How bad is it out there? I wan't to go to law school..don't

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
acrossthelake

Re: How bad is it out there? I wan't to go to law school..don't

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:01 pm

I'm much less stressed prelaw than I was premed. But that's an individual difference.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:02 pm

acrossthelake wrote:I'm much less stressed prelaw than I was premed. But that's an individual difference.

...because you can (not saying you are) major in underwater basket weaving?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:23 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:I'm much less stressed prelaw than I was premed. But that's an individual difference.

...because you can (not saying you are) major in underwater basket weaving?

I actually think underwater basket weaving sounds pretty difficult, but that's not the only bit. The LSAT was way easier than the MCAT would have been for me. I think I'll do better with law school material--I'm better at analyzing and memorizing rules than I am at remembering protein pathways and ion channels. Based on weak anecdote, I've seen how much my friends in law school study compared to those in med school, and the former work less than the latter. The latter tend to uh, crack, mentally while the former remain pretty stable. I much prefer 3 years of school ---> a couple years of stressful work, to 4 years of school ---> residency. etc.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:40 pm

acrossthelake wrote:actually think underwater basket weaving sounds pretty difficult, but that's not the only bit. The LSAT was way easier than the MCAT would have been for me. I think I'll do better with law school material--I'm better at analyzing and memorizing rules than I am at remembering protein pathways and ion channels. Based on weak anecdote, I've seen how much my friends in law school study compared to those in med school, and the former work less than the latter. The latter tend to uh, crack, mentally while the former remain pretty stable. I much prefer 3 years of school ---> a couple years of stressful work, to 4 years of school ---> residency. etc.

The whole medical school setup is just brutal. First you have to major in/ take extremely difficult coursework that is hard no matter what school you attend (unlike law), then the standardized test you have to take is brutal, then you have 4 more years of brutal coursework, then you have to go through a brutal residency. In the end the payoff is immense, but you really do have to go through hell to get there. I think medical school drop out rates are reasonably high as well.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:22 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:actually think underwater basket weaving sounds pretty difficult, but that's not the only bit. The LSAT was way easier than the MCAT would have been for me. I think I'll do better with law school material--I'm better at analyzing and memorizing rules than I am at remembering protein pathways and ion channels. Based on weak anecdote, I've seen how much my friends in law school study compared to those in med school, and the former work less than the latter. The latter tend to uh, crack, mentally while the former remain pretty stable. I much prefer 3 years of school ---> a couple years of stressful work, to 4 years of school ---> residency. etc.

The whole medical school setup is just brutal. First you have to major in/ take extremely difficult coursework that is hard no matter what school you attend (unlike law), then the standardized test you have to take is brutal, then you have 4 more years of brutal coursework, then you have to go through a brutal residency. In the end the payoff is immense, but you really do have to go through hell to get there. I think medical school drop out rates are reasonably high as well.

Premed isn't any more brutal than doing a science major. Med school's 2nd/3rd year is about as brutal as 1L where the other 3 years are about as hard as 3L. You also have rotations and stuff mixed in there, so it's a lot of practicality.

Residency is brutal only if you pick something that's brutal by the nature of it like.. surgery.

And, finally - people do *not* drop out of med school. It's so rare because people are actually PREPPED for med school with premed. From day 1, it shouldn't be anything new to a bio/chem/physics major. Hell, most Engineering and Comp. Sci. students can get away with it, too.

I know this through a lawyer who is finishing up med school. Just didn't like law - so he said fuck it and when to med school.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:42 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

Premed isn't any more brutal than doing a science major. Med school's 2nd/3rd year is about as brutal as 1L where the other 3 years are about as hard as 3L. You also have rotations and stuff mixed in there, so it's a lot of practicality.

Residency is brutal only if you pick something that's brutal by the nature of it like.. surgery.

And, finally - people do *not* drop out of med school. It's so rare because people are actually PREPPED for med school with premed. From day 1, it shouldn't be anything new to a bio/chem/physics major. Hell, most Engineering and Comp. Sci. students can get away with it, too.

I know this through a lawyer who is finishing up med school. Just didn't like law - so he said fuck it and when to med school.

Lol.

Do you know how difficult it is to get into med school?

Any retard with an undergrad degree can get into law school. And graduate. Just look at all the shitty TTT schools.

It's stupid to compare an MD to a JD. You are delusional if you think getting a JD is even near the difficulty of getting a MD.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:51 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

Lol.

Do you know how difficult it is to get into med school?

Any retard with an undergrad degree can get into law school. And graduate. Just look at all the shitty TTT schools.

It's stupid to compare an MD to a JD. You are delusional if you think getting a JD is even near the difficulty of getting a MD.

