...or just that you have a lot of free time! :-)

Yea I think I prefer your 'activity' way better. It is a job in a way since I get paid for some pieces that go elsewhere (freelance journalism) as well and I get some 'support' from readers, but listing it as an activity might look less awkward on the resume. Only problem with that is that it could undermine it and make it look like 'just another blog'.

Again, I'm considering leaving it out altogether lol...Thanks though :)

SullaFelix

Postby SullaFelix » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:38 pm

Day2Daze wrote:Im sorry if this question has already been covered before, just looking for some ideas/insight on what to do...

Where do I mention my pretty successful blog? I spend a fuckin load of time on it and its got a pretty good readership, average 4,000 hits/week. So do I mention it, and how? (its political, not a cooking blog or something totally unrelated to what I studied)
OR should I just include a section in my resume with a list of my articles that were published on other sites or papers? This would be just a sampling of everything on my blog, but it would be less complicated.

Any ideas? I appreciate any feedback, thankss :)

If it's part of who you are professionally, then list it as a professional accomplishment. Can't hurt.

Day2Daze

Postby Day2Daze » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:47 pm

SullaFelix wrote:
If it's part of who you are professionally, then list it as a professional accomplishment. Can't hurt.

Yea..that makes it sound simple. It definitely is part of who I am professionally, a big part, just wasnt sure how to include it or how an Adcomm would view its inclusion. You dont think it can hurt, is that including if they actually look at the blog?

Seems pretty even split on whether I should or should not include it. Might just be worth calling an adcomm about it, probably at a school Im not applying too.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:07 pm

Day2Daze wrote:
SullaFelix wrote:

Yea..that makes it sound simple. It definitely is part of who I am professionally, a big part, just wasnt sure how to include it or how an Adcomm would view its inclusion. You dont think it can hurt, is that including if they actually look at the blog?

Seems pretty even split on whether I should or should not include it. Might just be worth calling an adcomm about it, probably at a school Im not applying too.

I don't think it can hurt you to include it. At the worst, it seems like you are padding your resume a bit. At best, it's just another weak soft.

oshberg28

Postby oshberg28 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:26 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Day2Daze wrote:
SullaFelix wrote:

I don't think it can hurt you to include it. At the worst, it seems like you are padding your resume a bit. At best, it's just another weak soft.

Yeah, after thinking about it a bit, I think you should include it. Since you mentioned that freelance articles were a product of your blog, it makes sense. That way you could include the freelance journalism and tie it into your blog or vice-versa.

SullaFelix

Postby SullaFelix » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:20 pm

Day2Daze wrote:
SullaFelix wrote:

I think it is that simple. The job of your resume should be to give admissions committees a full picture of who you are professionally, through a gloss that's to your advantage. If you see the blog as a real professional accomplishment, include it.

Obviously, though, you shouldn't feel uncomfortable about the possibility of adcomms reading the blog. If that is the case, then perhaps elide it. Again though, no one would know better than you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”