"The Herd"

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
spanktheduck

Re: "The Herd"

Postby spanktheduck » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:13 pm

r6_philly wrote:
spanktheduck wrote:
Sole practitioners do not get clients based on where they went to school.

How do they get clients usually? Do you know of any publication or study or survey that shows the source of solo/small firm practitioners' clients? (serious question)

The sense I get is it is mostly referrals. I have never gotten a sense that it matters where you go to school. Check out jdunderground, there are more practicing attorneys (and solos) there.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:13 pm

spanktheduck wrote:The sense I get is it is mostly referrals. I have never gotten a sense that it matters where you go to school. Check out jdunderground, there are more practicing attorneys (and solos) there.

Judging from my ug and grad school's different alumni networks, I feel like the alumni network for a T14 would be significantly more useful than a non-T14 unless the school is number 1 in a region without a T14. If referral is one of the most significant source of clients, wouldn't it be worth it to go to a school with the better resources after graduation?

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:24 pm

blackwater88 wrote:RETAKE

lol

iamsinistar

Postby iamsinistar » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:16 am

whymeohgodno wrote:OP obviously attends a TTT school and is trying to justify graduating at the bottom 10% of his class with this thread.

How did you figure me out? I'm actually filling out 1L apps as we speak.

iamsinistar

Postby iamsinistar » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:22 am

slacker wrote:OP does realize that his plan requires getting a job at a law firm prior to starting one's own business, right?

So what is the problem with focusing on getting a job at a law firm out of law school?

Oh there is nothing wrong with focusing on getting a job out of law school.

The issue I have is that many on this forum correlate a T14 with a good job, and a good job being the only reason to go to law school.

All I am arguing is that there's more to a career in law than hoping some cocky prick pays you 10 cents on the dollar for every hour you bill as their slave.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:49 am

The vast majority of people work for somebody else. Seems dumb and idealistic to think you can beat the odds and be one of the few who actually work for themselves.

Getting a job, good or otherwise, is the only reason to go to law school. It's a professional school. If I really wanted to understand the law I would save the 6 figures of debt and go to a library. If I just wanted to pass the bar and have Esq. after my name I would go to some provisionally accredited shithole for a thousand bucks so I could sit for the bar.

On the other hand, and luckily for me, law school combines two things I desire to do, work with legal matters and be gainfully employed.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:35 am

iamsinistar wrote:Oh there is nothing wrong with focusing on getting a job out of law school.

The issue I have is that many on this forum correlate a T14 with a good job, and a good job being the only reason to go to law school.

All I am arguing is that there's more to a career in law than hoping some cocky prick pays you 10 cents on the dollar for every hour you bill as their slave.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:38 pm

bk1 wrote:The vast majority of people work for somebody else. Seems dumb and idealistic to think you can beat the odds and be one of the few who actually work for themselves.

Getting a job, good or otherwise, is the only reason to go to law school. It's a professional school. If I really wanted to understand the law I would save the 6 figures of debt and go to a library. If I just wanted to pass the bar and have Esq. after my name I would go to some provisionally accredited shithole for a thousand bucks so I could sit for the bar.

On the other hand, and luckily for me, law school combines two things I desire to do, work with legal matters and be gainfully employed.

I thought in most states you have to go to a ABA accredited school to pass the bar. Even the provisional ones here in PA is still 3-years and cost about the same (Drexel). So might as well go somewhere enjoyable and have better resources with the same cost. But I don't think calling getting a job (as employee for someone else) is the ONLY reason is entirely accurate.

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:44 pm

r6_philly wrote:
bk1 wrote:The vast majority of people work for somebody else. Seems dumb and idealistic to think you can beat the odds and be one of the few who actually work for themselves.

I thought in most states you have to go to a ABA accredited school to pass the bar. Even the provisional ones here in PA is still 3-years and cost about the same (Drexel). So might as well go somewhere enjoyable and have better resources with the same cost. But I don't think calling getting a job (as employee for someone else) is the ONLY reason is entirely accurate.

Not in California, technically.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:46 pm

hijodehombre wrote:Not in California, technically.

So if you are admitted to the CA bar, would you then be able to be admitted to other state bars?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:50 pm

r6_philly wrote:
hijodehombre wrote:Not in California, technically.

So if you are admitted to the CA bar, would you then be able to be admitted to other state bars?

No. CA, unlike most states, has no reciprocity with other state bars.

EDIT: I realized you might be talking about being able to sit for another state's bar exam-I believe you cannot if you did not go to an ABA approved school.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:58 pm

r6_philly wrote:I thought in most states you have to go to a ABA accredited school to pass the bar. Even the provisional ones here in PA is still 3-years and cost about the same (Drexel). So might as well go somewhere enjoyable and have better resources with the same cost. But I don't think calling getting a job (as employee for someone else) is the ONLY reason is entirely accurate.

As the other poster noted in CA you can go to a California Bar accredited school. My point was mainly to find a school where you can sit for the bar that costs something on the order of under 5 figures.

Getting a job may not be the only reason but it is far and away the primary reason, without it everything else is pointless. It is the reason to spend 3 years and 6 figures.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:15 pm

bk1 wrote:Getting a job may not be the only reason but it is far and away the primary reason, without it everything else is pointless. It is the reason to spend 3 years and 6 figures.

I am sure it is the reason for you and perhaps 99% of 0L's, whether they realize or not. There are still exceptions. 3 years is not a long time and 6 figures is not a lot of money for many people who have had a career, so it isn't accurate to assume they are all looking for high paying jobs.

Also think about this: many people end up spending the 3 years and 6 figures and end up not liking the jobs they get, so maybe the job prospects shouldn't be the only reason? I feel like I am less likely to be dissappointed because I am attracted to the craft of practicing law (I may still end up being wrong on this) and my satisfaction with my legal education is not going to be dependent on landing a big law job.

haydee

Postby haydee » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:28 pm

r6_philly wrote:
bk1 wrote:Getting a job may not be the only reason but it is far and away the primary reason, without it everything else is pointless. It is the reason to spend 3 years and 6 figures.

I am sure it is the reason for you and perhaps 99% of 0L's, whether they realize or not. There are still exceptions. 3 years is not a long time and 6 figures is not a lot of money for many people who have had a career, so it isn't accurate to assume they are all looking for high paying jobs..

A job =/= A high paying job. I don't expect the jobs I want to be especially lucrative, but I assume they will be competitive.

mindybluehammer

Postby mindybluehammer » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:

I am sure it is the reason for you and perhaps 99% of 0L's, whether they realize or not. There are still exceptions. 3 years is not a long time and 6 figures is not a lot of money for many people who have had a career, so it isn't accurate to assume they are all looking for high paying jobs.

Also think about this: many people end up spending the 3 years and 6 figures and end up not liking the jobs they get, so maybe the job prospects shouldn't be the only reason? I feel like I am less likely to be dissappointed because I am attracted to the craft of practicing law (I may still end up being wrong on this) and my satisfaction with my legal education is not going to be dependent on landing a big law job.

Indeed, coming from a wealthy family without any real incentive to work I just decided to give it a whirl...may check out culinary school after. I actually find it surprising so many people are willing to risk what could be devastating debt to attend ls in this market.

Grond

Postby Grond » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:48 pm

In before Matthies.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:06 pm

r6_philly wrote:

I agree with you. I didn't mean to imply that exceptions didn't exist but that they are exceedingly rare enough to be moot in the context of this thread's debate.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”