You're twisting my words. I never said it was easier to get into med school. I don't deny it's hard to get in. It's extremely competitive.

But sure, any retard can get into a TTT law school, just like any retard can get into a Caribbean med school. What's your point?

From what I've been told - by somebody who has done a JD and went through most of med school, they are of different schools of thought but the course loads are about the same. What's your source?

Besides, even if med school is hard, it's pretty much a 100% hire rate regardless of grades outside of research/academia vs. law school which requires top% for a chance to land something decent. They're both hard and geared for different types of people.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:06 pm

You're twisting my words. I never said it was easier to get into med school. I don't deny it's hard to get in. It's extremely competitive.

But sure, any retard can get into a TTT law school, just like any retard can get into a Caribbean med school. What's your point?

From what I've been told - by somebody who has done a JD and went through most of med school, they are of different schools of thought but the course loads are about the same. What's your source?

Besides, even if med school is hard, it's pretty much a 100% hire rate regardless of grades outside of research/academia vs. law school which requires top% for a chance to land something decent. They're both hard and geared for different types of people.

Not any retard can get into a Caribbean med school. Even a Caribbean med school is harder to get into than most law schools.

And we are talking about lawyers vs doctors. So it's comparing JD to a MD.

Part of that process is the process of getting admitted. It's silly not to compare the admission process if you are going to compare JD to an MD. That's leaving out one of the most essentials of the entire profession...

You were saying before that getting a JD is just as hard as getting a MD.

This just isn't true. No one in their right mind would say that getting a MD is as easy as getting a JD.

If you are talking about graduating top 10% at Yale compared to getting a MD that's a completely different story but what you were arguing was that a JD is just as difficult as getting an MD.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:37 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:

Not any retard can get into a Caribbean med school. Even a Caribbean med school is harder to get into than most law schools.

Edit: In case you're unable to decipher from the quotes, these are both med school grads(residents). One graduated and one dropped out to go to med school.
Part of that process is the process of getting admitted. It's silly not to compare the admission process if you are going to compare JD to an MD. That's leaving out one of the most essentials of the entire profession...

This just isn't true. No one in their right mind would say that getting a MD is as easy as getting a JD.

If you are talking about graduating top 10% at Yale compared to getting a MD that's a completely different story but what you were arguing was that a JD is just as difficult as getting an MD.

Alright slim, enjoy.
Law2Doc wrote:The higher attrition rate is likely related to the less stringent application process. You have to be more impressive to get into med school because the adcoms serve a gatekeeper function -- once you are in, in all probability you will become a physician. In law, they leave the gatekeeping function to the state bar -- so they don't screen as carefully, accept much bigger classes than med school, plenty of people drop out, some fail out, and about 30% of each state's law grads don't pass the bar. Of those who pass, a non-insignificant percentage find non-law or quasi-law jobs and never practice with their JD anyhow.

DoctorBagel wrote:Law school was a miserable experience for me for lots of reasons, but the time it required wasn't one. I guess I went to class most days, so that took up about 4 hours. I didn't do much other than that until about two weeks before exams. Then I studied my a&& off. So, it was pretty chill aside for the last few weeks of the semester. My law school had pretty much zero busy work, too, which is the one thing I'm really starting to hate about med school.

Editing to add that I did know people who studied all the time in law school, so there's probably some individual variation. You are graded on a curve, so if you're really driven or obsessive, it might be hard to stop studying. I did have friends in law school who studied more than I study now in medical school.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=374799

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:28 pm

i dont think the two of you are even arguing about the same thing lol

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:19 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Edit: In case you're unable to decipher from the quotes, these are both med school grads(residents). One graduated and one dropped out to go to med school.

Alright slim, enjoy.
Law2Doc wrote:The higher attrition rate is likely related to the less stringent application process. You have to be more impressive to get into med school because the adcoms serve a gatekeeper function -- once you are in, in all probability you will become a physician. In law, they leave the gatekeeping function to the state bar -- so they don't screen as carefully, accept much bigger classes than med school, plenty of people drop out, some fail out, and about 30% of each state's law grads don't pass the bar. Of those who pass, a non-insignificant percentage find non-law or quasi-law jobs and never practice with their JD anyhow.

DoctorBagel wrote:Law school was a miserable experience for me for lots of reasons, but the time it required wasn't one. I guess I went to class most days, so that took up about 4 hours. I didn't do much other than that until about two weeks before exams. Then I studied my a&& off. So, it was pretty chill aside for the last few weeks of the semester. My law school had pretty much zero busy work, too, which is the one thing I'm really starting to hate about med school.

Editing to add that I did know people who studied all the time in law school, so there's probably some individual variation. You are graded on a curve, so if you're really driven or obsessive, it might be hard to stop studying. I did have friends in law school who studied more than I study now in medical school.

