LSAT Retake and when to apply

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

LSAT Retake and when to apply

Postby Spinozist21 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:34 am

Hey guys, another quick question I wanted to get some advice on. I took my first LSAT and received a 157 and am retaking in October. I wanted to get all my applications in very early, but I am uncertain how, now, to do that. Would it behoove me to apply with my current LSAT and then update the committee once my new score comes in? Or should I just wait until November 1? Would schools wait to make a decision until they got my new score? How would that look for me?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: LSAT Retake and when to apply

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:42 am

You may get better replies if you share more info. ( for example, GPA, URM status & law schools to which you plan to apply).

User avatar
St.Remy
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: LSAT Retake and when to apply

Postby St.Remy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:55 am

Spinozist21 wrote:Hey guys, another quick question I wanted to get some advice on. I took my first LSAT and received a 157 and am retaking in October. I wanted to get all my applications in very early, but I am uncertain how, now, to do that. Would it behoove me to apply with my current LSAT and then update the committee once my new score comes in? Or should I just wait until November 1? Would schools wait to make a decision until they got my new score? How would that look for me?


Schools have this happen all the time. If you have marked on LSAC that you are retaking then schools will see that and put your application to the side until they receive your new scores (at least that is what everyone says). So you could send now if you wanted and it would not look bad. But you could also wait for your new scores and send your app in all together.y. Send it now and have them put it to the side or send it later and have it ready to go, either way admissions will look at your application at approximately the same time.

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: LSAT Retake and when to apply

Postby MoS » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:58 am

Most apps will let you check a box or write in any future dates which you will be taking the lsat. So the school will put your app on hold until they get your score. Then your app along with anyone else who did this will get into review prior to those who wait to send their apps in until after they get their scores, because lsac will send updates with the new score immediately.

But I would caution against doing this, because you don't know what your score is until you get it. It may be lower than you thought (which would not be unheard of, it happened to you once) or it could be much higher than you thought. That score will affect where you reasonably could get in, and applying to schools before you get it could mean you wasted money on schools below or above your range. But if money isn't an issue, or you know there is a school you will apply to no matter what, then go for it.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: LSAT Retake and when to apply

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:01 am

Don't apply to Harvard & several others with a 157 LSAT even though scheduled for a retake. Indiana or Iowa & many others are different because those schools may not average LSAT scores & you may be within or close to their mid-rangr scores already.
I agree with the above post by MoS.

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: LSAT Retake and when to apply

Postby Spinozist21 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:27 am

Thanks to all who replied you were all very helpful.

As to my numbers and where I am applying I have my profile at LSN http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Spinozist21

But I can also indicate it all here:
I have a 3.49 (higher discounting one bad semester), no URM, and applying to Pitt ED.

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: LSAT Retake and when to apply

Postby MoS » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:33 pm

Don't apply ED to anywhere until you get your score. Unless you really would go to it over anywhere else. It severely limits you.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: LSAT Retake and when to apply

Postby Grizz » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:37 pm

Don't ED to Pitt. If you get in, it's not worth the money.

User avatar
St.Remy
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: LSAT Retake and when to apply

Postby St.Remy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:45 pm

MoS wrote:Don't apply ED to anywhere until you get your score. Unless you really would go to it over anywhere else. It severely limits you.


If OP really wants to practice in Pittsburgh there really isn't a reason not to ED there besides possible loss of scholarship money. There isn't a school outside of the t14 that would better set you up to practice in Pittsburgh than Pitt. If the OP is not focused on Pittsburgh above all other locales though then I agree with you.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: LSAT Retake and when to apply

Postby Grizz » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:49 pm

St.Remy wrote:
MoS wrote:Don't apply ED to anywhere until you get your score. Unless you really would go to it over anywhere else. It severely limits you.


If OP really wants to practice in Pittsburgh there really isn't a reason not to ED there besides possible loss of scholarship money. There isn't a school outside of the t14 that would better set you up to practice in Pittsburgh than Pitt. If the OP is not focused on Pittsburgh above all other locales though then I agree with you.


Possible loss of scholarship money is a pretty good reason not to ED there, because Pitt's not worth full price.

User avatar
St.Remy
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: LSAT Retake and when to apply

Postby St.Remy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:54 pm

rad law wrote:
St.Remy wrote:
MoS wrote:Don't apply ED to anywhere until you get your score. Unless you really would go to it over anywhere else. It severely limits you.


If OP really wants to practice in Pittsburgh there really isn't a reason not to ED there besides possible loss of scholarship money. There isn't a school outside of the t14 that would better set you up to practice in Pittsburgh than Pitt. If the OP is not focused on Pittsburgh above all other locales though then I agree with you.


Possible loss of scholarship money is a pretty good reason not to ED there, because Pitt's not worth full price.


Good point. Plus it looks like Pitt gives out $ pretty frequently to the 160+ crowd.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: LSAT Retake and when to apply

Postby Grizz » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:00 pm

St.Remy wrote:
rad law wrote:
St.Remy wrote:
MoS wrote:Don't apply ED to anywhere until you get your score. Unless you really would go to it over anywhere else. It severely limits you.


If OP really wants to practice in Pittsburgh there really isn't a reason not to ED there besides possible loss of scholarship money. There isn't a school outside of the t14 that would better set you up to practice in Pittsburgh than Pitt. If the OP is not focused on Pittsburgh above all other locales though then I agree with you.


Possible loss of scholarship money is a pretty good reason not to ED there, because Pitt's not worth full price.


Good point. Plus it looks like Pitt gives out $ pretty frequently to the 160+ crowd.


160+ is very in reach for you OP.

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: LSAT Retake and when to apply

Postby Spinozist21 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:21 pm

I just really do not know how to improve my LSAT and I really cannot afford to take a prep course. I am hoping that going through the experience once will actually help me a bit. Also, as an in-state resident the money is less.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: LSAT Retake and when to apply

Postby Grizz » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:I just really do not know how to improve my LSAT and I really cannot afford to take a prep course. I am hoping that going through the experience once will actually help me a bit. Also, as an in-state resident the money is less.


$25k plus COL is nothing to be sneezed at.

There's plenty of tips for improving LSAT here on TLS.

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: LSAT Retake and when to apply

Postby Spinozist21 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:03 am

Do you all have any idea what I would be looking like at Pitt ED with my current numbers?

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: LSAT Retake and when to apply

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:23 pm

I am thinking about applying to Pitt (since I am applying ED as it is) with the current numbers I have by Oct 1 then see where I am at after I get the LSAT and update them. I figure that if I get my application in with the numbers I have now early I have a better chance at getting in...and I can always update them if I get a better score.

Yes?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 10 guests