Soon to be retired, applying to LS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Rick471
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:51 pm

Soon to be retired, applying to LS

Postby Rick471 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:25 am

After much thought, I have decided to apply to LS.

I am 39 years old and about to retire as a Lieutenant having worked 20 years for the city police department. I am married and have a 5-year old. My pension will bring me about 60k a year, so I always have that to fall back on.

I have not taken the Lsat yet, but have been studying for it and plan to take it in December. I will be 40 when, and if, I get accepted to LS. I want to attend my local state university so I am putting all my eggs into one basket. The cost to attend will be about 60,000.

I graduated from a medium-sized Baptist university in 2009 with a degree in Criminal Justice. My gpa is 3.56.

I suppose if I get in I will be 43 years old when I finish! Damn!!

Will I be looked at differently by the university because of my history? age? I have seen that I qualify for URM status since I am of Mexican descent. (Mother was born in Mexico).

Would I be smart in looking to apply to other schools?

What about when I am done? Will potential employers probably pick younger people because of my age?

Ill tell you guys/gals, I may be 39 but I feel like a high school kid all over again deciding what to do about my education! :)

User avatar
PKSebben
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Soon to be retired, applying to LS

Postby PKSebben » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:27 am

Any idea what kind of law you'd like to practice?

revolution724
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:16 am

Re: Soon to be retired, applying to LS

Postby revolution724 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:29 am

Your age will not prevent you from getting into school. Most of your history would if anything be a (small) bonus, and you could write a hell of a diversity statement. So yeah, what do you want to do?

Rick471
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:51 pm

Re: Soon to be retired, applying to LS

Postby Rick471 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:37 am

PKSebben wrote:Any idea what kind of law you'd like to practice?


I am not sure yet, but am definitely staying away from criminal law. I have a few friends that are attorneys and am probably leaning towards family or employment law.

Thanks

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Soon to be retired, applying to LS

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:38 am

Take the LSAT before processing your retirement papers.

Rick471
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:51 pm

Re: Soon to be retired, applying to LS

Postby Rick471 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:40 am

revolution724 wrote:Your age will not prevent you from getting into school. Most of your history would if anything be a (small) bonus, and you could write a hell of a diversity statement. So yeah, what do you want to do?



Not quite sure what a diversity statement is. My school requires a personal statement to apply. I am assuming it is the same?

Rick471
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:51 pm

Re: Soon to be retired, applying to LS

Postby Rick471 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:41 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Take the LSAT before processing your retirement papers.


Definitely. I will be doing the entire process while working. I will not even consider retiring until I have the acceptance letter in hand.

Thanks for the sound advice. :)

revolution724
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:16 am

Re: Soon to be retired, applying to LS

Postby revolution724 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:44 am

Rick471 wrote:
revolution724 wrote:Your age will not prevent you from getting into school. Most of your history would if anything be a (small) bonus, and you could write a hell of a diversity statement. So yeah, what do you want to do?



Not quite sure what a diversity statement is. My school requires a personal statement to apply. I am assuming it is the same?


It's not exactly the same thing. Everyone has to write a personal statement. However, if there are things about you that would add to the diversity of the incoming class, like for example, ethnicity, age, family status, rising from a poor socioeconomic background, etc. etc., you can write an additional statement describing how you would make the school more diverse, which they want. It's optional, but it's a nice thing to have to go with your applications.

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: Soon to be retired, applying to LS

Postby Rotor » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:45 am

I was 43 when I started law school after 20 years in the Navy. So far, I've only seen the positive parts of the experience factor. I've received some callbacks to firms (but haven't been to any yet) so initially it looks OK but I'll withhold final judgment until offers come in (or not). Just be prepared to answer the "Why LS?" and "What do you want to do/Where do you see yourself in x years?" questions clearly and definitively.

Good luck!

Edit: Also, you asked if you should look at other school options. In general, my response to that question is yes. What state school are you looking at now? What is keeping you local? Some of the answer also depends on what you want to do.

Rick471
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:51 pm

Re: Soon to be retired, applying to LS

Postby Rick471 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:12 am

Rotor wrote:I was 43 when I started law school after 20 years in the Navy. So far, I've only seen the positive parts of the experience factor. I've received some callbacks to firms (but haven't been to any yet) so initially it looks OK but I'll withhold final judgment until offers come in (or not). Just be prepared to answer the "Why LS?" and "What do you want to do/Where do you see yourself in x years?" questions clearly and definitively.

Good luck!

Edit: Also, you asked if you should look at other school options. In general, my response to that question is yes. What state school are you looking at now? What is keeping you local? Some of the answer also depends on what you want to do.


Thanks for some of what you have experienced. I live in a state where there is only one law school, University of New Mexico. I want to stay here because of my family. Don't get me wrong, I am committed and my wife is very supportive but I just would like to be at home while doing this. My wife has told me that she could manage if I had to go out-of-state, but I would rather not do that to her.

User avatar
PKSebben
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Soon to be retired, applying to LS

Postby PKSebben » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:15 am

Rick471 wrote:
Rotor wrote:I was 43 when I started law school after 20 years in the Navy. So far, I've only seen the positive parts of the experience factor. I've received some callbacks to firms (but haven't been to any yet) so initially it looks OK but I'll withhold final judgment until offers come in (or not). Just be prepared to answer the "Why LS?" and "What do you want to do/Where do you see yourself in x years?" questions clearly and definitively.

Good luck!

Edit: Also, you asked if you should look at other school options. In general, my response to that question is yes. What state school are you looking at now? What is keeping you local? Some of the answer also depends on what you want to do.


Thanks for some of what you have experienced. I live in a state where there is only one law school, University of New Mexico. I want to stay here because of my family. Don't get me wrong, I am committed and my wife is very supportive but I just would like to be at home while doing this. My wife has told me that she could manage if I had to go out-of-state, but I would rather not do that to her.


I think your goal should be to rock the LSAT so that you can get a hefty scholarship -- from New Mexico BIGLAW is likely foreclosed, but for family / employment law you should have a fighting chance out of law school. My advice would be to go law school as cheap as possible. Best of luck in the admissions process.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], kakistocracy, pleaseberkeley and 4 guests