Because anecdotes are facts right?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:23 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Alright slim, enjoy.

Because anecdotes are facts right?

Well, these are people are sharing their genuine experiences. Do you have any facts? Because if you do, let's stop playing pole fancies. :wink:

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:29 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:It's stupid to compare an MD to a JD. You are delusional if you think getting a JD is even near the difficulty of getting a MD.

i dont think Resolute Pear was saying he thinks getting any JD is as hard as getting any MD. if he was though, then i'd probably disagree as well, but his points seem to suggest otherwise.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:35 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:With a 3.8 GPA at an Ivey League undergraduate school, why do you think that you are too weak for medical school ? My understanding of medical school is that it is a grueling experience in terms of hours, workload & memorization, but is not necessarily unusually intellectually demanding--at least not so demanding that a 3.8 GPA from an Ivey should shy away.
Pursue medical school or schooling to become a physician's assistant before law school if your main concern is economic stability. Otherwise try to do well on the LSAT & attend law school on a full tuition scholarship so that you can afford to pay a PA or doctor for stress relief medicine afterward.

LoL at high GPA from an Ivy being automatically difficult and demanding to get....

I mean, if he majored in a hard science or math, a 3.8 is hard to get---from even a third tier public school. If he majored in poli sci or the like, he has no idea of the difficulty of a science/science practitioners degree (though it certainly does not require the overall intelligence of a research degree, it is difficult coursework that you can't write mushy essays to get out of)

Math/science at my Ivy school is notoriously difficult. But, no, i didn't get by on mushy papers either. Everything at my school is very difficult. I just don't have the head for math/science, although I did get A's in the math/science requirements I took.
I would never be able to ace organic chem and physics for med school. I strugged to get B+ in chem and physics in high school (honors courses)

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:48 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:It's stupid to compare an MD to a JD. You are delusional if you think getting a JD is even near the difficulty of getting a MD.

i dont think Resolute Pear was saying he thinks getting any JD is as hard as getting any MD. if he was though, then i'd probably disagree as well, but his points seem to suggest otherwise.

I am comparing a JD program of equal "prestige", since even the ranks don't mean crap and prestige seems to carry between JD and MD's in the same school.

i.e. Harvard MD vs Harvard JD.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:55 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

I am comparing a JD program of equal "prestige", since even the ranks don't mean crap and prestige seems to carry between JD and MD's in the same school.

thats pretty specific, and even more subjective, because the issue of "prestige" comes into play...unless you literally mean within the same university

in which case, in those specific circumstances, iunno you could be right i suppose lol -- but my point was i dont think that is what whymeohgodno is arguing; the two of you really are arguing diff. points

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:57 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

thats pretty specific, and even more subjective, because the issue of "prestige" comes into play...unless you literally mean within the same university

in which case, in those specific circumstances, iunno you could be right i suppose lol -- but my point was i dont think that is what whymeohgodno is arguing; the two of you really are arguing diff. points

Perhaps if we were kings of different nations, I would declare war on a misunderstanding. Would I back down? Nah.

That's the internet. We're all kings of our own nations.. in our minds. :|

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:40 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Perhaps if we were kings of different nations, I would declare war on a misunderstanding. Would I back down? Nah.

--ImageRemoved--

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:00 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:Perhaps if we were kings of different nations, I would declare war on a misunderstanding. Would I back down? Nah.

[img]

Says the guy with a pineapple avatar. 8)

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:13 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

You never stated that. You just said JD vs MD. You never said a JD vs a MD with equal prestige.

A JD don't mean shit. Anyone can get a JD.

If you got a MD, everyone knows you are either smart or at least above average intellectually.

If you have a JD, you're most likely 160k+ in debt without a job.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:20 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

You never stated that. You just said JD vs MD. You never said a JD vs a MD with equal prestige.

A JD don't mean shit. Anyone can get a JD.

If you got a MD, everyone knows you are either smart or at least above average intellectually.

If you have a JD, you're most likely 160k+ in debt without a job.

I'm sure you're a special snowflake, but:

Obvious troll is obvious.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:22 pm

The first one to use the "other guy is a troll" argument automatically loses.

GG no re.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:26 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:

GG no re.

You're on a law school forum yelling up and down and a JD is worthless... But, nope - I'm the loser. You're right.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:28 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

GG no re.

You're on a law school forum yelling up and down and a JD is worthless... But, nope - I'm the loser. You're right.

A JD from any average school compared to an MD from any average school?

Yeh. JD=worthless in comparison.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:34 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

GG no re.

A JD from any average school compared to an MD from any average school?

Yeh. JD=worthless in comparison.

Enlighten me. What is this 'Average' you speak of?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”