Undergraduate school ONLINE --> Law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ComatoseClown

Re: Undergraduate school ONLINE --> Law school?

Postby ComatoseClown » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:00 pm

online schools have a degree of sketcheyness to them. while subconscious, think if you had to choose between an entry level kid from the University of Cali or an entry level kid from no-name online school. at least, if I was doing the hiring, I would always choose the UC kid just cause how do I know the online kid didn't jack-off and play WoW all day long for four years? subconsciously there is a negative stigma attached to online schools and that is reflected in kids from online schools having worse results then would otherwise be expected in the t14 (outside of the t20 most schools are just competing for rankings).

Sure, there is a stigma. But isn't it safe to say that this particular stigma rests within the segment of the population who are elitists, and very concerned with prestige? I mean, if it's an admissions officer who is wanting the best possible and most diverse law school class, why wouldn't he be holistic in evaluating each applicant's application? And I'm not one of those types who sits on the computer 12/7 and plays WoW. I consider myself to be engaged and active in extra-curricular softs.

based on what i saw last cycle, online schools diminish your chances more than you think but you can still get into top schools.

Can you elaborate on what you "saw" last cycle in regards to online schools hurting one's chances? I just want more evidence that online schools really pose harm for a UG online applicant when compared to a UG brick and mortar applicant.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 am

look at it this way. IF law school doesnt work out, what are you going to be able to do with a degree from an online university? Sure some careers and fields dont care where you got the degree, but others will ( not to mention possible alumni / career service networking). You should think about all possible outcomes, and not just law school. If you are happy wiht the prospects of a career path from an online school, then go for it. If you are dead set on law school or bust, but would like some sort of safety net ( career services and alumni networking, for whatever help they may have- most likely not a whole lot) that a traditional college offers, then wait out the semester or year.

OP make sure to think carefully about all possible outcomes, not just your law school application cycle outcome. Online schools cost a lot of money, maybe even more than tradtional college. Its important to consider all possible outcomes before you go through wiht any decison.

good luck with whatever you choose

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:31 am

Just curious - why can you not apply for the Winter or Spring quarter (or semester - don't know which system it's on)? Are you getting locked out for the whole year because of a paperwork mishap?

lbeezy

Postby lbeezy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:32 am

ComatoseClown wrote:Sure, there is a stigma. But isn't it safe to say that this particular stigma rests within the segment of the population who are elitists, and very concerned with prestige? I mean, if it's an admissions officer who is wanting the best possible and most diverse law school class, why wouldn't he be holistic in evaluating each applicant's application? And I'm not one of those types who sits on the computer 12/7 and plays WoW. I consider myself to be engaged and active in extra-curricular softs.

For example, law school admissions people?

dtubin

Postby dtubin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:50 pm

NayBoer wrote:Just curious - why can you not apply for the Winter or Spring quarter (or semester - don't know which system it's on)? Are you getting locked out for the whole year because of a paperwork mishap?

UC's windows are closed for the Winter/Spring. It's on a quarter system. The only one opening up is for Fall 2011 in October 2010. My buddy got the shaft from UC Irvine because he accidentally put one of his courses from a different institution. Sucks because we were supposed to carpool to school :/

I would refrain from going online. If this was my situation I would travel the world for a year. Actually, that wouldn't be half bad assuming you had some cash in your pocket.

Dino

ComatoseClown

Postby ComatoseClown » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:27 pm

@ dtubin: That's so unfortunate! What is your buddy going to do now?

And to anyone else: Got any more opinions about the prospects of an online UG degree --> Law school?

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:35 pm

ComatoseClown wrote:I'm a transfer student who was accepted to UC San Diego for this fall, but my admission has now been permanently revoked. All UCs, most privates, and CSUs have already passed their deadlines. Now I'm stuck without a college for an entire year.

With that, I did much research and find that some [accredited] online schools have bachelor's programs beginning in October. These online degree schools seem to be very much flexible.

My question: Does it matter to Law schools if our UG is an Online school (WASC accredited)? (I did attend an on-campus community college for two years.) Will our GPA, say if it is a 3.8, be equated the same as say a 3.8 from a UC school?

The specific school I'm looking at is TUI University -- http://www.tuiu.edu/degreeprograms.html)

Anecdote --> At my T1, I knew one guy from Phoenix who ended up on law review, and one guy from Peru State (brick and mortar but with online degree offering) who ended up on the external mock trial team. Both got good jobs in their target markets.

Obviously getting an online degree isn't ideal. But its not the kiss of death either. If you get a pretty solid LSAT, it'll legitimize your online GPA. A good LSAT will legitimize a lot of things.

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:13 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:If adcomms don't care about whether its online or traditional, do online. A friend and I thought a while ago about putting people through Concordia online, getting them 4.0s and having them prep for the LSAT the whole time, lol.

According to Concordia, they are opening a law school in Boise next fall. Go fig.

dtubin

Postby dtubin » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:07 pm

ComatoseClown wrote:@ dtubin: That's so unfortunate! What is your buddy going to do now?

And to anyone else: Got any more opinions about the prospects of an online UG degree --> Law school?

You won't believe it. The guy went into the admissions for his first appeal and got denied. Literally hustled his way through summer talking to everyone up to the dean. Nothing happened. Basically, threw in one more appeal. UCI told him they rarely even glance at second appeals.

Just yesterday: Long story short, he got back in.

Crazy.

I'm happy for him now we got classes together. He's not going to law school but it's nice to have a friend in a T50 school : )

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”