GPA Addenudm

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Spinozist21

GPA Addenudm

Postby Spinozist21 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:29 am

Hey guys. Just wanted to get some advice. I transferred from one top 20 institution to another and the first semester at the new institution I had very little advising and ended up in all pre-med science classes. Needless to say my GPA that first semester was terrible (sub 3.0) but all subsequent semesters have been +3.6 and I had a 3.67 GPA coming to the new school. So I am wondering if it would be to my advantage, and how to go about writing, a GPA addendum. My overall LSDAS GPA with that semester included is around a 3.49. However, if that semester were excluded my overall GPA would be a 3.64.

Thanks in advance.

Eugenie Danglars

Re: GPA Addenudm

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:31 am

I believe the general consensus is, if you have an upward trend and no compelling life/medical story, you probably don't need to write one. Schools understand that first semester can be rough. If I were you, I would skip because I think it would be hard to write without sounding all poor-me.

I do feel your pain, though. The temptation to write something, anything! to explain my GPA is strong, but so far I'm resisting :-)

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:37 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:I believe the general consensus is, if you have an upward trend and no compelling life/medical story, you probably don't need to write one. Schools understand that first semester can be rough. If I were you, I would skip because I think it would be hard to write without sounding all poor-me.

I do feel your pain, though. The temptation to write something, anything! to explain my GPA is strong, but so far I'm resisting :-)

Do the law schools see only the LSDAS GPA or do they get the full transcripts? If they are going to be able to look at the transcripts and see that only one semester is what is holding me back then, it would seem, over the top to write a letter. If they do not see the actually see the transcripts it might be more worthwhile?

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:40 am

They get transcripts as well as your law school report.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”