"The Herd"

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
iamsinistar

"The Herd"

Postby iamsinistar » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:06 am

I can only imagine the tunnel-vision some of you approach law school with - It's all about jobs... Who gets the best ones, who gets the glamorous ones, who gets the leftover ones?

What ever happened to that entrepreneurial spirit?

How is law school any different from any other field where you get some crappy job where you learn the ropes, then open up your own business and be as successful as you want to be?

Should we talk about my long-time friend who went to Southwestern Law, had a good business-sense, worked for a few years for a small firm making less than everyone else, and now has a firm where he employs UCLA and USC grads?

You T14 chasers are certainly going to get nice jobs out of school, but the one difference between you and me? Even if/when you make partner, you will always be someone's employee.

SuperFreak

Re: "The Herd"

Postby SuperFreak » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:08 am

There is no entrepreneurship in law.

You won't be able to open your own business without working 5+ years, learning the ropes about practice and then borrowing money. Even then you can always fail. Your friend may or may not make as much money as a partner at a big firm.
Last edited by SuperFreak on Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:08 am

Annoying post is annoying.

iamsinistar

Postby iamsinistar » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:14 am

SuperFreak wrote:There is no entrepreneurship in law.

You won't be able to open your own business without working 5+ years, learning the ropes about practice and then borrowing money. Even then you can always fail. Your friend may or may not make as much money as a partner at a big firm.

Your point?

So I work 5 years, borrow money, and my business can fail. How is that any different from any other business in any other industry?

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:18 am

stop trying to justify you situation to random people on the internet.

pelmen74

Postby pelmen74 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:18 am

iamsinistar wrote:
You T14 chasers are certainly going to get nice jobs out of school, but the one difference between you and me? Even if/when you make partner, you will always be someone's employee.

Right...because if you graduate from a T14, you will never be able to open your own law firm/ business/ sheep farm.
And all of us gunner T14ers, we're all nerds with no business sense ourselves. We will definitely need Southwestern Alpha males to tell us what to do for the rest of our live.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:21 am

--ImageRemoved--

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:28 am

iamsinistar wrote:I can only imagine the tunnel-vision some of you approach law school with - It's all about jobs... Who gets the best ones, who gets the glamorous ones, who gets the leftover ones?

What ever happened to that entrepreneurial spirit?

How is law school any different from any other field where you get some crappy job where you learn the ropes, then open up your own business and be as successful as you want to be?

Should we talk about my long-time friend who went to Southwestern Law, had a good business-sense, worked for a few years for a small firm making less than everyone else, and now has a firm where he employs UCLA and USC grads?

I dunno, is it the 100k+ debt load? Is the fact that a JD requires an additional 3 years of expensive schooling beyond your hypothetical business degree? Is it because the phrase "as successful as you want to be" has no meaning for the majority of small business owners? That having been said, the first line of your post is hilarious. I think you and this guy http://abovethelaw.com/2010/08/quote-of ... r-freedom/ would get long juuuuust fine.

WTF you guys want jerbz so bad? Only lame-o strivers go to lawl school for teh jerbz!

haydee

Postby haydee » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:31 am

iamsinistar wrote:Should we talk about my long-time friend who went to Southwestern Law, had a good business-sense, worked for a few years for a small firm making less than everyone else, and now has a firm where he employs UCLA and USC grads?

I feel like the thrust of your post would be better served if he were hiring Southwestern grads.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:45 am

umad/failed at life?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:11 am

OP obviously attends a TTT school and is trying to justify graduating at the bottom 10% of his class with this thread.

Postby 2014 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:27 am

whymeohgodno wrote:OP obviously attends a TTT school and is trying to justify graduating at the bottom 10% of his class with this thread.

++
He's going to get 5 years of doc review learning the ropes before opening a business which tanks.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:29 am

Cool story, bro.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:13 pm

At my grad school orientation:

"Most of you are here because you would be able to succeed no mater what, we are just here to help you get there faster and easier."

I think OP's point is valid in that if you are a person able to succeed, you will find a way. But T14 does provide you with more and better tools, so you can get there faster and easier.

Succeeding in business requires competency in running and growing the business, and luck. Most people do not have all of that. It is less about actual capabilities in the particular field, so scores/gpa (and therefore the ranking of the school you attend) don't necessary indicate anyone's chance at succeeding as a entrepreneur.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:28 pm

1) Go to Acme Law and pick up that JD.
2) Start your own firm.
3) ????
4) Profit.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:29 pm

iamsinistar wrote:Should we talk about my long-time friend who went to Southwestern Law, had a good business-sense, worked for a few years for a small firm making less than everyone else, and now has a firm where he employs UCLA and USC grads?

No.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:31 pm

beachbum wrote:1) Go to Acme Law and pick up that JD.
2) Start your own firm.
3) ????
4) Profit.

All joking aside, I still wonder if it would make the most sense for me to go to the lowest cost school if my intention is to practice on my own. However I don't think I can establish the same network and connections from a lower ranked school. But the lure of a full ride is still great, considering that I will have to incurr additional debt to start my firm.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:40 pm

r6_philly wrote:
2) Start your own firm.
3) ????
4) Profit.

All joking aside, I still wonder if it would make the most sense for me to go to the lowest cost school if my intention is to practice on my own. However I don't think I can establish the same network and connections from a lower ranked school. But the lure of a full ride is still great, considering that I will have to incurr additional debt to start my firm.

If your profile stats are accurate, you're going to have some pretty good scholarship offers to some pretty good schools. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Postby 2014 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:
2) Start your own firm.
3) ????
4) Profit.

I would imagine that you would want to go to a school with lay prestige wherever you want to practice if you plan on opening your own firm. Most lower schools do not have that.

slacker

Postby slacker » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:30 pm

OP does realize that his plan requires getting a job at a law firm prior to starting one's own business, right?

So what is the problem with focusing on getting a job at a law firm out of law school?

spanktheduck

Postby spanktheduck » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:43 pm

2014 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
2) Start your own firm.
3) ????
4) Profit.

I would imagine that you would want to go to a school with lay prestige wherever you want to practice if you plan on opening your own firm. Most lower schools do not have that.

Sole practitioners do not get clients based on where they went to school.

blackwater88

Postby blackwater88 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:02 pm

RETAKE

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 pm

spanktheduck wrote:
Sole practitioners do not get clients based on where they went to school.

How do they get clients usually? Do you know of any publication or study or survey that shows the source of solo/small firm practitioners' clients? (serious question)

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:57 pm

So, OP, what do you do ITE with no credit? And I'm sure your friend in the Southwest is doing great, what with the real estate collapse. Maybe he's in on some subprime hit and run debt collection shit?

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:04 pm

i thought this thread was going to be about Freud

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”